Small gifts for PH and tracker

SMALL is the operative term, if you want to give at the beginning of the hunt.

I tip at the end of the hunt, and send gifts after the hunt, after I determine what they really need.

I'm my last case, they had an unlimited supply of baseball caps and shirts.

I mean every area is different but I always take a few leatherman like tools, zip ties, alcohol lens wipes and duct tape. These always seem to have a place they are needed at any camp haha. Also always have about 100ft of paracord in my suitcase in case I need in in my suitcase (always seems to come in handy and can be used as shoe laces). I don’t think any of these tings are necessary beyond my own wants but always seem to get used no matter what camp I am in.

The tip at the end is what they want most of all so never give stuff if it affects the tip value.

I wouldnt give any gift at start of hunt unless a previous personal relationship was established...too "bribeish". U.S. cash is king for end of trip tips, no matter what, no gift is appropriate in place of tip, but especially for trackers/skinners, any knife for a personal gift on top is always happily accepted...be sure you show them any locking mechanism, etc.

Going on my first Safari in 12 days. Do you normally take a small gift for PH and tracker? If so what are so ideas?
@jimbo1972 - My “gift” is always cash….I’m Not dating the guy - he can buy his own gifts and I think might prefer that (get exactly what he wants)

Just going by what my PHs are telling me. My African hunting buddy here formerly owned a hunting/fishing lodge in the far north. He said the same thing: don't give the Native guides cash or they won't show up to work for a couple of days ... at least. Lodge owner gives them the tips at the end of the season. I'm sure there are individual exceptions. Problem is one exceptional guide/tracker gets cash in hand, then they all think they should have it. The tracker on my first trip pulled a disappearing act second day and we had to go into the village to dig him up. He was loopy. We were hours late getting after kudu and you know how important it is to be looking for them at first light. The guy's shoes were rags. I had an extra pair of boots I could give him but PH said NO. He'd just sell them and drink up the money. Happened before.

I see many operators' websites where they advise against giving cash tips directly to trackers, especially US currency. Of course, PH's cash tip is always US dollars and handed directly to him. That is standard.
@Ontario Hunter - My PH in TZ was very specific on “how to tip”…I asked for his recommendations and he said: Wait until the hunt is over (10 days) then said that I MUST hand each tip directly to the staff member - it Must come directly form me. He wrote out recommended amounts for each staff member and I was surprised how many people I was “expected” to tip (10-11 staff plus my PH). I would Not ever do that again, his “recommendation” for Staff was very generous compared to what others on this Forum seem to adhere to…. But I had a good safari and liked everyone involved.

@Ontario Hunter - My PH in TZ was very specific on “how to tip”…I asked for his recommendations and he said: Wait until the hunt is over (10 days) then said that I MUST hand each tip directly to the staff member - it Must come directly form me. He wrote out recommended amounts for each staff member and I was surprised how many people I was “expected” to tip (10-11 staff plus my PH). I would Not ever do that again, his “recommendation” for Staff was very generous compared to what others on this Forum seem to adhere to…. But I had a good safari and liked everyone involved.
I suspect one reason my operator waited to dispense tips till the end of season family party is there was a town nearby. Drinking was a problem because booze was very accessible. If the tracker gets gassed up and doesn't show up at 6:00 a.m. to leave, the PH can't just go grab another. Also, the lodge owner's wife had a big heart and wives of staff knew it. The ladies could get to her. I saw that first hand (funny story). Staff were paid regularly of course and received ample benefits besides the tips, particularly leftover food and meat that was not sold (lungs and stomach were very much sought after). Anyway, it's a system that seemed to work for them.

Going on my first Safari in 12 days. Do you normally take a small gift for PH and tracker? If so what are so ideas?

Things they cannot get that cost them a fortune:

Energizer Lithium AA batteries (for their trail cameras)
Old ipads that are no longer upgradable/supportable and card reading dongles (so the scouts can check cameras)
Money.
Money.
Money.
Obsolete iphones. Prices for used iphones are 3x the price in the States.
USB rechargeable premium flashlights from Surefire, Fenix, or Streamlight (good ones)
Quality trail cameras and memory cards
Did I mention batteries, GOOD energizer lithium AAs? (and only those, because they need lasting batteries, not shitty duracels)
GOOD binoculars. There was a time steiner 8x33mm binos on closeout (MSRP $450) could be had for $80. An armored steiner is a great backup pair for the PH or one he can give to scouts and trackers.
Gunsmith tool kit. Africans have no good gunsmithing tools and they ruin their rifles using the wrong thing to tighten bolts. Wheeler precision sets for $50 are awesome.

Whatever you do, don't bring them multi-tools or knives. Everyone brings them and leaves them at camp, everyone pays more for them here than you can buy them there. Same for cigarettes and alcohol...they pay less than we do by a considerable margin.

Yeah, I haven't tried their hard stuff but South African beer is outstanding. I'd be ashamed to give them American crap. "Uh ... yeah, thanks ... [blech!]"

First - Gifts are not tips...EVER. Gifts are for greetings and welcoming. Tips are income for work performed and showing appreciation.

Cash is KING, but is not the best gift idea. A nice stainless paring knife and sharpener are always welcome. Knife & sharpener can be had for less than $15 total. Small price to pay for nice looking hides. We will take about 10 of them so everyone gets one. We also bring some cold weather fleece Army hats, neck gaiters and some boonies as well.

1719859307186.png

1719859156645.png

While both greatly appreciate any gesture of appreciation cash is the most important thing to them. However my hunt with Wintershoek this past April was so outstanding and my PH was just so outstanding I gave him my cash tip AND my Swaro binoculars both of which he greatly appreciated based on the tears in his eyes. The key thing was I was happier than he was given how much he surpassed all expectations. It is awesome to hear if I understood correctly this is your first safari…SO EXCITED for you!!!!! Enjoy every moment!!! You will be back!!!!

Things they cannot get that cost them a fortune:

Energizer Lithium AA batteries (for their trail cameras)
Old ipads that are no longer upgradable/supportable and card reading dongles (so the scouts can check cameras)
Money.
Money.
Money.
Obsolete iphones. Prices for used iphones are 3x the price in the States.
USB rechargeable premium flashlights from Surefire, Fenix, or Streamlight (good ones)
Quality trail cameras and memory cards
Did I mention batteries, GOOD energizer lithium AAs? (and only those, because they need lasting batteries, not shitty duracels)
GOOD binoculars. There was a time steiner 8x33mm binos on closeout (MSRP $450) could be had for $80. An armored steiner is a great backup pair for the PH or one he can give to scouts and trackers.
Gunsmith tool kit. Africans have no good gunsmithing tools and they ruin their rifles using the wrong thing to tighten bolts. Wheeler precision sets for $50 are awesome.

Whatever you do, don't bring them multi-tools or knives. Everyone brings them and leaves them at camp, everyone pays more for them here than you can buy them there. Same for cigarettes and alcohol...they pay less than we do by a considerable margin.
There you go guys and girls brilliant list

Double mosquito net for families I think would not go a miss.

Double mosquito net for families I think would not go a miss.
Millions of those were given away to reduce malaria. You’ll find them getting used as fishing nets by poachers.

I left a box of 300WM Barnes TTSX for my PH. He was very, very appreciative.

You have spewed so much BS in this one post it is actually astounding.

End of the hunt we call the trackers, skinners and other staff (actual real professionals at their jobs, not just a farmhand that goes drinking) together and the clients tip them in SA Rand. They appreciate it enormously and there is no chance the oufitter/ ph can keep money from them.

I have just returned from three weeks hunting back to back with two groups of American clients. The staff all received good tips from the clients after the first group was done, and worked extremely hard with the next group, knowing there was incentive to perform.

Making blanket statements about “Native staff” speaks words about your lack of insight about the continent and the hunting industry. Those men and women are the unsung heroes of the hunt, feeding you, keeping the lodge clean, finding animals and caping trophies until late at night when the client enjoys dinner and a drink.

As @Mark A Ouellette mentioned in another thread. When it comes to men, judge them one at a time.
Very well said and spot on. I'll just add this:

The currency of preference will depend on the country.

In South Africa it's hard for the Safari staff to exchange USD for Rand, and if they did they would likely pay a significant fee for the exchange, so tip them in Rand.

In Zimbabwe the USD is the unofficial official currency (or is it official unofficial currency?). Zim has a new currency of their own called the ZiG, which stands for Zimbabwe Gold (it's Gold backed currency, remember when the USD was?). A great idea but there seems to be some issue relating to loss of value almost immediately when you receive ZiG. So in Zimbabwe tip in USD, it spends everywhere.

For other countries ask your outfitter.

And, don't be a cheapskate.
  • A stingy person; a miser.
  • Someone who stingily avoids spending money.
  • By extension, someone who doesn't give freely.
The trackers, skinners, driver, camp manager, chef, and all the other camp staff are professionals at their job (if they aren't, you are hunting with the wrong outfitter). They are what make Safaris special, and successful. Tip them well. There is a hierarchy so check with the outfitter. Best to tip and thank them one at a time, individually. While still at home I take a bunch of envelopes, label them, put the allocated amount for each in their respective envelope (for the camp staff I usually put an amount in a single envelope and talk with the outfitter to find out how it should be divvied up). At the end of the hunt I hand em out.

And of course the PH gets a tip.

And anything other than money should not be considered part of the tip. It's just an added nicety. That includes ammo.

Very well said and spot on. I'll just add this:

The currency of preference will depend on the country.

In South Africa it's hard for the Safari staff to exchange USD for Rand, and if they did they would likely pay a significant fee for the exchange, so tip them in Rand.

In Zimbabwe the USD is the unofficial official currency (or is it official unofficial currency?). Zim has a new currency of their own called the ZiG, which stands for Zimbabwe Gold (it's Gold backed currency, remember when the USD was?). A great idea but there seems to be some issue relating to loss of value almost immediately when you receive ZiG. So in Zimbabwe tip in USD, it spends everywhere.

For other countries ask your outfitter.

And, don't be a cheapskate.
  • A stingy person; a miser.
  • Someone who stingily avoids spending money.
  • By extension, someone who doesn't give freely.
The trackers, skinners, driver, camp manager, chef, and all the other camp staff are professionals at their job (if they aren't, you are hunting with the wrong outfitter). They are what make Safaris special, and successful. Tip them well. There is a hierarchy so check with the outfitter. Best to tip and thank them one at a time, individually. While still at home I take a bunch of envelopes, label them, put the allocated amount for each in their respective envelope (for the camp staff I usually put an amount in a single envelope and talk with the outfitter to find out how it should be divvied up). At the end of the hunt I hand em out.

And of course the PH gets a tip.

And anything other than money should not be considered part of the tip. It's just an added nicety. That includes ammo.
My favorites are the trackers and camp staff…please don’t misunderstand me I absolutely love and take good care of my PHs and they greatly appreciate it! It’s just to see a trackers eyes light up when you put either 2 $100 bills or 8 $20’s after they have given their all for me in 100 degree temperatures without a single complaint and a smile on their face is just so priceless too me! I got one of my biggest thrills this past safari when the trackers started joking with me and asked me to have a beer with them at a rest stop in Zim. Priceless!!!!!

My favorites are the trackers and camp staff…please don’t misunderstand me I absolutely love and take good care of my PHs and they greatly appreciate it! It’s just to see a trackers eyes light up when you put either 2 $100 bills or 8 $20’s after they have given their all for me in 100 degree temperatures without a single complaint and a smile on their face is just so priceless too me! I got one of my biggest thrills this past safari when the trackers started joking with me and asked me to have a beer with them at a rest stop in Zim. Priceless!!!!!
10-$20’s

You would think a GA Tech man could add…Let me assure everyone it was either 2-$100 bills or 10-$20 bills whatever I had. I will say given I have done two safaris each of the last two years back to back, the only way I can manage it is to build a spreadsheet for tips. My wife then thinks i’m crazy when I go to the bank get cash then build small envelopes for each safari for the tips. I always call my PH or outfitter to make sure I know how many people do what. That way I hope I never disappoint with my cash tips!!!! As I said before I always also on top of my generous cash tip give an item to my PH I think he would like. My Swaro binos in SA and hearing aids in Zim this last hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonbar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?