Scope for Win70 in 375

Some casual sleuthing says that you are essentially correct, with some exceptions I'm sure. Given the same objective lens, the wider FOV will have a shorter eye relief and vice versa.
More Eye Relief ALWAYS = narrower field of view….that’s the trade off UNless technology recently changed???

Adding a 3/4" chunk of wood on the end of the butt would be more unsightly in my opinion.
Mine too. There are black plastic spacers available in 1/8 thru 1/2 inch thickness. I'll use one of those, plus a thicker decellerator pad. I can "get by" with an extra 1/4 inch, so I think I'll shoot for 1/2 inch extra length. Every rifle is different. I'm the unusual shooter who can shoot a Euro style stock with a scope, no issues, so ya just work with what ya got.

More Eye Relief ALWAYS = narrower field of view….that’s the trade off UNless technology recently changed???
Push back a 1" scope to get more eye relief, and yes field of view narrows. But changing to a 33" diameter scope compensates for the loss of field of vision at the same pushed back distance.

Winchester uses a 1" pad. So keeping with the Decellerator, it looks like a spacer to get the increased LOP. I'll go with half inch but test it before I fit it. Need be I can add another quarter inch

Winchester uses a 1" pad. So keeping with the Decellerator, it looks like a spacer to get the increased LOP. I'll go with half inch but test it before I fit it. Need be I can add another quarter inch
Decelerator are available in 1". Both Pachmayer pads on my 30-06 and 404J are 1". A slipon Decelerator would add an additional 1.25" to your Wichester pad. You might want to try that and see how it fits you.

Push back a 1" scope to get more eye relief, and yes field of view narrows. But changing to a 33" diameter scope compensates for the loss of field of vision at the same pushed back distance.
@Ontario Hunter - I’m Not following you on this?? do you mean a 33mm objective lens or 30mm tube adds FOV or eye relief? From what I’ve noticed whenever reading the “specs” on a scope (and I’ve also read about this) the scopes with longer eye relief always have a narrower FOV….it seems to be almost an “accepted Fact“ —- and I only make that statement because I’ve read about this for so many years that I’ve Never questioned it’s accuracy. So, If 30mm Tubes eliminate that dilemma then they would seem to solve a long standing problem

@Ontario Hunter - I’m Not following you on this?? do you mean a 33mm objective lens or 30mm tube adds FOV or eye relief? From what I’ve noticed whenever reading the “specs” on a scope (and I’ve also read about this) the scopes with longer eye relief always have a narrower FOV….it seems to be almost an “accepted Fact“ —- and I only make that statement because I’ve read about this for so many years that I’ve Never questioned it’s accuracy. So, If 30mm Tubes eliminate that dilemma then they would seem to solve a long standing problem
Typo. 30mm tube. No objective bell. Sorry for the confusion. The field of view difference between my new 30mm Bushnell and my old 1" Weaver is quite different as is the eye relief. The old Weaver was ~3" and Bushnell gives more than an inch increased eye relief. Now, having said that I gave the Weaver to my son-in-law to use on his Ruger Scout 308 so no longer can check my casual observation for accuracy. I do know at 1x this Bushnell does have an impressive field of view. Don't the manufacturers publish the stats somewhere? I imagine all things being equal - i.e. same scope tube diameter, magnification, objective lens diameter - moving the scope further from the eye would reduce the field of view. Seems logical that increasing tube diameter and reducing magnification would compensate for field of view changes from increasing eye relief.

With the old Weaver 3x setup on my 404J for quick acquisition of  full field of view, it took a piece of meat from my brow. I moved the scope forward and lost full field of view when quick mounting the gun. I could regain it pushing my shoulder into the stock and stretching my neck. This fixed brow beating but fast acquisition is lost. Not desirable for a dangerous game rifle. I suppose if I practiced enough, the Weaver might come up okay but I would prefer to mount that gun the same as my skeet/bird shotgun, which is the gun I shoot most. Swinging freely and naturally on a charging buffalo is paramount. Getting knocked out with my gun is not a desirable option.

Last edited:
I'm not planning on hunting dangerous game. But neither am I keen to slip on pads. I've had poor results with those in the past.
I couldn't find my jig so I'll have to make another one. Heck, I made the first one! Mine is made from hardwood, and I think I have a few scraps of red oak to do that with. I'll order up a 1/2-in spacer and a replacement pad, super glue them together and fit them to the stock. It's more trouble to make the jig than doing the fitting. I might need longer screws too... Won't know until I get the old pad off.

And although he's a good business man, Larry Potterfield is no gunsmith. I love the part about him using some liquid soap as a lubricant on the screws. Let me tell you fellas that liquid soap will rust out a screw in no time flat and humid weather. Nice soft beeswax does a much better job, and it won't rust. I know that soap has been suggested and I think it's a part of lore that gets passed down and even used, but I've had to correct screws that have rusted out on customers rifles. I used to take a little piece of stainless steel tubing just fatter than the screw, cut some fresh notches in the end of it, and use it to bore around the shank of the screw. Then you can drill the resulting hole to size and glue in a hardwood dowel.

I'm not planning on hunting dangerous game. But neither am I keen to slip on pads. I've had poor results with those in the past.
I couldn't find my jig so I'll have to make another one. Heck, I made the first one! Mine is made from hardwood, and I think I have a few scraps of red oak to do that with. I'll order up a 1/2-in spacer and a replacement pad, super glue them together and fit them to the stock. It's more trouble to make the jig than doing the fitting. I might need longer screws too... Won't know until I get the old pad off.

And although he's a good business man, Larry Potterfield is no gunsmith. I love the part about him using some liquid soap as a lubricant on the screws. Let me tell you fellas that liquid soap will rust out a screw in no time flat and humid weather. Nice soft beeswax does a much better job, and it won't rust. I know that soap has been suggested and I think it's a part of lore that gets passed down and even used, but I've had to correct screws that have rusted out on customers rifles. I used to take a little piece of stainless steel tubing just fatter than the screw, cut some fresh notches in the end of it, and use it to bore around the shank of the screw. Then you can drill the resulting hole to size and glue in a hardwood dowel.
Off topic, but I remember watching a Larry Potterfield video about cutting a chamber in a barrel blank. I just kept thinking "sure, because what everyone has laying around at home is all this specialized machinery and tools". Like, my dude, show it to demo the process but don't act like someone watching should really be doing that work themselves.

Off topic, but I remember watching a Larry Potterfield video about cutting a chamber in a barrel blank. I just kept thinking "sure, because what everyone has laying around at home is all this specialized machinery and tools". Like, my dude, show it to demo the process but don't act like someone watching should really be doing that work themselves.
Yeah, I watched Potterfield's video on how to put a reinforcement rod into the wrist of a stock. Okay, am I able to freehand guide a wobbly very long shaft drill into the stock and keep it from wandering? Maybe Superman could do it. I've done enough woodwork to know how risky that would be. I built a jig to guide the drill.
17122000097664993629222487861060.jpg

I was only advising slip-on recoil pad to test for LOP before committing to lengthening the stock. My shotgun wears a slipon because it provides the option to change LOP as conditions dictate. Perfect fit is very important for shooting at moving targets. Not so much for shooting at paper targets or standing animals. For those situations the shooter typically has time to make himself fit the gun. When I'm bird hunting in shirtsleeves or light jacket, my shotgun wears the slipon. Otherwise I'm looking up the barrel when the gun is mounted quickly. Then late in the season when I'm wearing three layers, I peel the slipon off to shorten LOP.

You're not hunting dangerous game so perfect fit is not as essential ... unless you wish to achieve some proficiency shooting at running animals. But most rifle hunters are not keen on shooting at running game.

I was only advising slip-on recoil pad to test for LOP before committing to lengthening the stock.....

You're not hunting dangerous game so perfect fit is not as essential ...
I got you. I used a stack of paper, a suitably sized notepad to gauge the minimum I would need. That minimum is one quarter inch. 1/2 in would be better. I may stop there because 3/4 in may be somewhat hard to deal with.
Dangerous game or not, I'd like to strive for perfection. I might not make it but it's a worthy goal.

I got you. I used a stack of paper, a suitably sized notepad to gauge the minimum I would need. That minimum is one quarter inch. 1/2 in would be better. I may stop there because 3/4 in may be somewhat hard to deal with.
Dangerous game or not, I'd like to strive for perfection. I might not make it but it's a worthy goal.
Okay. I presume you understand you won't be able to reuse the old recoil pad if you're adding something to the stock length. Might think about the repro Winchester pads on that sight I mentioned above. They look pretty good and prices seem okay. Pachmayer pads come with ridiculously long screws. I twisted one off installing a pad. What a hassle working around that! I strongly advise replacing their Phillips head screws with shorter torques head screws or Robertson head (square socket). Phillips head screws are worse than slotted in my book and I have no use for slotted head screws.

Is your stock walnut or synthetic?

I think the plan is going to be to get the same pad, which is 1". Same, but new, Pachmayr Decellerator. Holes will all line up.

And its walnut. If the screws in the stock are what I think they are (stupid long), that'll be a plus, since for a half inch extension, they'll only be dullard long.:giggle:

Yeah, I watched Potterfield's video on how to put a reinforcement rod into the wrist of a stock. Okay, am I able to freehand guide a wobbly very long shaft drill into the stock and keep it from wandering? Maybe Superman could do it. I've done enough woodwork to know how risky that would be. I built a jig to guide the drill.View attachment 614317

Maybe I'm just plain ol school dumb, but it seems like drilling to exit by the grip cap (when present) would be a good solution, assuming the cap is removed _prior_ to drilling.

I think the ideal metal might be something like a mold ejector pin. Tough stuff.

Maybe I'm just plain ol school dumb, but it seems like drilling to exit by the grip cap (when present) would be a good solution, assuming the cap is removed _prior_ to drilling.

I think the ideal metal might be something like a mold ejector pin. Tough stuff.
Everyone puts the pin in from the top. Perhaps it would weaken the stock too much to drill the wrist top to bottom. There's likely more force recoiled into the top tang as it is directly in line with receiver and barrel. Potterfield and others use 1/4" threaded rod. I was not comfortable removing that much wood so went with 3/16" stainless rod that I roughed up before gluing it in place with JB Weld.

I took a moment to remove the pad from the Safari Express stock. Pachmayr 752B, which is the "Old English" Decelerator pad. It has 3.125" hole spacing, 1" thickness, and its ground size where it meets the stock is 1.75" x 5.187. Naturally larger at the heel and toe. This would require size "large" in Pachmayr's way of thinking.

An exact replacement (unground of course) is $29.99 at MidwayUSA.

A Kick Eez 1/2 spacer is 5-7/8 x 2-1/4 (ginormous!), but a staggering $9.99

BACO used 1-1/4 #10 stainless wood screws, with Philips head, so my needs will call for 1-3/4 (or 2" most likely).

I'll get the pad and spacer on order pronto. Gotta think about the jig a little, no big deal.

Just a little update: Pad arrived, spacer arrived. Jig FOUND!!!!!
I put the spacer between the existing pad and stock to try for length. Perfection.
That's the good news. Bad news is not that bad. Gotta flatten the pad, it meanders about by .020 or so. I doubt I'll be able to get it to lay flat on the spacer without some help, so a quick pass on the belt sander should fix that. And the (insert expletive) screws that hold the pad to the see-saw of the jig are no place to be found. So, I have those inbound.

I've got some black cyano-glue here, really good stuff. That'll join the spacer to the new pad prior to grinding it to shape. I once rebuilt (if that's what ya wanna call it) some oddball size pickup surrounds on a Guild S-100 guitar with the black glue. The old phenolic plastic was crumbling in spots, and new rings were impossible to obtain. Darn near invisible patches.

I'm kind of happy I found my jig, haven't seen it in... gosh... since the late 1990s probably. Happy too that the length worked out ok. The Freedom 1.5x4 will be just fine for me. If I shoot a feral pig, the pig will not complain that I didn't have a $1k scope on the rifle. Should I get out west, we can zero in, and pack along a 2nd scope, a 3x9 or what have you.

I also found my little glass tube level. Darn nice item to have around. Action being leveled, and scope being leveled, easy peasy.

And finally, the end of the saga, for this rifle at least.

20240630_161010.jpg

While not thrilled, I am happy with the way it turned out. Haven't fit a pad in... oh... since about '95 or so. Nearly 30 years.

What I am thrilled about is the "right there" image through the scope. Set to 1.5x (or 4x for that matter), I lift to my shoulder, and presto, I'm looking thru the scope dead nuts centered and with proper eye relief for that scope. Since the better half is out, I actually went about "trying/practicing/evaluating" the rifle by snapping it to shoulder after picking a dangerous flower, or charging lizard out in the back garden. Very happy in that regard.

Now its time to shoot it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BookerReno

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles