Small cat hunting permit suspension in Limpopo province

I'm not sure who LEDET is but what was the reason they wanted the quota system in place ? Surely can't be scientific data !!!

I'm not sure who LEDET is but what was the reason they wanted the quota system in place ? Surely can't be scientific data !!!
Sorry should have explained . That is Limpopo Environmental and Tourism ..... No no scientific data .... a precautioanry messure they wanted to argue !!!!

We have a program called Catspotter where anyone can upload photos of small and large predators . This was put in place like a citizen science to get more data on these animals . I am attaching the link ..... anyone can load trailcam pictures or reg pictures and pinpoint it to a location .

20151001_173032.jpg

Eg of trailcam pictures that we load . This is actually a very good indication of what is around in your area .

www.catspotter.co.za

Happy Hunting !

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 10.08.10 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, those large "servals" get in the way of hunting small cats!!! @CAustin I will be hunting in the Limpopo Province.

Leopard.jpg

Yep spoke with him this morning! We will hunt the cats in Northwest Prov. And he has permits there.

Sweet....

What cats are you permitted for?

No no scientific data .... a precautioanry messure they wanted to argue !!!!

Exactly what I heard. That they had too many applied for tags go unfilled and so wanted to be safe, just in case.

Sweet....

What cats are you permitted for?
My understanding is caracal and serval has been applied for. Don't know if we will get it in time or at all.

But van you imagine @billc face when I shoot his pigs!

Good luck! Hope you don't come across one of those large servals at night!
AS they get larger, the spots on a serval get stretched out, to the point where they begin to look more like rosettes than spots . . . best solution is not to look to closely . . . can only cause confusion!

Thank you everyone for your research into this. It sounds as though I may be out of luck. I am leaving in 2 1/2 weeks. I am also hunting with Pieter of PawPrint as well as another outfitter. I doubt either will be able to get permits. Thanks guys.

Thank you everyone for your research into this. It sounds as though I may be out of luck. I am leaving in 2 1/2 weeks. I am also hunting with Pieter of PawPrint as well as another outfitter. I doubt either will be able to get permits. Thanks guys.
Never say never. I would ask nicely, and if they come through, a big tip would be in order. If they can't, it won't be for lack of trying.

Yes this is a little bothersome since I am booked in September for Pawprint's Sunset to Sunrise hunt. Oh well, there's lots of other animals I guess. If I don't get the small cats, unfortunately I'll have to go back to Africa:).!

Good luck! Hope you don't come across one of those large servals at night!

To be completely honest I hope to see a big leopard, put my gun on the correct spot, imagine pulling the trigger and then crossing it off the bucket list.

To be completely honest I hope to see a big leopard, put my gun on the correct spot, imagine pulling the trigger and then crossing it off the bucket list.
Good idea. I need a camera adapter for my scope. Put the crosshairs just so and click. A lot cheaper than having it mounted;)!

My understanding is caracal and serval has been applied for. Don't know if we will get it in time or at all.

But van you imagine @billc face when I shoot his pigs!

Bushpig season is closed june 6 till july 1st I just heard.

We also hunt the northwest and permits are still ok there for 2017 for the night critters.

................. LHLF and PHASA set up a meeting with LEDET on the 26 May to discuss this ban and quota and after submitting evidence and pointing out the lack of industry participation and consultation this ban was lifted for 2017. This thread might still be real for 2018 and we have a lot of hard work ahead of us to prevent this from happening. ...................

Thanks Richard.

Give your outfitter a wish list and ask him to aplly . No hurt in trying ! Maybe you get lucky ! These nightcritters make very special Trophees !

Happy Hunting !

That is one very well fed kitty. That is going to cost you a lot of baits.

It's a darn shame I can't hunt that big cat! I would love a serval though....

IMG-20170601-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20170601-WA0020.jpg

Could not get these loaded yesterday. This is the whole proposed quota for 11.2 M acres all on the same bait on the same day ! Hopefully with submissions like these from all Outfitters we would be able to at least keep the current quota going !

Happy Hunting !

Here are just the confirmed reports from the Limpopo area on the site SafariA provided. Seems to would be beneficial if all outfitters started posting pics.

upload_2017-6-1_9-51-19.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasmin96O9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia