Scope for Win70 in 375

Theres not a lot of choice for those looking for a 1" tube though....

I got this GPO spectra on my mod 70 classic super express in .375 I got no complaints so far :)
I have a GPO Spectra 1.5-9x32 that so far I have been pleasantly surprised with across the board. The eye relief is every bit the advertised 4 inches.

I installed a Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8 on my 376 M70 and couldn't be happier with it. It has worked great on Texas pigs and plains game form 30 yards to 160 yards. I have been able to hit a torso sized steel plate at 500 yards yards using a 260gr Partition. it is a trim and lightweight scope that has a useful low power and enough magnification for some range.

I am torn between a 1-5 or a 2-8 for versatility.
Best of both worlds…Swaro Z8i 1-8x24. Of course, everything at a price.

My alternate picks would be the Trijicon and Schmidt & Bender with 1-6x24 and mounted in QD rings.

Best of both worlds…Swaro Z8i 1-8x24. Of course, everything at a price.

My alternate picks would be the Trijicon and Schmidt & Bender with 1-6x24 and mounted in QD rings.
I'd love to have a Swaro or similar. Especially with 1 or 1.5 x on the low end and 8 or 10 on the high end for versatility. Not in my money cards yet.

Some of these fancy scopes ... should come equipped with a defibrillator in case hunter falls and bangs it up. I just cannot justify spending that kind of money for a tool I intend to use hard. But I guess for some folks hunting is not supposed to be hard. Personally, I don't enjoy hunting unless it's challenging.

Some of these fancy scopes ... should come equipped with a defibrillator in case hunter falls and bangs it up. I just cannot justify spending that kind of money for a tool I intend to use hard. But I guess for some folks hunting is not supposed to be hard. Personally, I don't enjoy hunting unless it's challenging.
Excuse me while I get some popcorn to watch the replies to this one!

I'm sure many of the guys with $2k+ scopes also hunt hard. And I'm sure those scope are durable. But I suspect the criteria are usually: good enough durability, plus exceptional glass and features such as illumination. And some do get the scopes that are apparently pretty much bomb proof, such as Nightforce, Trijicon and S&B.

But I agree with you that some affordable scopes are good enough: lower end Leupolds, Nikon Monarch, and Bushnell Elite. Not as effective for picking out the crease in a buffalo's skin from 50 yards, in deep shade, etc. But good enough for most hunting. And no need to engage in breathing techniques to recover your composure if you drop the rifle on rocks.

No talk of the Monarch 2.5-10?
That would be an excellent choice if it fits. I had one once, before I knew about extended bases/mounts, and upon taking it home I realized it wouldn't fit my Model 70 Safari. I returned it without ever mounting it. But I agree it's an excellent choice. Very good glass clarity for the money (I think better than VX-2 or Freedom), and good eye relief.

Do you buy a majority of your tools at Harbor Freight? :)

Nailed it. Spend as much on the optic as the gun. You’re sol if the scope fails, equally SOL if it fogs or lacks clarity.

You can buy a used premium scope for the same price as most of the cheap Chinese and entry level Leupolds suggested on this site.

Some people just work hard to make their own bad luck.

I have bought several of my premium scopes and binoculars used or on sale as demos.

Also the service with some premium optics has been incredible.

I did drop a Swarovski scope and managed to crack the objective lens. Swarovski sent me a new one.

I used a pair of Swarovski 8x30s binoculars for 20 years, had some wear and tear issues. Swarovski sent me a new one.

I use less expensive scopes too, but honestly you generally get what you pay for.

Scopes on my dangerous game rifles:

375 H&H has a 1.7-10 x42 Meopta with illuminated 4 reticle

416 Rem has 1-6 Trijicon with the green triangle post with dual illumination.

470 Double rifle had a Trijicon RMR

So far all have held zero perfectly despite some pretty serious field use.

If someone else want to build a rifle in their garage from a parts bin and put a discount scope from ebay on it, I could care less. But I like what I have for my purposes.

Had no issues finding a charging bull buffalo at close range with the Trijicon 1-6. That certainly boosted my confidence on my next buffalo encounter.

I have only killed hogs with the 375.

The double has killed lion and buffao.

The 416 has been used on kudu,zebra and buffalo.

Your mileage may vary.

Nailed it. Spend as much on the optic as the gun. You’re sol if the scope fails, equally SOL if it fogs or lacks clarity.

You can buy a used premium scope for the same price as most of the cheap Chinese and entry level Leupolds suggested on this site.

Some people just work hard to make their own bad luck.
This cheap Weaver K3 + Weaver rings and bases served me very well through more than 40 years of extremely hard hunting on a WWII Springfield, including end over end down the mountain on my horse. I'd probably have kept it in service on the 404 I built last year but not enough eye relief and I've only got one eye remaining that's usable.
20231019_114147.jpg

20230722_081141.jpg

Some folks can be easily convinced gold plated dog shit smells better. Maybe it does. But at the end of the day it's still just dog shit. Sticks to my boot the same as the ugly brown stuff.

Last edited:
I hear you , my optical vice is Steiner binoculars and a vintage leupold 2-8 compact on my 375Ruger, otherwise it’s Burris scopes , I just can’t justify spending $1700-$2000 for a new aluminum tube Swarovski, it’s a P.T Barnham thing with some of these new scopes . ( sheep & pronghorn hunting imo requires good binoculars and spotter)

Scopes on my dangerous game rifles:

375 H&H has a 1.7-10 x42 Meopta with illuminated 4 reticle

416 Rem has 1-6 Trijicon with the green triangle post with dual illumination.

470 Double rifle had a Trijicon RMR

So far all have held zero perfectly despite some pretty serious field use.

If someone else want to build a rifle in their garage from a parts bin and put a discount scope from ebay on it, I could care less. But I like what I have for my purposes.

Had no issues finding a charging bull buffalo at close range with the Trijicon 1-6. That certainly boosted my confidence on my next buffalo encounter.

I have only killed hogs with the 375.

The double has killed lion and buffao.

The 416 has been used on kudu,zebra and buffalo.

Your mileage may vary.
I'll have you know I built that rifle in my laundry room, not the garage. Get it right!
17122000097664993629222487861060.jpg

I had a vx3 1.5-5 and swapped to a vx5 2-10. I lost nothing on the low power but gained a lot in the clarity and extra power to 10x. I’ve taken several animals out to 300+ yards using the 375 as a one gun safari and don’t agree with strictly using a low power scope on 375 anymore.

There is a slightly used one still for sale on AH. There isn’t a better seller to buy from.
I concur with @375Fox, for years I ran a 1.5x5 Leupold, now I have a VX5 in 2x10 on my .375H&H. Over the past couple of hunts I have taken shots on hartebeest out at 200 yards and I was thankful for the 10x magnification. Then again, I am 62 and do not see as well as when I was 32. Leupold also has a VX3 in 2.5x8.

I've been shooting firearms since I was.... I dunno, maybe 9 years old. Serious pellet guns another year or more before that. My first rifle - one that was noted as "mine", not my Dad's was a Marlin .22 bolt rifle, and it had a Marlin 2x7 scope on it. After that I've had a variety of Weaver, Redfield, Nikon, Bushnell and even a Tasco or two, and one lone Zeiss. The only one's that gave me grief were a used Weaver and used Redfield. Even the Tasco's held up to a bunch of shooting. They all went by the wayside years ago, me mostly just shooing shotgun and irons.
Not to say anything bad about any individual in particular, on things like scopes I've really never had a lick of trouble with a new one, but most of the used one's were ok too. That Redfield "wide" 3x9 just couldn't be sealed up well. And the used Weaver got tossed in the dumpster.
Wow, I never knew that. So if I bought an $800 Remington, an $800 scope would be fine, but it would be a no-go on my $1500 Winchester. That makes sense, I actually get it.

Sorry. I don’t think that Harbor Freight is in Canada. Point made—Is that a Mastercraft drill (i.e. the Harbor Freight of Canada)? :)

There is nothing wrong with being frugal. I just don’t understand why you would assert someone is doing it the easy way by having quality equipment.

With airfare, trophy fees, and animals that can kill you etc., I would much rather have the best quality components with me for the task at hand.

IMG_7666.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. I don’t think that Harbor Freight is in Canada. Point made—Is that a Mastercraft drill (i.e. the Harbor Freight of Canada)? :)

There is nothing wrong with being frugal. I just don’t understand why you would assert someone is doing it the easy way by having quality equipment.

With airfare, trophy fees, and animals that can kill you etc., I would much rather have the best quality components with me for the task at hand.
Mastercraft yes, but I didn't buy that corded drill at Canadian Tire. Pawnshop goods. I'm not sure a brand new Rigid cordless would have done a better job putting the hole in that stock for reinforcement rod. Same pawnshop sold me a dandy Rigid power saw for $40 and a like new Milwaukee plunge router for $60. Second hand store on the other side of town yielded a heavy duty Delta radial arm saw on a great old stand @ $75. And my dad willed me his 1950s Shopsmith. Can't beat that price! I did buy a brand new Rigid contractor table saw at Home Depot after cutting off the end of my thumb with a crappy old junker. My wife made me do it. She came home from work to find the police in the garage looking for meat while I was driving (pickup with stick shift) to the hospital. I had told our fifteen year-old daughter to find the piece of thumb and send it to the ER in a cab but she didn't have the stomach for it I guess. Wife said get a new saw or a divorce lawyer. Well, okay. If you insist. I was happy to let her blame the saw instead of me ... but it was my fault. You can drive down the wrong side of the freeway in a Rolls Royce and get killed just as dead if you were in a Kia.

They are hard to find but the Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x30 with standard turrets is the best all around DG scope in my opinion…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonGlass

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex