Show Us Your Hunting Knife

My shrade old timer

1643553493280.jpeg
1643553563157.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Schrade Old Timer sharp finger that was my primary hunting knife for 35 years.View attachment 449693 My newest aquisition. Seem to be entering a Damascus phase.View attachment 449694 Now for a plea for information. This knife my Dad gave me for my first hunting season in 1971. When I joined the army he put it in his gun cabinet and forgot about it for 45 years. Just found it and returned it to me last fall. View attachment 449696 View attachment 449697
@MS 9x56
Love those little sharp fingers but every time I had one some decided they wanted it more than me. Had around 5 or 6 stolen over the time.
My last one I gave to a mates son for his first skinning knife.
Bob

@MS 9x56
Love those little sharp fingers but every time I had one some decided they wanted it more than me. Had around 5 or 6 stolen over the time.
My last one I gave to a mates son for his first skinning knife.
Bob
Scoundrels….good thing you can pick them up for $20 or so. It is a great design of a belt knife.

Cutco skinner w/orange handle so I won’t lose it in the snow.

View attachment 449834
@CoElkHunter
This is my latest acquisition a new old stock G96 model 800. Supposedly designed by the Japanese knife maker Hattori and treated to around 59 Rockwell
G96 made knives that were knock off of rhe Buck knives but were reported to be better steel than the bucks.
Looking forward to seeing how it goes as it is wickedly sharp.
Bob
20220201_094535.jpg

Thread drift but what the hey, the covidcrazies cover all transgressions, right? :) We've already broached the subject of the crucible steel Viking Ulfberht. I have watched both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies several times and instantly noticed this sword scene in The Two Towers, Battle of Helm's Deep. Aragorn is encouraging young I'mma to be brave just before the Uruk-hai assault. He inspects I'mma's old battle worn sword and proclaims, "this is a good sword". I believe there's a fair chance the director and/or armorer constructed this sword for a reason, possibly subtle, and entered the scene into the story line in deference to the Viking crucible steel Ulfberht. If not.... an interesting and romantic thought. It's generally accepted many of JRR Tolkien's cultures of Middle Earth were, in some form, purposely patterned after real cultures from history.

View attachment 430269
What sort of steel were Legolas's knive's/short swords? Or for that matter Gandalf's? :)
Not mine, but I like something like this (yesterday morning)
View attachment 434052
What the heck are you skinning?

Bilbo's short sword was of special elven steel that glowed when orcs were near and gifted to him IIRC by Gandalf. It was made by the elves of Gandolin during the First Age. Of course Legolas' blades were forged by the elves of the Woodland Realm. :) Gandalf's blades- I dunno?

An armorer was hired by the production company to make most all the blades/arms used in both trilogies. The sword that Aragorn was inspecting for the young warrior at Helm's Deep just prior to the Uruk-hai siege was purposefully nicked and battle scarred by the armorer and reminded me of the general form and construction of a Viking Ulfberht- a subtle connection to certain real cultures of the past. A connection as originally expressed by Tolkien, I don't think was lost by either the director or armorer during production of the films.

Last edited:
@CoElkHunter
This is my latest acquisition a new old stock G96 model 800. Supposedly designed by the Japanese knife maker Hattori and treated to around 59 Rockwell
G96 made knives that were knock off of rhe Buck knives but were reported to be better steel than the bucks.
Bob
View attachment 450028
Very NICE Bob!

@CoElkHunter
Bob
View attachment 450028
Bilbo's short sword was of special elven steel that glowed when orcs were near and gifted to him IIRC by Gandalf. It was made by the elves of Gandolin during the First Age. Of course Legolas' blades were forged by the elves of the Woodland Realm. :) Gandalf's blades- I dunno?

An armorer was hired by the production company to make most all the blades/arms used in both trilogies. The sword that Aragorn was inspecting for the young warrior at Helm's Deep just prior to the Uruk-hai siege was purposefully nicked and battle scarred by the armorer and reminded me of the general form and construction of a Viking Ulfberht- a subtle connection to certain real cultures of the past. A connection as originally expressed by Tolkien, I don't think was lost by either the director or armorer during production of the films.
I believe Bob’s special elven steel knife glows when .243s are near?

I really like many of these belt carried hunting knives described and displayed here, especially the handmade ones. But for me, carrying a knife on my belt when hunting is foreign to me. With the exception of pronghorn hunting, I carry a backpack almost always when mountain hunting and the pack’s waist (hip) belt isn’t conducive to carrying a belt knife. I do carry a couple of skinning knives and Wyoming saw in my pack though.

I believe Bob’s special elven steel knife glows when .243s are near?

Bob glows when .243's are near because his blood pressure goes up.

We know Bob is really OK… unless someone catches him in a dark corner holding and staring affectionately at an old 35 Whelen case and repeating, “My Precious” over and over and answering to the name, Sméagol

We know Bob is really OK… unless someone catches him in a dark corner holding and staring affectionately at an old 35 Whelen case and repeating, “My Precious” over and over and answering to the name, Sméagol
"We know Bob is really OK"? Really? Have you read most of his threads/posts? He's probably scouring the countryside for OZ "elven steel" to make a glowing knife right now! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Here’s a couple more I have. It’s my night off from work, it’s snowing like a bitch, I’m bored and am drinking a couple of Busch lites, so here you go: top left is a Buck survival knife, a Buck skinner with a homemade cardboard/duct tape sheath (lost the original in the snow) and a Cutco hunting knife w/serrated blade. Yahoo!

7E7C49AB-1EA4-400D-965F-E009CE623CF2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deelahmad

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?