Sierra .458 400gr ProHunter on Buffalo

It’s a good way to get your self killed.

A fragile 45/70 bullet with a hollow point and poor sectional density.

The standard in 458 for dangerous game is 480- 500 grain for lead core bullets.

A Barnes 450 TSX has a good reputation as well.

I have shot some buffaloes with various classic SP RN bullets, but I would absolutely advise against the use of this bullet for shooting buffaloes.

Buffalo are really big with a lot of mussel and bone. Use a bonded or monolithic bullet. There is no need to take a chance. Sierra's are for plains game.

Buffalo are really big with a lot of mussel and bone. Use a bonded or monolithic bullet. There is no need to take a chance. Sierra's are for plains game.
In my research on hunting Nyati, I understand that Cape Buffalo rib bones are slightly overlapping, or so, with no muscle between the ribs as some other bovines. I have read everything I can get my hands/eyes on. The book below shows pictures of the rib cage. I know the better shots are in the shoulder, or just behind the front leg, to target the heart/lungs.

Is this correct? I haven't seen one butchered yet in person (but I'm working on it!).

So, a plains game soft/hollow point would expand or break up too soon for good penetration. I would not use Sierra. I like the 400-grain bullet option for the .458 Win Mag (I have loaded 400 grain Woodleigh PP with accuracy and moderate recoil) and will be trying the CEB Raptor, based on @michael458 testing.

1726327362056.png

The rib bones do overlap up front, where it matters. Buffalo are solidly built, but just as important, they are tenacious. Their evolution alongside lions long ago weeded out the weak or less tenacious.

So often, people ask if you can kill a buffalo with such-and-such bullet or caliber. The correct answer is yes. Almost any caliber/bullet combination CAN kill a buffalo under the right conditions. But with buffalo, it’s wise to select a caliber/bullet that can be counted on to kill quickly under all reasonable conditions. Your life just might count on it.

The rib bones do overlap up front, where it matters. Buffalo are solidly built, but just as important, they are tenacious. Their evolution alongside lions long ago weeded out the weak or less tenacious.

So often, people ask if you can kill a buffalo with such-and-such bullet or caliber. The correct answer is yes. Almost any caliber/bullet combination CAN kill a buffalo under the right conditions. But with buffalo, it’s wise to select a caliber/bullet that can be counted on to kill quickly under all reasonable conditions. Your life just might count on it.
Thank you for the insight. Basically, what I was thinking, evolutionary adaptation for protection against lions, and challenging herd bulls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GenevaPolk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles