Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
Shooting Smokeless Powder in my Remington 700 UML w/ target

I'm bound to create some controversy with this post, but I've been doing this for 3 years. Black powder and black powder substitutes are not to my liking. Those have too much mess and too much to clean-up afterwards. By studying low pressure smokeless loads in my Nitro-for-Black double rifles, I've come up with a smokeless load for my Remington UML. THIS POST IS TO TELL WHAT I HAVE DONE AND NOT TO RECOMMEND OTHERS TO TRY THIS - This is the ONLY model muzzle loading rifle that I would dare to try to use smokeless powder. The Remington 700 UML is a true 700 action with a special barrel and breech. (see pics) The UML is so much like a conventional Model 700 that BATF requires it has to be purchased through a Licensed Federal Firearms Dealer, just like a regular modern centerfire rifle. Unfortunately the UML has been discontinued and those on the used market are going for about double their original retail price.

My loading procedure is as follows ..... I pour 38g of AA5744 down the barrel - then I push the "sabot only" down the barrel, seating it HARD in one continuous stroke - then I drop the bullet down the barrel and seat it into the sabot with 8 firm raps - finally, I insert the Remington special primed brass case into the chamber. By seating the sabot separately, without the bullet, its much easier to load than trying to force the sabot with the bullet inside down the barrel. I consider 38g of AA5744 safe and MAXIMUM in my rifle. At just over 1900 fps its a good load for my area. It covers zero to 200 yards which is the maximum range for hunting whitetail deer on my hunting land. My rifle is sighted 4-1/4" high at 100yds, which is 4-1/4" low at 200yds. So zero to 200yds I aim at the top of the heart. (at 225 yards, the bullet would strike about 9 inches below aiming point)

With the rifle sighted dead-on at 170 yards, the target below shows a 3/4" 3-shot group at 100 yards. (bullets strike above center aiming) The measured velocity was 1908fps average. (sd was 7fps) - Velocities were measured using a Garman Xero C1 Doopler Radar Chronograph - velocity accurate to with 0.10 fps. The 3 circles below center show the expected impact at 200 yards.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/50muz-info.jpg

50muz-info.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but if you want to hunt in a Muzzle Loading Only Season, and don't like the mess and clean-up of black powder, you have to improvise.

I agree, but if you want to hunt in a Muzzle Loading Only Season, and don't like the mess and clean-up of black powder, you have to improvise.
Which violates the spirit of the season. It’s the same as able bodied (I’d argue anyone though) hunters using a scoped crossbow in archery season. They’re imposed limits for a reason.

I’m all for innovation in hunting methods, but not at the expense of the seasons. Good work with your gun though. Enjoy it.

As long as its within the State Law, I have no issue. Here in Wisconsin, crossbows with scopes are also legal, as are scoped muzzle loaders using smokeless powder.

I've had several Savage ML rifle's that are specifically built to use smokeless powder, but always loaded on the conservative side of the load tables. In my experience, accuracy wasn't to be found at the max end of things, so there wasn't any reason to push the limits.

Whether it's race cars or rifles, when you max things out, sooner or later you'll run into trouble.

I have a Savage ML and a NULA ML that both shoot smokeless. I love using a single shot rifle and often carry the NULA during firearm season in Maine.

It’s ridiculously, almost prohibitively, expensive right now from retailers, but have you had any luck with Blackhorn 209? I’ve had reports from customers when I worked retail that it was a fantastic powder and made cleanup a breeze.

Blackhorn 209, like other black powder substitutes, requires diligent cleaning after use, or else the remaining residue will absorb moisture, and severely rust the bore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricelaSo

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe