Scopes for Plains Game

Respectfully I have to disagree. I totally understand better glass, but I see absolutely no need for anything above 9x for a big game rifle. The 3x9 (as far as magnification) is still nearly perfect for the job. The VX5 2-10 would have my interest.
OP I would just go hunting.

I think it really depends on the scenario. If you're trying to kill an elk you've been bugling/calling all day from a ridge top 400-500, or more, yards away...yes. Being OP said he's had a great track record with it hunting elk and other NA game, stay put like you said. I tend to agree with you unless it's a really, really skilled shooter. I actually have a VX5HD 3-15 44mm on my 300WM and right now, the scope/rifle far outmatch my abilities as a shooter. It will work fine for RSA in May and I'm hoping to grow into it. The other factor is how long of a shot will you really get in Africa? Maybe in the Kalahari a long 300-500 yd shot? Once again, completely agree with you.

In the end, you're right. Military marksmen/snipers make kills at 500 yds+ with a fixed power scope in 6x like a Schmidt and Bender or Leupold.

I think in this case, OP switching out a perfectly suitable scope for something bigger/more mag/more expensive doesn't make sense. For someone really at that point of stretching the limits in an area with longer shots, maybe something like 3-15x is a better consideration.

Just my humble opinion.

You will hear less and less about Nikon scope over time because they stopped making rifle scopes. Damned shame, sine I thought they were a good value.

Plus one on the zebra!

Such good glass for the money. Really is a shame they no longer are in the market.

I think the OP is looking for advice on which is a better investment. Is it better to spend a couple of grand on a new scope, or hunt with the Nikon he has, and put the money to trophy fees. Of course, if he can do both, more power to him! However, if he’s like most of us, there’s a limit in how much money we have to spend on stuff and trips. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with the Nikon and spend the difference on another trophy fee. It’s really the memories that matter. I remember every trophy animal I’ve ever harvested, and in great detail, the circumstances around the hunt. So I say, spend the money on a zebra or a waterbuck, or whatever pleases him most.

The rig the OP has been using will serve him well in Africa as it has in North America. To hunt more than two species on a single hunt in North America would be more of an exception than the rule. Generally speaking most hunts in southern Africa should be a bit different.

A scope with a wider field of view on the bottom end along with higher magnification on the top can have its advantages over a 3-9 power scope.

When your PH ask you to do him a favor and shut up that barking baboon or roll that jackal way the hell out there, be ready to do so. You may find yourself in a blind at sundown which for sure will make you think about the qualities of the optics you are using.

One of the beauties of Africa is that every day can bring the unexpected.

Thanks everyone on the input. For clarification I was trying to decide if I needed a new scope in place of a trophy fee. Think it’s safe to say that the Nikon will stay put. It’s done well in its life. Elk at 20 yards and elk at 400 yards have all died. The rig I’m taking is well loved. I glass bedded it myself and installed a timney trigger but it’s otherwise stock. For years it was my meat gun. Just old reliable and I always reached for it when something just had to be killed. I’m gonna use that $$$$ for another critter.
92251D60-6709-4A97-B73C-05F91731963D.jpeg

I think you’re fine. IMO, unless you anticipate shooting at longer distances or target smaller animals at longer ranges, the 3-9x should be fine. Just use the extra $$$ for another trophy fee.
If you do decide to upgrade, the Leupold VX5, as @Philip Glass suggested, would be a good choice. Firedot illuminated reticle and Leupold’s CDS range compensation system. I just mounted a 2-10x version on a .300 Wby Blaser barrel.

@Elkeater: You have a nice, classic rig there, and you know it through field experience. Knowledge of a rig through field experience is priceless. Go hunting and have a great time. Looking forward to your trip report.

Safe hunting

If you're getting older and your eyesight is starting to fade, then it might be worth investing in an upgraded scope to make things easier on yourself; otherwise, what you already have is certainly capable, as others have already said. And btw, that's a great looking rig; and I wouldn't change a thing.

If you're like the rest of us who spend far too much time on this forum, it's easy to get shiny object fixation from looking at everyone else's toys; but the psychological reality is, that's just another form of boredom with the more-than-sufficient toys we've already got.

Go hunt!

I don’t have any scopes stronger than 10x. I could probably count on one hand the animals I have shot with a scope off of its lowest power. It seems I am always close, don’t have time to be playing with a scope, don’t really notice it’s on low power, or don’t want to magnify how bad I am wobbling. :LOL:

Safe shooting

It might be good to have another scope as backup during the trip! Sighted in and ready to replace old faithful if something should happen to it...just sayin'

I have plenty 30x scopes; however my favorite scopes for Africa are a 3.5x10 Kahles and S&B Exos 1-8. Yours fits right in between the two. Good to go IMHO.

I hunted the Kalahari in RSA, our average shot was a bit over 200 yards with the longest being 259. I used a Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 and leave it set on 6x all the time.

3-9 is a good option for PG, my scopes are usually set on 3 or 4 and don’t often move from there. What region will you be hunting? I’ve hunted Limpopo (northern region) twice and most shots are under 100 yards, my longest was 200. To me 9x is plenty out to 500-600 for big game. Nothing wrong with Nikon - you have a great setup - enjoy your hunt!

3-9 is a good option for PG, my scopes are usually set on 3 or 4 and don’t often move from there. What region will you be hunting? I’ve hunted Limpopo (northern region) twice and most shots are under 100 yards, my longest was 200. To me 9x is plenty out to 500-600 for big game. Nothing wrong with Nikon - you have a great setup - enjoy your hunt!
I usually leave mine set on 3x. I’ll dial it up to 9x and have used it out to 600 yards on targets without a problem. We are hunting Limpopo outside of Mokopane. Think that’s the nearest town anyway.

I usually leave mine set on 3x. I’ll dial it up to 9x and have used it out to 600 yards on targets without a problem. We are hunting Limpopo outside of Mokopane. Think that’s the nearest town anyway.
Yes - I’ve hunted a few places near there. What month are you going?

If it’s reliable and you are comfortable with it, then there is little a new scope will offer you. Stop stressing. Plains game hunting is not particularly demanding when it comes to guns, equipment, and clothing.

I know we spend tons of time talking about all this stuff, but you could literally swing by Walmart and tractor supply on your way to the airport and buy everything you need.

Unless you just want to buy some new stuff, then by all means go ahead. You won’t find me discouraging the purchase of guns and ammo.

If it’s reliable and you are comfortable with it, then there is little a new scope will offer you. Stop stressing. Plains game hunting is not particularly demanding when it comes to guns, equipment, and clothing.

I know we spend tons of time talking about all this stuff, but you could literally swing by Walmart and tractor supply on your way to the airport and buy everything you need.

Unless you just want to buy some new stuff, then by all means go ahead. You won’t find me discouraging the purchase of guns and ammo.
I prefer Cal Ranch over Tractor Supply.

True this! I am leaving for a plains/DG hunt in a couple weeks and I have hit up a couple Goodwill (thrift) stores for some additional clothes. The trackers are always appreciative, and I leave most of my stuff behind.

Dang it. Tried to quote sureshot375. Must’ve double tapped the quote. Either I fail technology, or technology fails me.

I used low end scopes for years until a last year when I received a nightforce on a rifle that I traded into.... You will never go back

I now have NF, Zeiss or Leicas on all my rifles. Very expensive but totally worth it imo.

Cant comment on your trip since my first time in Africa will be in the eastern cape of SA this May. I am bringing a Sako S20 .300wm with a Leica Amplus 3-18x. I will let you know how it goes for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChuWnz1204

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]