Show your work horses and bubba rifles

Remington Mod 700 XCR ll in 300 WM. My workhorse rifle and also one of the only rifles I own with a synthetic stock. It inevitably gets used as a loaner rifle for mates or when my son visits from overseas.
Great calibre and very accurate, combined with the peace of mind that they cannot damage any off my nice wooden stocks!

IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0294.jpeg

My Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe in 7x57mm Mauser
IMG_1215.jpeg
IMG_2303.jpeg
IMG_1512.jpeg
IMG_2307.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpeg

My Beretta Model 626E 12 gauge 3” Magnum
IMG_1479.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg
IMG_2714.jpeg

My Sikender single barrel 12 gauge (2.75”) which now belongs to my valet’s son.
IMG_2018.jpeg

IMG_2354.jpeg
IMG_2285.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought this 270 Win 70, new, 51 years ago. A present to myself. IIRC $126. Put a 6x Redfield on it when new and that's where it is today. It has been my "bespoke" :) rifle ever since. 1/2" gun out of the box using O'Connor's pet loads. I've taken more big game with this rifle than any other... it has "bespoke" for a bunch of elk, mule deer, moose, pronghorns, mountain sheep and carbou along with a variety of smaller game from Pdogs to coyotes. Loaned it to a friend once and he left it barrel down in a pick up after a wet, muddy hunt. Had to cut and crown back to 21 1/2". Didn't seem to affect it at all. Got tired of that low quality beech/mystery wood factory stock on it so "upgraded" to a cheapo Ramline plastic stock about that same time. Took the cheesy honeycomb pad off and screwed on a solid, thick leather pad. Added some duct tape down the forend to deaden the plastic resonance :) A few wraps of duct tape and electrical tape around the barrel is shown in the pic. I always tape the muzzle no matter the conditions. It was my workhorse, bubba, mugly other rifle for a lot of years.

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5187 2.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly, I'm not a safe queen sort of gun owner. I hunt with everything I have. And I don't have the finances to purchase truly 'fine' firearms, or rather, I allocate my resources to other types of gear and actually hunting. Living in rural Alaska, I do have some I baby a bit more, such as my Savage 99EG, or my Remington 141. They are in good condition and I want to keep them that way, so I cherry pick the days when I take them out to hunt.

My work horse is also my favorite gun... my go-to rifle. It's a Marlin MXLR in .338 Marlin Express. At times - not consciously so mind you - I borderline abuse it. It was purpose bought with the idea that the stainless and laminate would be impervious to Alaska, and with minimal care it has been just that. I have killed a fair number of animals with it; in fact, I have never shot at something with it I didn't kill.

View attachment 576657
View attachment 576658View attachment 576660
View attachment 576661
@Tundra Tiger
A great caliber that unfortunately never took off in Australia. Only ever saw one.
Bob

My most beat up rifle would be a Ruger American Predator I got in .358 Winchester (Grice Guns limited run).

First I cut the barrel to 18 inches then 16.5 inches. I added a front site with a QD rear peep site. I replaced the Predator stock with a conpact/youth model stock. I cut the fore end off to save weight and put the round tip back on with a screw and bedding compound.
It's ugly but it's only about 6.5 pounds scoped and I'm not afraid to use it. It's killed a couple caribou, multiple bears and two moose. I let two boys (ages 12 and 13) borrow it for near bait hunting. Both hammered their bears and got very quick kills. A lot of times I strap it to my pack and carry it on scouting trips or as a backup gun when I take kids hunting (they normally have a 308 that may or may not wear a suppressor depending on whether we are more interested in weight reduction or recoil reduction for a young hunter.
View attachment 576723

View attachment 576724
@Alaska Luke
Love that little 35 cal powerhouse.
What load do you use.
I see it loving a nice 225gn Woodleigh RNSP.
Bob

I know a lot of folks find the blaser R8 ugly by itself. How about one with a bubba rattle can paint job?

View attachment 576829
@ay2626
I can see @Forrest Halley applauding you, he loves rattle cans.
I can also see @BeeMaa on his knees praying for forgives for you for such destruction of his favorite Barbie gun. If he was dead, fortunately he's not he would be turning in his grave at the thought of someone attacking Barbie with a rattle can.
Bob

View attachment 576626View attachment 576627
My Ruger 44 Carbine and my Husqvarna commercial Mauser in 308 Norma mag. I don’t have any safe queens, all my rifles go to the field.
The only gun I ever traded away....and I REGRET it severely...to my old man! I had a Ruger .44mag carbine and traded it to Dad for a 1958 Remington 742 Woodsmaster Auto .30-06 with a steel butt plate. Wish I'd kept the Ruger :(

The CZ (BRNO) sidelock was and still is one of the great unappreciated bargains still to be found on the planet. I had the English stocked version.
+1 Chopper lump barrels as well, I believe? Haven't owned one, sadly.

My workhorse is a 30'06 1950 Mannlicher Schoenauer with Zeiss scope. Been to Africa twice, been all over Texas and Colorado. Remember, the classics WORK. Never considered TREATING it like a bubba gun. You can take care of whatever you use! Had a friend who left his Rem auto shotgun in the trunk of his car till hunting time--would take it out, spray WD 40 on the barrel, pour gasoline in the action and then break the action loose by stepping down on it with his boot. He held down barb wire fences with the fore end and then complained of splinters! Not my idea of how to treat a gun...I re-blue barrels and refinish stocks for friends. Anything can be kept close to new in condition, if you want to.

My daughter shooting my knock around.375 Ruger Alaskan, it goes in my truck on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and comes out 10 February and accompanies me on my daily 5-10 mile walks just in case a deer or other such critter jumps out.

IMG_6899.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter shooting my knock around.375 Ruger Alaskan, it goes in my truck on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and comes out 10 February and accompanies me on my daily 5-10 mile walks just in case a deer or other such critter jumps out.

View attachment 577301
What stays in the truck?
The gun or your daughter? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia