Shooting off sticks

Question those big sticks do you need to adjust height your self? Or are they self adjusting like the trigger stick?
cheers

I plan to practice that (a lot) before I head over. Any advice for someone who has never shot off sticks before? Anything different I should be "feeling" or doing?
Love this helpful community. Thanks in advance.

Practice on soft ground (not concrete, hard sand, gravel, tarmac). In my opinion type of sticks is less important, 3 garden bamboopoles and some rubberband works.

And training do not have to be with a full caliber gun, I do most of my shooting with a "full size" .22

guys dont overthink it, this is problem no1
you rest your gun on the sticks, the sticks should not get pressed on or pushed on or pushed forward etc, this will cause 1 leg of a tri stick to lift or move etc.
we use only home made dowels stocks tied together with rip cord, better, dont break, no clinky sounds etc. if you shorter we open the legs of sticks wider, pretty simple
trigger sticks etc last maybe 1 month here, with dust etc they either stop moving up and down or dont extend etc

just relax, spread your legs a bit one foot slightly in front of other, rest forend of stock in the sticks, take aim at target and squeeze. one major thing....if you take too long to squeeze trigger rather lift gun and start again
if you are a tall gent or sticks are a little low when u set up, just open your legs a bit wider
if the animal is to the left, move a little right, dont move the sticks, keep it simple, stay relaxed

your ph should cup your right elbow in his left elbow , if you are right handed, for longer shots this adds a lot of stability

Scheduled for my first African Safari in June of 2024. Although I am an avid hunter here in my US home, I have never shot off sticks. Of course I plan to practice that (a lot) before I head over. Any advice for someone who has never shot off sticks before? Anything different I should be "feeling" or doing?
The best post on here for shooting of sticks is by @oneday most people turn sideways instead of facing the target squarely which is much more stable. Never rest your barrel on the sticks only fore arm rifle piece. I find more stability if I pull with my left hand holding the sticks while pushing into the sticks. My experience

Scheduled for my first African Safari in June of 2024. Although I am an avid hunter here in my US home, I have never shot off sticks. Of course I plan to practice that (a lot) before I head over. Any advice for someone who has never shot off sticks before? Anything different I should be "feeling" or doing?
Hi @migrabill!

Congrats on scheduling your first African Safari! Like others have said, practice. You will find what you like and what feels most comfortable to you. I am also one that is not a fan of quad sticks. I have tried all the popular shooting sticks. I got my husband @ActionBob Jim Shokey’s trigger sticks for Christmas one year. Those are my favorite. He has quad sticks and a few other brands. I have used my own in Africa, and the PH’s shooting sticks and have even killed a few critters using Bob’s shoulder for my sticks. For me the most important thing is to feel steady and comfortable when on sticks. That will come with practice. Good on you researching; June 2024 will be here before you know it!
:giggle: Gina

Relax on the sticks and find best height for you. Just like shooting in any position. Relax your body on top of your skeleton and let the sticks hold up the forend the rifle. You will learn one way or the other about creeping the scope on heavy recoiling rifles ;) Either a tracker or the PH will be setting the sticks. Get with them before you go out and practice a little and let them know the best height. Things will happen quickly so all you should be thinking about is focusing on the right animal, getting on the sticks, settling the rifle and squeezing the trigger.

Last edited:
After using the Primos Tall Tripod I gave away my Bog
Here in the US I don't bother packing a stick when rifle hunting. 90%of the time I can sit down and the other 10% there is usually a ready made rest that I can use.

I can count on one hand the number of standing off hand shots that I have taken in over 55 years of deer and elk hunting.

Any advice for someone who has never shot off sticks before?
To make it cheaper, consider training by dry firing,and then switch to 22lr. Then you switch to centerfire, including the caliber you will use.

I prefer jim shokey primos tripod.
It is telescopic.
I found out that my most stable position for shooting is sitting or kneeling when using tripod.
During hunt, maybe this will not be possible due to high grass etc. But in many occasions it will be possible.
So, train all shooting positions with tripod.

bring your stick:
In African hunting camp: most probably telescopic function of their sticks will not work. African fine red dust gets everywhere. So, if you are used to your stick, bring it with you on a hunt.

I have found out that my PH in RSA uses Stoney Point shooting sticks.

I take my Bog Adrenaline tripod sticks with me. Compact enough to fit in my checked bag, but I have plenty of room in my gun case.

I also have a set of the Shockley Primos and they are heavy-ish, and one of the leg sections tends to fall off. (For sale - cheap.)

With the Bogs (or any extendable), just extend to your preferred length each morning at camp before leaving in the vehicle.

20210702_103301~2.jpg

This is what I did, and it worked beautifully for me. I purchased a set of the quad shooting sticks and practiced once a week. I took a 22LR, and the rifle I was going to hunt with a CZ-550 in 375 H&H. I would shoot the 22 LR first, then switch to the 375 H&H until my body told me enough, I would then end the session with the 22 LR. At first, I could only take 2-4 shots from the 375, but as time progressed, I was getting more and more comfortable shooting the rifle to the point of shooting 10-15 shots. I took those shooting sticks to Africa and used them during my safari. I ended giving them to my PH, and seems like he is putting them to good use.

Ask your PH what type of sticks he’s using and you can get an exact or close copy to practice with. Tripods are usually standard but quad sticks are getting much more popular. They both require a different shooting method. Tripods require more practice to be accurate. Quad sticks require more practice to be fast.
I was just about to say the same!

Being a South African and hunting every year its basically second nature shooting off of sticks.

It would be wise to ask the PH what sticks he plans on using as there are many different types.

And OP is correct in asking what to feel as there is a HUGE difference in how they all feel. This is due to the relationship between where the sticks are in connection to the shooter. Even the "rest" for the rifle. Some like trigger stick feels awkward because the handle is below the "rest". Some like the vangaurd tripod feels bulky and you dont know where to place your support hand. All this is obviously subjective, but can put a "new to stick" shooter off. So try as many as possible and see what feels the best. For 150yards and closer then a tripod of some sort will be perfect. If 200+yards is on the table then a quad stick will be more stable ,but also takes longer to set up and unless you are well trained with them ,they will be somewhat thumbly and awkward to get onto quickly.

ALL OF THIS IS RELEVANT! BUT ALSO NOT! At the end of the day if you practice a bit and dont OVERTHINK it you will be fine.

For example here is a pair i made last week for my upcoming hunt end of April. As mentioned i am from Africa and have shot off of many sticks, so i decided to combine everything i like into 1 shooting stick. I dont like the handle of the trigger stick, i dont like the standard 'V' or ' U' nodge rest for the rifle and i dont like that quad sticks cant stand alone. WHAT i do like is having a flat base such as a sand bag or when shooting off of my pack. I like that a tripod can stand alone without my support. I like that i can QUICKLY deploy the tripod and get on it and comfortable. And lastly i like the "traditional " wooden look, so hence i made a wooden tripod with a flat base with a sponge covered in artificial leather. With a parracord handle to prevent rattle noise(and you never know when a bit of rope can come in handy) and rubber feet for non slip regardless of terain.
20230330_174827.jpg
20230330_174833.jpg

Being a South African and hunting every year its basically second nature shooting off of sticks.

It would be wise to ask the PH what sticks he plans on using as there are many different types.

And OP is correct in asking what to feel as there is a HUGE difference in how they all feel. This is due to the relationship between where the sticks are in connection to the shooter. Even the "rest" for the rifle. Some like trigger stick feels awkward because the handle is below the "rest". Some like the vangaurd tripod feels bulky and you dont know where to place your support hand. All this is obviously subjective, but can put a "new to stick" shooter off. So try as many as possible and see what feels the best. For 150yards and closer then a tripod of some sort will be perfect. If 200+yards is on the table then a quad stick will be more stable ,but also takes longer to set up and unless you are well trained with them ,they will be somewhat thumbly and awkward to get onto quickly.

ALL OF THIS IS RELEVANT! BUT ALSO NOT! At the end of the day if you practice a bit and dont OVERTHINK it you will be fine.

For example here is a pair i made last week for my upcoming hunt end of April. As mentioned i am from Africa and have shot off of many sticks, so i decided to combine everything i like into 1 shooting stick. I dont like the handle of the trigger stick, i dont like the standard 'V' or ' U' nodge rest for the rifle and i dont like that quad sticks cant stand alone. WHAT i do like is having a flat base such as a sand bag or when shooting off of my pack. I like that a tripod can stand alone without my support. I like that i can QUICKLY deploy the tripod and get on it and comfortable. And lastly i like the "traditional " wooden look, so hence i made a wooden tripod with a flat base with a sponge covered in artificial leather. With a parracord handle to prevent rattle noise(and you never know when a bit of rope can come in handy) and rubber feet for non slip regardless of terain.View attachment 527098View attachment 527099
I like this. It lets you hold the rifle and rest your arm, as it should be.

For example here is a pair i made last week for my upcoming hunt end of April. As mentioned i am from Africa and have shot off of many sticks, so i decided to combine everything i like into 1 shooting stick. I dont like the handle of the trigger stick, i dont like the standard 'V' or ' U' nodge rest for the rifle and i dont like that quad sticks cant stand alone. WHAT i do like is having a flat base such as a sand bag or when shooting off of my pack. I like that a tripod can stand alone without my support. I like that i can QUICKLY deploy the tripod and get on it and comfortable. And lastly i like the "traditional " wooden look, so hence i made a wooden tripod with a flat base with a sponge covered in artificial leather. With a parracord handle to prevent rattle noise(and you never know when a bit of rope can come in handy) and rubber feet for non slip regardless of terain.View attachment 527098View attachment 527099
Did something similar to my quad sticks. I prefer to actually hold the forend and rest the back of my hand on the rest. It allows quite a bit of tracking of movement before I might need to mess with the sticks, along with complete control for a quick follow up shot. With the "5th" leg, they can also be used very quickly as a simple tripod for a shot, or to hang gear from. I've found these quad sticks to be as solid as a bench; and a lot easier to carry with me.

1680734857998.jpeg

1680734813997.jpeg

Most stalkers (hunters) over here shoot off sticks of some kind

They are common place and require only a little bit of practice to get used to

As has been said - do not over think them

Get your favourite .22LR out and gradually work back from 50m to 150m with them

Quads, in particular, don't allow much freedom in panning horizontally so practice pivoting on one leg or the other of the sticks (Blaser quad sticks allow for easier horizontal movement as the front V is able to pivot)

Vertical adjustment is just a case of rocking forward or drawing back to raise or lower the muzzle (not so with a tripod though)

Foot, leg and body placement is key, as is ensuring the sticks are the right length for your height

That said - ease of use is inversely proportional to stability

Single stick easiest, and least stable
Double (e.g. trigger sticks) more stability
Tripod - setting them up is a bit more time consuming and can be awkward on sloping or stony ground
Quads - Very stable but require a bit of practice to deploy quickly (Though I find them easier than a tripod and no harder to use than doubles)

Quads and your back against a tree provides rock solid stability (not a knob thorn though :giggle: )

They can be noisy (in wind) and they are an extra bit of kit to carry, however I will often use them as a walking stick in my non carry hand

Last edited:
Did something similar to my quad sticks. I prefer to actually hold the forend and rest the back of my hand on the rest. It allows quite a bit of tracking of movement before I might need to mess with the sticks, along with complete control for a quick follow up shot. With the "5th" leg, they can also be used very quickly as a simple tripod for a shot, or to hang gear from. I've found these quad sticks to be as solid as a bench; and a lot easier to carry with me.

View attachment 527132
View attachment 527131
Yeah I’m sure, we’ll it would be easier to carry than the bench!

View attachment 527132
View attachment 527131
enjoy carrying that around in the bush in africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichellPie

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]