Show Us Your Hunting Knife

@BeeMaa - functional and precise, if I ever needed my appendix removed on a Hunt - this would be the tool to have…and the Leatherman could pull a Wisdom Tooth !
Obviously you were an Eagle Scout…
I appreciate the compliment, but I've never even been in the Boy Scouts let alone attained Eagle Scout. Any resemblance to these skills would be from my father, grandfather and Naval service.

BTW - Shout out to all the Eagle Scouts out there. I understand the level of commitment and dedication it takes to accomplish something like this. There will be no stolen valor on my watch.

However, if you do happen to need a field appendectomy...I'm your man.

Last edited:
View attachment 610486
Here it is, bought from a friend of mine just today! To me, one of the most beautiful model ever made - the Randall n.1 / 7". It's a current production Randall, made 10 years ago. I already have a model 19 made in the late '60s, and this one completes very well a set of two, skinner and general purpose hunting knife. Both brass and sambar, sure the old one it's a "Bo" knife, but I believe the Gary Randall ones are also very good too, pretty well finished. Can't wait to use it in the field!

There is nothing wrong with current era Randall’s… they are exceptionally made… when you buy a “Bo” knife you’re simply buying a piece of history… not a knife of greater quality..

It’s been a long time since either Bo or Gary made a knife from beginning to end I believe.. the last I checked there were something like 19 blade smiths working in the Randall factory… one is grinding out guards all day while another grinds handle materials while another grinds steel etc… then someone else does all the final fit and finished, etc…

Even small shops that gain popularity do this… 20+ years ago I spent a good bit of time hanging around Pat Crawfords shop.. his son and one other very accomplished guy were in the shop routinely making sheaths, running the CNC mill, etc… pat put his hands on absolutely everything that left his shop and had his name on it.. but very few things were made by him exclusively

Here's one of my hunting knives....powdered steel blade by Esee. Mammoth ivory scales fitted by a friend.

IMG_7492.JPG

There is nothing wrong with current era Randall’s… they are exceptionally made… when you buy a “Bo” knife you’re simply buying a piece of history… not a knife of greater quality..

It’s been a long time since either Bo or Gary made a knife from beginning to end I believe.. the last I checked there were something like 19 blade smiths working in the Randall factory… one is grinding out guards all day while another grinds handle materials while another grinds steel etc… then someone else does all the final fit and finished, etc…

Even small shops that gain popularity do this… 20+ years ago I spent a good bit of time hanging around Pat Crawfords shop.. his son and one other very accomplished guy were in the shop routinely making sheaths, running the CNC mill, etc… pat put his hands on absolutely everything that left his shop and had his name on it.. but very few things were made by him exclusively
Yes I definitely agree with you.
This n.1 is extremely well built.
One of the best aspect of the Randalls, is that they are pretty unique.
I have a lot of knives, but they feel different, to me.
They talk about "old school" stuff, kind of item I dreamed to have when I was just a little boy, and they are still with us. An eritage of quality and beauty.

Here is one a friend of mine gave me that he had custom made for me by a guy down in Colorado, who also happen to know.

On the other side of the knife he inscribed my name. My friend had him make this knife after we bow hunted black bears in Northern Saskatchewan many years ago. It is a very special knife to me for those reasons.

Image1717784288.429007.jpg

Well, I finally found it.

I have always wanted a Loveless Drop Point Hunter with Micarta handle slabs. It is the epitome of form and function to me. And I wanted to actually use it. For those who don't know Robert Loveless is legendary in the handmade knife world, and even a basic Drop Point goes for $4-5 grand. That is out of my range. But through research and happenstance I found out one of the makers Loveless worked with was a gent named Mike Lovett. From what I understand he didn't just want to copy a Loveless knife as many have, he wanted to make Loveless knives. He ended up working with Loveless honing his skills to the point he was given multiple patterns by Loveless and allowed to use a similar logo. He made what he called the Loveless Connection knives. Thankfully they are far more reasonably priced, though not cheap. Alas Mr Lovett has retired and they aren't getting any more common either.

This past week I found the one I was after. A Lovett Loveless Drop Point Hunter with black Micarta handle and red spacers. It showed up today and it is everything I expected.

It will be going hunting this fall.
1000004724.jpg
1000004721.jpg

I can’t explain why, other than esthetics but I have never owned a drop point knife. My son loves them and has several. I just don’t like the optics of them.

Take the fork off the handle, stab the meat and open the blade for cutting into bite size pieces. Already tried it on some venison steaks.
Not exactly my hunting knife, but I have used this for hunting a couple of times. It’s an old pairing knife that was part of a butcher block set from forever ago. It’s now carried in my work truck with a camping fork & knife for the occasional meal that requires utensils.

Nothing pretty, but still sharp as hell and incredibly useful when needed.

Attachments

• 1718185931677.jpeg
    10 MB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

I have always wanted a Loveless Drop Point Hunter with Micarta handle slabs. It is the epitome of form and function to me. And I wanted to actually use it. For those who don't know Robert Loveless is legendary in the handmade knife world, and even a basic Drop Point goes for $4-5 grand. That is out of my range. But through research and happenstance I found out one of the makers Loveless worked with was a gent named Mike Lovett. From what I understand he didn't just want to copy a Loveless knife as many have, he wanted to make Loveless knives. He ended up working with Loveless honing his skills to the point he was given multiple patterns by Loveless and allowed to use a similar logo. He made what he called the Loveless Connection knives. Thankfully they are far more reasonably priced, though not cheap. Alas Mr Lovett has retired and they aren't getting any more common either.

This past week I found the one I was after. A Lovett Loveless Drop Point Hunter with black Micarta handle and red spacers. It showed up today and it is everything I expected.

It will be going hunting this fall. View attachment 612782View attachment 612783
Very nice, this is my "Loveless", made by a friend of mine in Spain

IMG_0623.JPG

Brought the NZ made Svord knife when I was 15/16 been with me everywhere all my big hunts and when safari over landing. Added the bronze hilt to stop finger slip and hand a saddle maker add the steel pouch. I love that it’s thin you can see how much compared to the this Argentinian blade given to me by my wife.
Really love the full length hilt cover sheath.
IMG_8375.jpeg

View attachment IMG_8376.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8378.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8377.jpeg

Here's one of my hunting knives....powdered steel blade by Esee. Mammoth ivory scales fitted by a friend.

I'm very curious on this - Did you mean mammoth as in prehistoric wooly type? How on earth do you get your hands on that? How interesting and cool!

Yes that is correct. There are definitely legal sources for this material. It's not regulated like ele ivory.

It's great as knife scales and also very good on handguns. It's very resistant to recoil. Keep in mind, this material has been stabilized. The dark streaks here are not cracks...it's all mineral streaking and is completely smooth and stable.

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7454.JPG

It will be going hunting this fall. View attachment 612782View attachment 612783

Thats a nice rendition of a Loveless dropped hunter and has all the key elements right. I did a double take when I first saw it as it looks like a Loveless Riverside knife until you look a little closer to the makers mark. It would be a very valuable knife if it was a genuine Loveless Riverside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's