Show your Custom Pre-64 and CRF Model 70’s

Stunning rifle @michael458, and one hell of a buff to boot!!! At first glance from afar looks like birds-eye maple - I love things that are different and absolutely love the contrast with the matte black finish. Well done Sir!

At first glance from afar looks like birds-eye maple - I love things that are different and absolutely love the contrast with the matte black finish.
I fell in love with Myrtle many years ago, the 500 MDM Myrtle stock has been completely refinished and checkered. These photos showed in in "white" condition, invariably Myrtle tends to darken and turn color with age....... I have another Myrtle on a 416 B&M and my Favorite is a 500 B&M that is Myrtle.... will show later...........

This post is about a few 458 B&Ms........ this first one is just an outstanding rifle coming in at 7.25 lbs no scope, with its Accurate Innovations Bastogne stock and 18 inch barrel, it is also Matte Black GunKote. This one has paid its dues and then some......

DSC09670%20copy-X2.jpg

P1020078aa-L.jpg

S1140008-X2.jpg

P1020010aa-L.jpg

And much more................. I think that gun is without doubt my favorite 458 of all time.......... very easy to work with........

On a lighter note......... 18 inch Stainless Ultimate Stock 458 B&M coming in at 6.5 lbs no scope, I figure about the perfect Alaskan Rifle........ Before this stock, this gun spent time in Australia in 2009 wacking wads of Aussie Buffalo as well..... but today, its retired and waiting to go to Alaska some day..............

DSC09585-X2.jpg

This old gun was built in 2006, it was actually the second 458 B&M ever built, barrel is on the long side at 20 inches, plain jane claro AI Stock. I had given it to one of my Sons, but he never used it for anything so a couple of years ago I confiscated it back, had Wes at Accurate Innovations refinish the stock, and set it up for a friend of mine to take to Africa for his first Cape Buffalo. It sports a forward scope mount which has its uses........ the odd iron setup I have on it looks odd, but damn it works great.............Its a high polish SSK Blue............

DSCN2332-X2.jpg

DSCN2300-X3.jpg

i-Gn2n4sf-X2.jpg

And another is a rifle that was built for a fellow in TX a few years ago. It sports a 19 inch barrel, English Accurate Innovations stock and Matte Black Gunkote finish. He had it built for a Buffalo hunt he was going on, but before he could take it he came down ill and could not go, and worse became so bad that his hunting days were done. I bought the rifle from him and have it today. Its nice, but damn that English stick of wood makes it heavy at 8.25 lbs........ I don't think he fired it more than 5 times....... I have not fired it a lot, maybe now it has 25-30 rounds through it..... Nice gun to shoot because its so heavy..... LOL

DSCN2240-X3.jpg

DSCN2208-X3.jpg

DSCN2212-X3.jpg

DSCN2221-X3.jpg

DSCN2236-X2.jpg

DSCN2241-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a custom, but no reason to gild the Lily! My favorite original Model 70 - a stunning ‘59 vintage Super Grade in 300 H&H. Will have to get some better pics in the sun.

View attachment 626291View attachment 626292View attachment 626293View attachment 626294View attachment 626295View attachment 626296View attachment 626297View attachment 626298View attachment 626299View attachment 626300
That is awesome. Rumor has it there is a great pre-64 Davenport floating around your neck of the woods. Have you seen it?

Rumors are often true @RR 314 and as soon as I can take some pics befitting of that beauty, I will unveil for all to see - "our" rifle is indeed spectacular!!!

Here is one of my custom Pre-64 M70 rifles in 375 H&H Improved. I have not hunted with it yet but hope to take it on an African hunt in the near future. I bought this rifle from a gun shop that was assisting with selling off a gentleman's collection. The rifle had been used fairly extensively, presumably in Africa, and had lost some of its luster. My custom gunsmith stripped and refinished the stock and re-cut the checkering. He also stripped the metal and rust-blued it.

Interestingly, there are no marks anywhere on the rifle as to the identity of the builder. My gunsmith (who is a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild) stated that whoever trued the action and inletted the stock was a master gunsmith as it is the best work he has ever seen. I am very happy to have this rifle as part of my collection and I hope you enjoy seeing it as well.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
18.jpeg
20.jpeg
19.jpeg
21.jpeg

Excellent post Mark! Custom pre64 70s is my guiltiness of pleasures! Out of town for work, but I'll add a few guns to the chain when I'm back home. You'll know one of the guns!
Everyone, let’s post our custom Pre-64 and late model Controlled Round Feed (CFR) Winchester Model 70’s. Please tell us a little about each rifle you post.

Below is a Pre-64 M70 by Jim Kobe in 375 H&H. I’ve used it to bag a lioness, cape buffalo, giraffe, zebra, baboon, and monkeys (at 170 yards!). I also shot a bison with it. Everyones need to own at least one 375 H&H. Even better if that rifle is a Model 70 ! She sports a Leopold VX-5HD 2-10X scope.

I hesitate to post pics because my M70 is hideous, but I bought it with money I earned cutting grass and have been working on it for over 20 years. It's a stainless classic with a Proof carbon 29" barrel in a slightly blown out .300 WSM case. It has a stainless Williams billet extractor, a Timney trigger, custom magazine AICS bottom metal with 2.950" OAL magazines, a Manners stock, TIG welded bolt handle, Leupold VX6HD 4-24 on Talley mono rings with a custom bolt handle and a Fat Bastard brake or a Gemtech Dagger II as the situation dictates. 225 AMAX can get to 2800, but now that I have a separate .300 WSM for long range and this is a hunting rifle, I will move it over to 212 ELDX which should hit about 2850. I'll post pics when I am back home, but it's still my favorite all these years later. It has put up with a lot, including my efforts to learn what to and what NOT to do while reloading.

My only gripe with the M70 is that shooting enough to wear out barrels is VERY expensive in any bolt gun with an extractor cutout unless you're machining them yourself.

Here is my M70 chambered in 458 Win. This is from 11 days again in Zimbabwe. I also have M70s in 375 H&H, 300 Win, 30-06 and 270 Win. I also have 3 at the gunsmith being re-barreled into 404Jeffery, 416 Rem Mag and 7MM PRC. I think I am covered and then some for any hunting/shooting I might ever do.
IMG_7989.jpeg

Featherweight 250-3000 with custom stock from my mate, Cameron Hatcher here in Oz.

Featherweight 250-3000 with custom stock from my mate, Cameron Hatcher here in Oz.
Sometimes it’s damned difficult uploading pics on here…..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WallyCaben

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles