Small gifts for PH and tracker

Yeah that was going to happen after the hunt. I was thinking more of a greeting gift. Read different things about others doing this

My first trip to Alaska I took a heap of Dilmah tea for the outfitters wife. I was told she picked up a taste for it when visiting NZ. Apparently that brand of tea was a bit scarce around Fairbanks.

So unless you know of something that they particularly want…. I probably wouldn’t worry about a gift. Just one more thing to pack, carry, loose or break.

Going on my first Safari in 12 days. Do you normally take a small gift for PH and tracker? If so what are so ideas?
I asked if there is anything from the states they like and cannot get. Heard havolon knife replacements are like gold. Brought each of my PH's a bottle of good local Whisky. Of course brought cash as tip.

Do y'all recommend switching to local currency or is usd ok for tips? Is it a hassle for say the tracker to convert to his money and not get screwed?

Dollars, they will buy what they need

Lon

In Namibia, I was told in advance by the outfitter to tip in USD. However, at the time of tipping, I was told I needed to tip in Namibian dollars and the outfitter converted The money.

Unless it’s specifically asked for don’t bring gifts for PH. If you have your PH’s WhatsApp it’s nice gesture to ask if they can use anything from the US before you leave, but don’t just assume they want another knife. I bring baseball caps and T shirts I collected from work and elsewhere for the trackers and staff each time I go. Also any jackets or nice clothes or decent shoes that would otherwise be donated to Salvation Army. If you spend money to get them something nice, in all likelihood they will sell it for a fraction of what you paid for it. Bring some nice free stuff you’ve collected over years, it’s appreciated, but don’t spend any money on gifts.

Ready for Zimbabwe next month. It makes a happy camp on day 1, but again, I didn’t spend any money on them.
IMG_4921.jpeg

Ready for Zimbabwe next month. It makes a happy camp on day 1, but again, I didn’t spend any money on them.
View attachment 616475
I 100% agree with this. In the past I've gifted tire company promotional swag type stuff. Hats, shirts etc.
Now however, I fill my luggage with Military Surplus shirts, jackets, and pants purchased new from Sportsmans Guide and Midway. The quality is good, the styling is hunting ready, and you can fill an entire suitcase bursting full for $200/$300 tops. It seems that the US fleece jackets are highly prized. I wear the surplus clothing for the hunt, gift all the clothing, and return home with underwear and shoes.
This of course does take take the place of genuine cash tips.
I'm sure some Canadian won't like it but it works for me and the trackers/staff.

Ask your PH.

But, I just watched a safari video on YouTube and the hunter brought brightly colored, Hawaiian-type shirts for the trackers and staff. Those guys were beaming when they were wearing them at the end of the hunt.

Cash tip at the end of the hunt pays the bills.

Ed Z

Do y'all recommend switching to local currency or is usd ok for tips? Is it a hassle for say the tracker to convert to his money and not get screwed?
Most outfitters do not want you giving cash to trackers. It can cause problems. Partying and not showing up for work. Some guys also have gambling addictions. My lodge owner has a party for staff with their families when most of accumulated tips are handed out. That way moms know the money is in hand and they have a better chance of seeing it goes to family needs. My PHs have assured me it is a good system.

See if they need brass. I do not believe there is a problem bringing over unprimed brass but you should ask operator/PH first. Last time I took a box of 458 Lott brass for my PH. No problems getting it on airlines or through SA police. My guns were 30-06 and 404J.

Also, if shooting a common ammo like 30-06 or 375 that's typically used in rental guns, consider leaving your unfired ammo as a tip.

Most outfitters do not want you giving cash to trackers. It can cause problems. Partying and not showing up for work. Some guys also have gambling addictions. My lodge owner has a party for staff with their families when most of accumulated tips are handed out. That way moms know the money is in hand and they have a better chance of seeing it goes to family needs. My PHs have assured me it is a good system.

See if they need brass. I do not believe there is a problem bringing over unprimed brass but you should ask operator/PH first. Last time I took a box of 458 Lott brass for my PH. No problems getting it on airlines or through SA police. My guns were 30-06 and 404J.

Also, if shooting a common ammo like 30-06 or 375 that's typically used in rental guns, consider leaving your unfired ammo as a tip.
You really need to try hunting with more than one outfitter before making statements about most outfitters.

You really need to try hunting with more than one outfitter before making statements about most outfitters.
Just going by what my PHs are telling me. My African hunting buddy here formerly owned a hunting/fishing lodge in the far north. He said the same thing: don't give the Native guides cash or they won't show up to work for a couple of days ... at least. Lodge owner gives them the tips at the end of the season. I'm sure there are individual exceptions. Problem is one exceptional guide/tracker gets cash in hand, then they all think they should have it. The tracker on my first trip pulled a disappearing act second day and we had to go into the village to dig him up. He was loopy. We were hours late getting after kudu and you know how important it is to be looking for them at first light. The guy's shoes were rags. I had an extra pair of boots I could give him but PH said NO. He'd just sell them and drink up the money. Happened before.

I see many operators' websites where they advise against giving cash tips directly to trackers, especially US currency. Of course, PH's cash tip is always US dollars and handed directly to him. That is standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velva37941

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.