Shooting off sticks

I have found out that my PH in RSA uses Stoney Point shooting sticks.
From what I see those are good, simple bipod sticks. I have kept it simple and used similar for years. That's all I used on my first two trips to Namibia A couple good stout tomato stakes or even just a couple decent alder branches and some rope or some heavy rubber bands will make a suitable substitute for a few bucks. Follow @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS advice on stance and such and you'll be doing great.

Last edited:
I use a Primos Trigger Stick - same as my PH in TZ uses. I had never used sticks before I began planning the African trip. It was uncomfortable in the beginning, but I dry fired my .22 target rifle, then used live .22 every day, then mixed in dry fire with my 404J, graduating to low recoil 'practice' loads in the 404J. I fired about 250 404J rounds, both practice and full hunting loads and became confident I could hit any reasonable target within 200 yards. Concern over recoil disappeared. Finally, I used my light rifle and my 404J switching from one to another.

Before the hunt my PH told me, "Learn to get on the sticks quickly!" I did and it paid off.

Eland1.jpeg

I was just about to say the same!

Being a South African and hunting every year its basically second nature shooting off of sticks.

It would be wise to ask the PH what sticks he plans on using as there are many different types.

And OP is correct in asking what to feel as there is a HUGE difference in how they all feel. This is due to the relationship between where the sticks are in connection to the shooter. Even the "rest" for the rifle. Some like trigger stick feels awkward because the handle is below the "rest". Some like the vangaurd tripod feels bulky and you dont know where to place your support hand. All this is obviously subjective, but can put a "new to stick" shooter off. So try as many as possible and see what feels the best. For 150yards and closer then a tripod of some sort will be perfect. If 200+yards is on the table then a quad stick will be more stable ,but also takes longer to set up and unless you are well trained with them ,they will be somewhat thumbly and awkward to get onto quickly.

ALL OF THIS IS RELEVANT! BUT ALSO NOT! At the end of the day if you practice a bit and dont OVERTHINK it you will be fine.

For example here is a pair i made last week for my upcoming hunt end of April. As mentioned i am from Africa and have shot off of many sticks, so i decided to combine everything i like into 1 shooting stick. I dont like the handle of the trigger stick, i dont like the standard 'V' or ' U' nodge rest for the rifle and i dont like that quad sticks cant stand alone. WHAT i do like is having a flat base such as a sand bag or when shooting off of my pack. I like that a tripod can stand alone without my support. I like that i can QUICKLY deploy the tripod and get on it and comfortable. And lastly i like the "traditional " wooden look, so hence i made a wooden tripod with a flat base with a sponge covered in artificial leather. With a parracord handle to prevent rattle noise(and you never know when a bit of rope can come in handy) and rubber feet for non slip regardless of terain.View attachment 527098View attachment 527099
Hi Elton, I really like your tripod. Is the stick attachment mechanism made of steel, in which case isn't it heavy? If you made a set with a light head and a real leather cushion I would be your first customer. Would you consider making me one?

Prior to my first trip to Africa I had never used tripod type sticks. But when hunting I always tried to find a rest or best position like sitting or prone. I took the Jack OConnor saying seriously, "Use a rest and hit". Hunting/calling coyotes I had used homemade, short bipod wood sticks from sitting position quite a bit. But still, standing off hand and using tripod Africa type sticks is/was something new and different. I also vividly remember the concept a shooting instructor in the Army drilled into us, "Use your skeleton to support your weight against gravity, that's what it is for. Trying to use your muscles to do that is counterproductive". I never forgot it!

I have gotten used to using regular Africa type tripod sticks. If the tracker or PH sets them to my best height, they all work the same for me no matter their design. I let the PHs and trackers use their own sticks in Africa.... IMO, it's best to let them use what they're most comfortable using. In the field, I try to get to my best off hand and relaxed standing position behind the sticks, letting my skeleton support my weight then let the sticks support the weight of the forward part of the rifle at the forend. For me that causes fewest muscle tremors allowing the most steady rest and best shot.

Last edited:
Prior to my first trip to Africa I had never used tripod type sticks. But when hunting I always tried to find a rest or best position like sitting or prone. I took the Jack OConnor saying seriously, "Use a rest and hit". Hunting/calling coyotes I had used homemade, short bipod wood sticks from sitting position quite a bit. But still, standing off hand and using tripod Africa type sticks is/was something new and different. I also vividly remember the concept a shooting instructor in the Army drilled into us, "Use your skeleton to support your weight against gravity, that's what it is for. Trying to use your muscles to do that is counterproductive". I never forgot it!

I have gotten used to using regular Africa type tripod sticks. If the tracker or PH sets them to my best height, they all work the same for me no matter their design. I let the PHs and trackers use their own sticks in Africa.... IMO, it's best to let them use what they're most comfortable using. In the field, I try to get to my best off hand and relaxed standing position behind the sticks, letting my skeleton support my weight then let the sticks support the weight of the forward part of the rifle at the forend. For me that causes fewest muscle tremors allowing the most steady rest and best shot.
I agree. I inquired to my PH what types of sticks he uses. He replied Stoney Points. So now I will practice with them over here. I want him to carry what he is comfortable with.

Treat yourself to a set of the 2pc take-down African Sporting Creations Shooting Sticks. Practice with them and bring them along on your hunt. Despite their simple appearance, they're rock solid once you get the hang of loading them with some forward pressure vs using sticks as a substitute for a bench rest....that's the basic concept that I see most people missing regardless of the sticks being used. Every PH I've hunted with was very happy to use them on our hunts and seemed genuinely impressed with the quality and feel. They're quiet, fast to adjust for height, durable and a pleasure to use vs some Chinese-made contraption. Best of all, Jim and the people at ASC are just good dudes putting out a quality piece of kit in a world of disposable widgets.

No need to buy anything expensive to try out double, triple and quad sticks. For years I used plastic coated metal garden canes joined together with strips of bicycle inner tube. Cost is virtually nothing and you can try twin, triple and quad sticks to see how you get on. Bear in mind the quad sticks take a bit of getting used to but are much more steady. They can also be used as a bipod for quick shots.

Treat yourself to a set of the 2pc take-down African Sporting Creations Shooting Sticks. Practice with them and bring them along on your hunt. Despite their simple appearance, they're rock solid once you get the hang of loading them with some forward pressure vs using sticks as a substitute for a bench rest....that's the basic concept that I see most people missing regardless of the sticks being used. Every PH I've hunted with was very happy to use them on our hunts and seemed genuinely impressed with the quality and feel. They're quiet, fast to adjust for height, durable and a pleasure to use vs some Chinese-made contraption. Best of all, Jim and the people at ASC are just good dudes putting out a quality piece of kit in a world of disposable widgets.
I have bought many different shooting sticks. I wish I would have just started with a set of Jim’s sticks and I would have never bought others. We have the 3 piece take down and Jim made shorter end pieces for when the wife is using them.

safe shooting

Most people who learn to use quad sticks will never go back to a tripod as you get much better accuracy potential and much more flexibility. In reality the bipod and tripod give the same level of support - at the foreend of the rifle alone. Quad sticks with front and rear support are a game changer! See the attached photo of a 4 shot group off Viper flex quad sticks with a .375 with max loaded 300grain solids to see why (before you say…yes I know it’s a 4 shot group!). The trick to using quad sticks is to open up the legs and hook the stock behind the pistol grip onto the rear support then drop the foreend down onto the front support as it gets pushed forwards.

B1119CE0-3636-40E7-9698-A30B9B8FD82F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Elton, I really like your tripod. Is the stick attachment mechanism made of steel, in which case isn't it heavy? If you made a set with a light head and a real leather cushion I would be your first customer. Would you consider making me one?
It is made of steel, but not heavy at all though. Its actually well ballenced and comfortable to carry. I am sure Aluminium would be lighter but unfortunately i cant weld alu. I must also admit that i was drawn to steel from the get go as i wanted a sturdy platform. Its only 10 x 10cm and 3mm thick. So not a huge chunk of steel.

The real skill you need to learn is how to get steady in any position using any available resources. Practice shooting standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, off a backpack, using a tree or post, off sticks, laying over rocks. Learn how to quickly use a bunched up jacket to improvise a rest in a variety of situations. If you are going to the range, setting up your sticks, and then taking your sweet time to get everything just right to squeeze off the tightest group possible, then you are not working on the skills you need.

The best way to get proficient is lots and lots of trigger time, .22lr is fine. Get a pellet gun and roam the woods shooting squirrels, birds, pests, pine cones, or whatever you can ethically and legally shoot.

The ability to quickly deploy your rifle in a reasonably stable manner, and quickly get on target, is far more important than shooting a 1 inch group at 200 yards off sticks. A 6 inch group will fill the skinning shed, but taking too long to get steady on target will cost you opportunities.

I don’t think practicing off the exact sticks you will use in Africa is vital. It’s the PH/Trackers job to carry and deploy the sticks. They should use whatever they like to use.

When I first started hunting Africa we usually used actual sticks that were bound together with pieces of inner tubes. These are far superior to any wiz bang metallic noise making made in China garbage. I have three wooden dowels held together with a bungee cord that I have used to prep many people for Africa.

When you are ready to test your skills get a friend to go to the range with you. Walk around and have your friend randomly deploy the sticks and call out a target for you to mimic that kudu that has about 2 seconds of checking you out before he bolts never to be seen again.

Make yourself a set and Practice.

guys dont overthink it, this is problem no1
you rest your gun on the sticks, the sticks should not get pressed on or pushed on or pushed forward etc, this will cause 1 leg of a tri stick to lift or move etc.
we use only home made dowels stocks tied together with rip cord, better, dont break, no clinky sounds etc. if you shorter we open the legs of sticks wider, pretty simple
trigger sticks etc last maybe 1 month here, with dust etc they either stop moving up and down or dont extend etc

just relax, spread your legs a bit one foot slightly in front of other, rest forend of stock in the sticks, take aim at target and squeeze. one major thing....if you take too long to squeeze trigger rather lift gun and start again
if you are a tall gent or sticks are a little low when u set up, just open your legs a bit wider
if the animal is to the left, move a little right, dont move the sticks, keep it simple, stay relaxed

your ph should cup your right elbow in his left elbow , if you are right handed, for longer shots this adds a lot of stability
Couldn't agree more. Don't care for quad sticks at all. Twice as hard to readjust if the animal moves. I find old style tripod to be very useful and I can stay steady enough with my left hand holding the fore end and crotch of tripod. I don't like leaning into the sticks. I try to be balanced with the gun just as if I was using a birch tree to stabilize my gun as I draw down on a moose or elk. Shot my first buff at 110 meters. I couldn't get steady on the sticks due to sidewind and wouldn't take the shot. Then my PH supported my right arm as described above and it was no sweat. Shot it through the heart and it went down within less than twenty yards.

If the OP has some experience hunting, he shouldn't "overthink" this. Though I had been hunting for more than a half century, I had no experience at all with sticks when I went to Africa the first time. First morning I shot four fine animals before lunch, three off the sticks. Those three were taken in as many shots at 170, 280, and 100 meters. All dropped dead with 30-06, including tough bull wildebeest. Warthog was last in the truck and shot fast offhand. It required a finisher. Anyway, don't worry about it. You'll do fine. Your PH will know what to do. I would, however, advise practice dry firing in the house in the evenings (pull the blinds so the neighbors don't freak out). It is good to get the feel of where your trigger lets off. Also make sure you have correct eye relief. Close your eyes, mount the gun, open your eye, and crosshairs should be fully visible. If eye relief is correct, you should be able to get on the gun quickly even if unfamiliar with sticks.

Regardless what shooting sticks you choose, there is no better practice this time of year if this is an option where you live.
View attachment 527100
I bought this same set of sticks in England over Christmas. After using them during a 6 day hunt I was really impressed. It took some practice to learn to lean the sticks to one side to pivot. After figuring that out, it was sold.

I have a couple sets of tripod sticks including some homemade ones. I’d suggest the we all practice with all different types of sticks available.

I use a Primos Trigger Stick - same as my PH in TZ uses. I had never used sticks before I began planning the African trip. It was uncomfortable in the beginning, but I dry fired my .22 target rifle, then used live .22 every day, then mixed in dry fire with my 404J, graduating to low recoil 'practice' loads in the 404J. I fired about 250 404J rounds, both practice and full hunting loads and became confident I could hit any reasonable target within 200 yards. Concern over recoil disappeared. Finally, I used my light rifle and my 404J switching from one to another.

Before the hunt my PH told me, "Learn to get on the sticks quickly!" I did and it paid off.

View attachment 527260
That is one nice animal! Its on my list for safari #2, eland. They are also excellent eating. big animals.

Oh, sticks. I shot some animals from sticks and it was a bit harder than I thought. Next trip I'll buy set and practice more with my .22 and big gun. It's hard here in MN during the winter months.

Great Eland. I need me one too. Nice rifle too by the way.

That is one nice animal! Its on my list for safari #2, eland. They are also excellent eating. big animals.

Oh, sticks. I shot some animals from sticks and it was a bit harder than I thought. Next trip I'll buy set and practice more with my .22 and big gun. It's hard here in MN during the winter months.

Great Eland. I need me one too. Nice rifle too by the way.
Thank you! After a few hundred rounds you get 'into' the sticks and they help a lot, especially in the miombo bush country.

The rifle is a 404 Jeffery built on a GM action by Reto Buehler.

Thank you! After a few hundred rounds you get 'into' the sticks and they help a lot, especially in the miombo bush country.

The rifle is a 404 Jeffery built on a GM action by Reto Buehler.
Reto makes a fine rifle and is a great guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteffenWkl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]