Shooting from sticks

I've had a Bog-Pod Tripod shooting stick for years and it's a good piece of kit. The benefit to the Bod-Pod style sticks is that they are collapsible and you can easily bring them to Africa, they can also be used from the sitting or kneeling position. However, If I didn't own the Bog-Pod I would make my own, three 7ft long thumb thick saplings, 4ft of #36 bank line, and a tripod lash. In less than an hour, for $4 or less, you can make a set of shooting sticks that will last you a lifetime. If you want to get fancy you can whip the end of the two sticks that contact your rifle with bank line protecting the delicate woodwork on your rifle. Whatever you decide to do I strongly recommend you get some shooting sticks and practice, practice, practice.

I had never shot using sticks until I went to Africa. Also had a hard time practicing here in Texas since the public range I use doesn't permit shooting from sticks. I got to practice on ranch property owned by friends and it made a big difference when I got to Africa as the PH would almost always put up the sticks for the first shot. Having said that, in four trips to Africa, I have made almost every kind of shot including off-hand standing, kneeling, bracing against a tree, using the PH's shoulder when both of us were kneeling, etc.
So, practice all of the possible shots you might encounter.
I will add that the advantage of sticks like the BOGPOD brand is that they are lightweight and they collapse into a small package, so easy to pack.

We used to make MArtha Stewart shooting sticks. Bamboo planting stakes from the local hardware store banded with a small vacuum belt. Pad the tops as you see fit. About 8$.

I usually carry some sort of sticks while hunting at home, and they have helped a lot when the brush is too high or the ground too muddy or snowy to lay prone, sit or kneel properly. Home made bamboo tripod or commercial aluminum folding bipod on my belt. The best practise I have experienced is shooting ground squirrels at all distances off sticks. If such high volume shooting is available (or rabbits, crows etc.) it will soon teach you the value of sticks as a quick effective rest.

Shooting off sticks in SA is critical , most of my rifle shooting at the range is off my sticks .

I use the Primos Jim Shockey Edition tripod sticks. I can use them sitting down when I am calling coyotes, use standing up or anywhere in between. I also use them to mount my spotting scope and they are great for steadying my binoculars as well.
They are a very useful tool for sure.

Decent sticks . A little wobbly . Good for sitting ambush style whitetail/ elk .
For standing shots the quad sticks , blow them away.
Rudolph sticks made in SA CAN BE HAD FOR 125 bucks . Go to website to order out of Texas . Two types , get the set with wide front for horizontal movement.
I bought a set of vipers in carbon for 380 and Rudolph just as good

Buy the African Sporting Creations Shooting Sticks and be done with it. They start at $200 ($240 all in with a sweet case) and are excellent. While I've made plenty of shots without sticks, there's no doubt that more support is always better. It takes some practice to get the feel for them, but once you do, you'll realize why they're such an asset standing, kneeling, sitting etc. Been hunting in plenty of open fields with waist high grass and not a tree in sight to brace against. The PHs have always been happy when friends and I are good to go off sticks as soon as they put them up. Additionally, Jim at ASC is a great guy to work with. Good kit that's built to last.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.50 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.52 AM.png
    802.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.54 AM.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 8.50.56 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 78
Buy the African Sporting Creations Shooting Sticks and be done with it. They start at $200 ($240 all in with a sweet case) and are excellent. While I've made plenty of shots without sticks, there's no doubt that more support is always better. It takes some practice to get the feel for them, but once you do, you'll realize why they're such an asset standing, kneeling, sitting etc. Been hunting in plenty of open fields with waist high grass and not a tree in sight to brace against. The PHs have always been happy when friends and I are good to go off sticks as soon as they put them up. Additionally, Jim at ASC is a great guy to work with. Good kit that's built to last.

Tango,

thank you for your testimonial!

jim

I something no one mentioned is that shooting sticks make sighting in big bores more enjoyable. I avoid the bench with my Lott- but use my camera tripod at the range.i just put a foam pad on top. The camera tripods are heavier and more sturdy so great for the range but maybe not so good to carry.

I think you are overlooking the incredible value of a quad stick which provide a much more stable shot . If you are going to take a standing shot quad sticks are much better not to mention almost half the price.

No, I'm not overlooking it and I'm sure that's a fine choice as well. My point was that the ASC sticks are a simple, reliable and aesthetically pleasing solution that's well-tested/proven on hunts and offered by a company dedicated to supplying quality gear to African hunters.

Please forgive me if I sound like a dummy here.
Reading about going on safari and one of the things that popped up was getting used to and practising shooting from sticks. I know what it is but it isn't something that hunters in NZ do that much. Our topography and style of hunting doesn't usually allow carrying sticks about.
Not a lot around to try either for probably much the same reason.
Whats the go in this situation? Make your own or just not worth the pain?
I agree with what most of the guys are saying here... wherever you hunt in Africa you'll end up in unfamiliar terrain and circumstances, if you have done some practicing with a pair of sticks, it will be just one less thing to try and get used to. You'll pick it up quickly and it's really not that hard, but getting on the sticks quickly and comfortably will definitely increase your confidence in your shot. It's also not a matter of distance, it is supposed to be an aid for you and the shot your are planning to make.

Decent sticks . A little wobbly . Good for sitting ambush style whitetail/ elk .
For standing shots the quad sticks , blow them away.
Rudolph sticks made in SA CAN BE HAD FOR 125 bucks . Go to website to order out of Texas . Two types , get the set with wide front for horizontal movement.
I bought a set of vipers in carbon for 380 and Rudolph just as good
Been trying to get in touch with Rudolph for weeks with no response. In the past 3 weeks I've left several voicemails and sent 2 emails with no response. Their phone goes directly to voicemail.

This may no longer be an affordable option for quad sticks.

Please forgive me if I sound like a dummy here.
Reading about going on safari and one of the things that popped up was getting used to and practising shooting from sticks. I know what it is but it isn't something that hunters in NZ do that much. Our topography and style of hunting doesn't usually allow carrying sticks about.
Not a lot around to try either for probably much the same reason.
Whats the go in this situation? Make your own or just not worth the pain?
My video on sticks:
Blaser sticks review

Been trying to get in touch with Rudolph for weeks with no response. In the past 3 weeks I've left several voicemails and sent 2 emails with no response. Their phone goes directly to voicemail.

This may no longer be an affordable option for quad sticks.

Gunstix look to be a good alternative at fair price. Sorry about Rudolph . I bought 2 sets very easily.

I made a cheap set of tripod sticks with 3/4 inch dowels but if you wanna get serious, get quad sticks. I have 4 stable sticks but I think viper sticks are the same basic design. Shot a two inch group last night with my 30.06 at 100 yards. I'm good for about a 4 inch group with a tripod.

Interesting comments about the quad sticks. I can certainly see how stable they are but way less maneuverable than a bi or tripod. Sort of goes against the idea of a quick set up stick for me as a noob to the idea.

hi
All of the above is fine. Get a set of Quad sticks, they will fit into your rifle case.
They are available on the net, in the UK the available from £100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]