Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

mine is post breakup so it only is marked Made in Germany. My old P220 was marked West Germany but sadly I was dumb enough to trade it for a Glock and cash, hindsight is 20/20.

I just adore that this post is still going. :)

Same here.........I just couldn't let the initial comments go.

This Rolex bashing thread has actually renewed my interest in Rolexes!

I only ever wanted one - a simple stainless Submariner. My parents gave me one as a college graduation present in 1987 and I've worn it almost every day since.

I (kind of) inherited a Datejust last September, when my uncle past away. (He gave it to my brother, who only appreciates musical instruments). I bought it from him, so he can buy a banjo.

Now, I'm on the hunt for an 18K Sub or GMT Master...

Working with Rolex at one of their dealers is impossible unless you are an established customer sadly. They have become just like Ferrari with preferred customers, mandatory purchases, and incredible wait times for the rest of us…
The only thing to do is to buy second hand at some of the larger watch dealers or to buy from a reputable independent, I know of a couple if you want to PM me?
I love Rolex watches but the brand, I my eyes, has been diminished because of their sales policies, buy back program, and the culture that surrounds them!
I have become a strong Omega believer! Better watch and no silly games…
I own a couple of Omegas and some other automatics and manuals including one Rolex. The Omegas are fine watches, but they’re not as good as Rolexes. I’ve asked every watch repairman I’ve ever worked with how they rank the automatics and every one has said Rolex makes the highest quality watches of the major brands.

If you’ve never bought a new one it is difficult to become a customer. I’m not a customer (bought mine used), but I have a friend who it took a couple of years to become a customer. He bought a number of used watches from a dealer and was eventually judged worthy of a new Rolex.

Insane seeming process to most of us, but if it was just first come, first served, prices would likely be much higher than they are if they let the dealers charge what they want. If they didn’t let the dealers charge what the market would bear “scalpers” would snap them all up and you’d pay the super high prices in the secondary market.

I own a couple of Omegas and some other automatics and manuals including one Rolex. The Omegas are fine watches, but they’re not as good as Rolexes. I’ve asked every watch repairman I’ve ever worked with how they rank the automatics and every one has said Rolex makes the highest quality watches of the major brands.

If you’ve never bought a new one it is difficult to become a customer. I’m not a customer (bought mine used), but I have a friend who it took a couple of years to become a customer. He bought a number of used watches from a dealer and was eventually judged worthy of a new Rolex.

Insane seeming process to most of us, but if it was just first come, first served, prices would likely be much higher than they are if they let the dealers charge what they want. If they didn’t let the dealers charge what the market would bear “scalpers” would snap them all up and you’d pay the super high prices in the secondary mark

Working with Rolex at one of their dealers is impossible unless you are an established customer sadly. They have become just like Ferrari with preferred customers, mandatory purchases, and incredible wait times for the rest of us…
The only thing to do is to buy second hand at some of the larger watch dealers or to buy from a reputable independent, I know of a couple if you want to PM me?
I love Rolex watches but the brand, I my eyes, has been diminished because of their sales policies, buy back program, and the culture that surrounds them!
I have become a strong Omega believer! Better watch and no silly games…
My experience is that Rolex don't even want you then, unless you're likely to be spending millions or can be a 'brand ambassador' for them (whatever that means).

I played their silly games for my Milgauss.

Went to the store, looked at the piece, said I'd take it.
"Oh no, that's the show model".
Said I didn't mind, but they told me they wouldn't sell me it, but that I could get on a wait list. I said fine and asked for a time estimate on delivery.
"Oh, Rolex don't tell us that".
I said fine, gave them my phone number.
"But if you were to buy another model as well, I'm sure we could expedite it...".
I said no and walked out. Nine months later, got a call.
"A Milgauss just came in, we can't hold it for you, but if you're here in the next 4 hours before it goes on display, you can probably buy it."
I dropped everything and went, got my Milgauss.

A couple years later I'd just finished my MBA and fancied a Skydweller. Off I went to the Chicago store.

Looked at the piece, said I'd take it.
"Oh no, that's the display model..."
Here we go again.
"Fine, I'll waitlist."
"Oh, you can try if you like, but you're a customer with no established relationship, your chances aren't high..."
What do you mean I said, I'm literally wearing my Milgauss?
"Where'd you buy it?"
Birmingham, UK.
"Oh no, that's Rolex Europe, this is Rolex USA. But if you were to put in for two or three cheaper pieces, I'm sure we can sort out a Skydweller as well".

Having been basically told that I was a peasant with no business being allowed the privilege of dropping a large chunk of change on the piece I actually wanted, I told 'em to play with themselves and spent more money elsewhere.

It's a shame as I rather like a couple of their models. But I will not put up with this sort of rubbish. I'm just not doing it. Buying something like that is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, yet every time I interact with Rolex it leaves a real sour taste. At this point, they either change the sales model, or they're dead to me. I fear the latter is more likely.
Yes the game you're supposed to play is ridiculous. Been on my AD's waitlist for 26 months for either GMT II in stainless or Everrose gold or a SeaDweller Deepsea and not a sniffle of hope as of yet. I was adamant about not paying the flippers a profit just to get one but Rolex is showing no initiative in getting their supply back to normal so I'm starting to waiver on my principles.

Yes the game you're supposed to play is ridiculous. Been on my AD's waitlist for 26 months for either GMT II in stainless or Everrose gold or a SeaDweller Deepsea and not a sniffle of hope as of yet. I was adamant about not paying the flippers a profit just to get one but Rolex is showing no initiative in getting their supply back to normal so I'm starting to waiver on my principles.
Rolex is one of the most desirable brands in the world. They account for something like 1/3 of the Swiss watch industry. They crank out over a million watches a year and are still hard to get, although there are certain models that are getting to be easier to get ahold of. It may be an unpleasant experience for a prospective customer but if you were running the show and had that type of product would you ramp up production, (somewhat) flood the market and cheapen your product? Quality may suffer. Desirability may even suffer since they’re easier to get. If you really want one you may need to tell your AD that you’re open to other models. Aside from that there’s always the used market, some models are trading closer to retail these days

Rolex is one of the most desirable brands in the world. They account for something like 1/3 of the Swiss watch industry. They crank out over a million watches a year and are still hard to get, although there are certain models that are getting to be easier to get ahold of. It may be an unpleasant experience for a prospective customer but if you were running the show and had that type of product would you ramp up production, (somewhat) flood the market and cheapen your product? Quality may suffer. Desirability may even suffer since they’re easier to get. If you really want one you may need to tell your AD that you’re open to other models. Aside from that there’s always the used market, some models are trading closer to retail these days
Good point, it is an enviable position for a company to be in. I have looked into the used market and you are correct about certain models being close to retail, that's what put the Everrose on my radar.
As warped as it sounds about spending that amount on a watch it was a "deal" compared to the mark up from retail of the other options.

I guess my counterpoint is this.

I do not reasonably expect to be able to simply wander in and buy a Rolex on the day. They're a limited availability item, so a wait time is reasonable.

If their business model was "I'm sorry sir, we don't have that right now, the usual lead time is 12 months, it might be up to 24. That's the case for everyone. $500 down today secures your order, we'll keep you informed, you will definitely get it just as fast as any other customer." Then I'd be perfectly content.

What is not reasonable, is the silly games.
'Oh, you can request one, but delivery is never guaranteed.'
'Oh, the precise lead time depends on your prior relationship, and whilst the Sultan of Brunei can have one today, you're a peasant so we might condescend to meet your desires at a point that suits us.'
'You want a specific model? Ha, no. Order at least three lesser models to be given the privilege of having what you want.'
'No, of course we won't give you a firm delivery estimate, or any inkling of how many people are ahead of you on the wait list, or even confirm or deny if any formal wait list exists. If we did those things, we wouldn't be able to screw you over as easily."

I also expect (albeit naively) that they will work in good faith to try and meet customer demand as opposed to using it cynically as a weapon to artificially inflate second hand prices and signal 'exclusivity'.

There is a big difference between managing production constraints in an honest and open fashion, and just being scum bags. Rolex is on the wrong side of that line IMO.

I was in my local Orlando Rolex AD Sunday and had a wonderful experience. They happily cleaned and re-sized my wife's Datejust while we waited. Friendly, professional service and a great coffee. They also offered me the Sea Dweller 43 I had on my 3 watch wish list. (I've already found one so I passed.) Yes it's frustrating that watches are so tough to get, but when the line is always out the door, there's not much they can do. Steel GMT's and Sub's will be tough to get for the foreseeable future, no doubt, but the precious metal versions along with Explorer's and Sea Dweller's are getting "easier" in Rolex terms. As I've said before, get to know your local AD, set-up your 3 watch wish list account and follow-up on a semi-regular basis. I waited almost 2 years for my first Sub, but it gets better once they can trust you're not a flipper and truly want the watch for yourself, wife etc. They're fabulous things and worth the wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recsporttv

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!