Show your work horses and bubba rifles

“Hemingway liked the simple, ‘pure’ (to use his word) guns he had used all his life. If there was anything he taught me, it was that — respect for good, simple, well-fitting equipment, and a simple, ‘primitive’ attitude toward hunting.”

He also had a fondness for hosing sharks with a Thompson Submachine Gun:

Tommy Hemingway.jpg

JC Higgins 12 gauge my Grandpa gave me. He bought it brand new I'm pretty sure.
I killed my first deer (nice doe) shooting 00 buck out of it WITH the tape on it!

He spray painted it years ago, probably due for another coat! haha

20231231_172002.jpg
20231231_172011.jpg
20231231_172029.jpg
20231231_172101.jpg

Definitely a bubba rifle: my sporterized Carcano with an improvised ghost ring rear sight and front blade made higher with JB Weld. Still, it shoots very well and has been 100% reliable, and I have no qualms about it getting rough treatment afield.
View attachment 577653
Knew an older gentleman who shot one of those--he could make a box of 20 shells last 10 years...take it out and kill two deer, put it up, repeat.

He also had a fondness for hosing sharks with a Thompson Submachine Gun:

View attachment 577667

Not too plain and simple with his guns. He hunted Africa and U-Boats (fortunately unsuccessfully with regard to the latter) with his Westley Richards .577 double. And of course he took his life with is beloved W&C Scott & Sons pigeon gun that seems to have been his favorite heavy bird gun.

I have a stable of work horses, all from the same bloodlines…

Ruger 77 Mark II boat paddles get it done for me…

-.22 LR that goes along on a lot of coon hunts and still takes the occasional ground squirrel. Can’t find any pics easily as it usually comes out at night :)

-.35 Whelen (I go back and forth between keeping it scoped and using irons- NECG peep). At 20” it is super handy.

gcKuCCJ.jpeg

kXmQoyB.jpeg

-.300 Win Mag with a 180 TTSX was my meat and potatoes gun for quite a while till I got tired of the weight. My son now carries it mostly.

m5rtdCG.jpeg

-.30-06 (setup as a backup rifle for anything or anybody with a 165 NAB). It wore an HS stock for a while while my son was shooting it for a little extra weight)

WX7rpQJ.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will follow on @Red Leg post.

Hemingway was nobel price writer. journalist, heavy drinker and smoker, warrior, boxer and shotgun hunter, who used secondarily a rifle as well. Been on safari 2 times. (safari 1933 resulted in - green hills of africa, and short story short happy life of Francis Macomber, safari 1954 resulted in- true at first light and article in life magazine,,)

He was injured in ww1. (farewell to arms)

At the beginning of ww2, he was rejected from army to serve in ww2.
With this character, he had no intention of letting ww2 pass without him.

He had fishing boat "Pillar" in Cuba.
German subs patrolled Caribbean seas, and were known to surface and confiscate food and supplies from lone fishing boats in the area.
He got for crew one man, and one communication officer from navy.
The plan to hunt sub was following.
He will be playing "lone fisherman" in Cuban waters, and let the sub comes alongside to confiscate supplies
When coming alongside, other men will spray the sub crew on conning tower with Thompson submachine gun, he would be punching the holes in submarine hull by using solids from his 577 elephant double rifle, and the third man will drop the satchel charge on the sub before it submerges
So, that was the plan. But to all our luck and histories luck he never met the sub, although I think he had one close encounter.

ww2, however did not pass without him.
Later he went to Normandy landing as a journalist, quickly equipping him self with a car, army driver, and weapons, and chased the Germans (following sound of guns), Its known he had trown some grenades in the cellar with hidden Germans

As journalist (non army personnel) he later found a group of french resistance fighters, who were not complaining of him carrying guns and shooting under "PRESS" id.. he had experience of ww1, and Spanish civil war experience, and strong character which soon placed him as a leader of French guerilla group. Being a non army personnel he could not be anything in us army, so he managed to get his action and his "irregulars" in this way.. He spoke French because he spent years in Paris after ww1, as a part of group of writers known as lost generation of that era. (Scott Fitzgerald, FE cummings, Dos passos, few others)

The only thing he missed, was shooting a sub with 577.

WHat I dont know about him is how he got the idea to travel to safari in 1933. Probably through mingling in social circles, as African safari became fashionable by that time, an era known as golden age of safari.

The CZ (BRNO) sidelock was and still is one of the great unappreciated bargains still to be found on the planet. I had the English stocked version.
something like this?

Attachments

Anyone ever see guns cracked in the wrist because someone wanted to save a shell, and struck a rabbit in the head with it? That would be bubba, just say'in. But only if they did it to their OWN gun--if they did it to mine, it would be an honor-killing offense.

Anyone ever see guns cracked in the wrist because someone wanted to save a shell, and struck a rabbit in the head with it? That would be bubba, just say'in. But only if they did it to their OWN gun--if they did it to mine, it would be an honor-killing offense.
Whacked a winged pidgeon once as it was passing low by. But no cracked stock

A bubbaed 1891 argentine mauser I picked up last year or so for $95 old. Lent it to my buddy this year and he killed a buck and doe.

View attachment 578709
THIS IS MY RIFLE; MAN!!!
Hahahaha
I love my 1891
MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO MANUFACTURA LOEWE....
My one are in .308 win and I make the gunsmithing job
A solid workhorse, hundreds of wildboars, pumas, "guanacos" and other critters shoting down, nothing to regret....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?