Show Us Your Hunting Knife

Not exactly my hunting knife, but I have used this for hunting a couple of times. It’s an old pairing knife that was part of a butcher block set from forever ago. It’s now carried in my work truck with a camping fork & knife for the occasional meal that requires utensils.

Nothing pretty, but still sharp as hell and incredibly useful when needed.
I tried to do this from my phone...unsuccessfully, so here is a better pic.
1718231804583.png

Thought you guys might enjoy some photos of my latest boner. The steel is 2.5mm NitroV, with a slight hollow grind in the bevel which tapers to about 0.2mm to give it a slicey edge. The handles are camo G10 with G10 orange & white liners and G10 pins.

unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg
unnamed-7.jpg
unnamed-11.jpg
unnamed-35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a Henkel knife?
Not sure 100%. But I beileve it's a Zwilling. I can faintly see some etching on other knives that came with it as part of a butcher block set. It was a hand-me-down set from grandparents long past but some of them still serve me to this day. Here is the carving knife and what was suppose to be a serrated sandwich knife that ground the serrations off and now use to cut tomatoes. Still hold a good edge and serve me well.
1718240500418.png

I tried to do this from my phone...unsuccessfully, so here is a better pic.
View attachment 612932
My old next door neighbor and hunting partner
on my Dall sheep hunt used a similar paring knife for all his hunting needs. He's an unassuming guy who's taken a fair amount of what Alaska has to offer and that is his tool of choice for getting it to the table and taxidermist.

My old next door neighbor and hunting partner
on my Dall sheep hunt used a similar paring knife for all his hunting needs. He's an unassuming guy who's taken a fair amount of what Alaska has to offer and that is his tool of choice for getting it to the table and taxidermist.
Kinda funny how much time and energy we put into something so simple as a useful sharp knife. It was never more real to me as when I watched a team of skinners attack my eland with blades very similar to that little pairing knife.

It’s nice to enjoy a beautiful hunting knife but seeing the skill and efficiency that the skinners operated with, made me realize how ridiculous it can be.

I’m 100% guilty of having more knives than I’ll ever use on a hunt…and still looking at more! In Africa it’s more likely to be used at the dinner table than the skinning shed, but I do really enjoy knowing it’s there in case I need it.

Not sure 100%. But I beileve it's a Zwilling. I can faintly see some etching on other knives that came with it as part of a butcher block set. It was a hand-me-down set from grandparents long past but some of them still serve me to this day. Here is the carving knife and what was suppose to be a serrated sandwich knife that ground the serrations off and now use to cut tomatoes. Still hold a good edge and serve me well.
View attachment 613000
I have picked up several Zwilling knives at estate sales and the wife loves them for kitchen duty. Sh got rid of he set of knives and uses the solely now.

I assume those are some 300 Win Mag cartridges, and if so, this picture is the first time I have found with win mag to be attractive.

.338 WM :giggle:

Whew… where to begin. So many knives…

I’ve built a fair number over the years for friends and family. I’ll buy blanks from custom ‘smiths and file-work the spines and put nice scales on them.

For my Papa for Christmas one year.

1718986812842.jpeg

1718986840694.jpeg

For my PH and best friend, John Wamback RIP

1718986896713.jpeg

I’ve cut a bunch of Biltong with this little skinner from Arno Bernard.

1718987029737.jpeg

I carry Papa’s knife nowadays. Bone knife company near Lubbock, Texas.
157F17CE-FEBC-4013-847A-69B5453DD96F.jpeg

Too many other knives to mention…

Ed Z

without exaggerating, I'd guess I have 75 or more knives that could be used for hunting (gutting, skinning, quartering game, general camp chores, etc).. but I also make knives (as a hobby) and am constantly experimenting with different designs and different materials.. any knife that doesnt quite measure up to expectations or that ends up with some sort of cosmetic flaw that I cant fix ultimately becomes "my" knife and ends up in a desk drawer or a tackle box, or a hunting pack, etc.. combine those with the knives I've purchased over the years from either custom makers or production knives.. and the number is significant... I am honestly just guessing at the 75 number.. its probably even bigger than that..

Last edited:
At least 40-50… probably more, counting the cheap ones in various toolboxes and glove compartments.

Got these two online auction a year or so ago. Custom maker no longer around. Both with beautiful clay, temper lines. The stag handle on the top one really fits my hand well. I should probably carry it more.

1719003730052.jpeg

Ed Z

Well, now the truth is out I have a few knives.
If you count the professional commercial kitchen knives I have bought for my wife and some different butchering and skinning knives from commercial makers, 2 Von Gruffs and an R@N blades plus a lightweight skinner from another kiwi maker, yeah, probably adds up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DominiqueM

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?