Show Us Your Hunting Knife

since we’re still sharing…..

4FF0EBCC-279F-4B3F-B3A5-0F1A0D5FD37B.jpeg

Maybe try some hi viz duct tape

View attachment 450235
Being a little more serious (not as much fun though), I ordered my Cutco Hunting knife with the serrated blade only because I've never had a hunting/utility knife with a serrated blade? Only kitchen knives. But, it is wickedly sharp and deceiving as such in its design. Your an expert, so what is the advantages/disadvantages of a serrated blade versus a standard blade? Thread creep, but it's for scientific purposes, so?

Being a little more serious (not as much fun though), I ordered my Cutco Hunting knife with the serrated blade only because I've never had a hunting/utility knife with a serrated blade? Only kitchen knives. But, it is wickedly sharp and deceiving as such in its design. Your an expert, so what is the advantages/disadvantages of a serrated blade versus a standard blade? Thread creep, but it's for scientific purposes, so?
I certainly don’t claim to be an expert but they are excellent at cutting things that are difficult to cut with a straight edge like bread or rope as they are much more aggressive. They also stay sharp much longer, for a couple reasons. One, they have much more surface area than a straight edge of the same length.…as much as 25 percent more. Two, the points protect the recess to a degree. Think of hitting bone….the tip will hit but the recess likely won’t. Also, the tips do the hard work breaking thru the tough surface while the recess does the cutting.

The main drawbacks are difficulty in sharpening and they tend to not cut very cleanly. Think skinning an animal. The serrated knife is going to hack the meat all up and I sure wouldn’t want to shave with one.

Now all that said what I do like on my personal knives is a toothy edge…around 200 grit stone rather than a polished edge. I think the toothy edge cuts better on most things because it acts as micro serrations if you will. Think of slicing a tomato. A polished edge unless absolutely razor sharp will slide on the peel and a toothy edge will grab and cut. I have a Dexter Russell commercial diamond rod that is about all I use. Once the initial edge is on the knife it seldom needs resharpening on stones unless the edge is damaged.….just a quick touch up on the rod which leaves that perfect toothy edge.

The next time I'm accused of being some hedonistic redneck I shall pull a photo of his duct tape sheath to counter that accusation. And I will win that particular argument
And it was actual Duck tape brand duct tape. High quality! Ha! Ha!

The next time I'm accused of being some hedonistic redneck I shall pull a photo of his duct tape sheath to counter that accusation. And I will win that particular argument
WELL, yesterday I saw a "sports" car with the ENTIRE front bumper/grill assembly attached to the hood and front under carriage with about twenty strands of DUCT TAPE! Even I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't seen it. I just made a knife sheath? LOL

Maybe try some hi viz duct tape

View attachment 450235
@CBeck
@CoElkHunter tried that stuff on himself and still lost himself.
His favourite saying is
I've gone to find myself.
If I return before I get home keep me here.
He is a problem child, hew would lose his balls if he didn't have a sack to carry them in.
Bob

@CBeck
@CoElkHunter tried that stuff on himself and still lost himself.
His favourite saying is
I've gone to find myself.
If I return before I get home keep me here.
He is a problem child, hew would lose his balls if he didn't have a sack to carry them in.
Bob
Bob,
"Not all those who wander are lost?". "Not all those who set their knife sheaths on a log will find them later, especially if it's snowing?" "Always carry a skinning knife with a fluorescent orange handle or a special elven made steel blade which glows when two forty threes are present?" "Never stay here on AH too long at one sitting or you might go insane?"
Quotes for the day. LOL
CEH

Last edited:
Here are my two primary hunting knives. Nothing fancy. Just a couple of working man Benchmades. One a folder and the other fixed. I've cleaned and skinned game with both of them many times. I bought the orange one because it was on sale cheap. I'm guessing too many mall ninjas were put off by the day-glo color. I think it's godsend. I'll never not have at least one hi-vis knife with me in the field.

EDIT: Having issues uploading pics. One is a Benchmade Mel Pardue Hunter. The other is a day glow orange full size Griptillian.

Last edited:
I don't want to make any nervous flyers more paranoid than they already are but I'm guessing about 1/5 of airliners have at least one piece of duct tape on the fuselage or wings. We call it speed tape but it's still basically duct tape. Works great, lasts long time.
A friend who services aircraft for an unnamed airline at an undisclosed location gave me a roll of the stuff a few years ago… Very good stuff… Wish I had some more. Also gave me a roll of some kind of flat six or eight stranded flat rope type stuff they used to tie cargo down… It’s awesome stuff too. You can split it in half and double

Bob,
"Not all those who wander are lost?". "Not all those who set their knife sheaths on a log will find them later, especially if it's snowing?" "Always carry a skinning knife with a fluorescent orange handle or a special elven made steel blade which glows when two forty threes are present?" "Never stay here on AH too long at one sitting or you might go insane?"
Quotes for the day. LOL
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Mate one of those special eleven made blades would be no use to me as I refuse to hunt with people that shoot a 243 so the knife would never glow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyceBeard

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!