AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
B,C. Canada Nevada,Ca. ,Georgia, Arkansas africa 1
Has anyone heard that ATF was taking the silencers off the required TAX ,registration form, I read something about it briefly but cant find itr now?
thanks.

There’s a bill in congress right now that if it passes would remove suppressors from the NFA…

Unless republicans own both the house and the senate I think it’s got a snowballs chance in hell of passing…

Even with both houses I think chances are marginal… there are a number of republicans in both the house and the senate that aren’t exactly super gun friendly…

Thanks for that I certainly hope it passes, no reason it shouldnt. so nice not to have to use ear plugs on hunts,

I’ve got a few “hunting” cans… I’m definitely wanting a few more…

It won't pass.

That's just how our government works...

Never going to happen. Hollywood has made suppressors into a "murder tool" and that is how the general public sees them.

I’ve got a few “hunting” cans… I’m definitely wanting a few more…
I've had a couple cans and sbr's come back in 24-48 hours recently. These were all individually filed e-forms.

With the wife and kids, I'm guessing you've got a trust. I think lead times there are estimated around 6-8mo still. When cans were like that, I had several go 15-18mo. What I used to do was buy one every quarter or every 6mo, forget about it and then experience 2-6 Christmas' per year

Tax is not going away.

Suppressors ownership alone is over 3MM in the US not including SBR. Times that by 200.00. That's a pile of cash no one on either side wants to give up. The numbers of suppressors are growing 15% year over year.

I don't have an issue with the tax per se, but did with the old wait times. Now with quicker approval, I'm not sure anyone in the US should be bitching considering the political climate.

I filed on 2/6/24 and received approval 5/28/24 for a form 4 e-file on a silencer central trust. I think most people have little problem with the tax. But the tax doesn’t do any good for law enforcement or shooting. It goes to the general treasury fund. If they would remodel the way the tax gets allocated and make it so that subsequent suppressors have no wait time and only a 4453 form with the $200 tax; I think most buyers would be happy.

I've had a couple cans and sbr's come back in 24-48 hours recently. These were all individually filed e-forms.

With the wife and kids, I'm guessing you've got a trust. I think lead times there are estimated around 6-8mo still. When cans were like that, I had several go 15-18mo. What I used to do was buy one every quarter or every 6mo, forget about it and then experience 2-6 Christmas' per year

Yep.. my cans are in trusts….

I’ve got a piston driven AR pistol that I’ve thought about filing a form 1 on to convert to a SBR…

And I’d still like to pick up 2x more 30 cal cans and a rimfire can… then I think I’ll be done…

But… I’ve said the same thing about rifles lol… and somehow the collection just keeps growing.. even after all of my “needs” are filled lol…

Yep.. my cans are in trusts….

I’ve got a piston driven AR pistol that I’ve thought about filing a form 1 on to convert to a SBR…

And I’d still like to pick up 2x more 30 cal cans and a rimfire can… then I think I’ll be done…

But… I’ve said the same thing about rifles lol… and somehow the collection just keeps growing.. even after all of my “needs” are filled lol…
Don't convert your pistol, buy a lower and build it out. Have it SBRed, SBRs are not as easy to travel with. Just my humble opinion.

In Texas our hunting license money goes to the general revenue fund for the state instead of toward outdoor things. I’d start there before I worried about the $200 tax.

No problem with the tax, problem with where the money goes. It needs to go into a wildlife fund or a specialized law enforcement fund concerned with wildlife.

The wait time on ATF e-file for a suppressor is about two weeks, I've had one friend who was approved the same day he submitted it since it was less than two months since his last form cleared.

With wait times like that vs the the 8 to 14 months the backlog was at makes me want to get some new cans.

The wait time on ATF e-file for a suppressor is about two weeks, I've had one friend who was approved the same day he submitted it since it was less than two months since his last form cleared.

With wait times like that vs the the 8 to 14 months the backlog was at makes me want to get some new cans.
That's only true of individuals. Trust will take longer.

It also doesn't matter when the last one cleared. Speaking from personal experience.

There’s a bill in congress right now that if it passes would remove suppressors from the NFA…

Unless republicans own both the house and the senate I think it’s got a snowballs chance in hell of passing…

Even with both houses I think chances are marginal… there are a number of republicans in both the house and the senate that aren’t exactly super gun friendly…
Washington has been totally owned by the Dems for many years. They did however legalize suppressors for use in shooting and hunting a few years ago. It was sold as a hearing safety issue. So there may be hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
istonecare

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's