Scope for Win70 in 375

Swamptrudger

AH senior member
Reaction score
I'd like to take a moment to bounce my thoughts off the collective brain trust here....

Got a Model 70, cal .375H&H. Was thinkin' about an optic, and my thoughts seem to be settling on a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5x4x20

I can't currently imagine taking a shot more than 200-250 yards. My thought was to keep the magnification low for the closer shooting most likely, and to put the scope on Talley quick detachable rings/mount just in case I need to revert to irons.

Quite honestly.... I may shoot irons most of the time, so I'm not wanting to sink a huge amount into an optic, even considered a fixed magnification red dot.

Open to all thoughts on this.

I got this GPO spectra on my mod 70 classic super express in .375 I got no complaints so far :)

IMG_9550.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Leupold 1.5-4.5 on lever action carbine and it works fine.

My M70 in 375 had a Meopta 1.7-10 because I wanted illumination and the increased magnification for longer shots at smaller plains game. Makes a 375 pretty versatile.

Yah.....I thought illuminated and greater magnification. A Burris came to mind, but they're made I dunno know where

I had a vx3 1.5-5 and swapped to a vx5 2-10. I lost nothing on the low power but gained a lot in the clarity and extra power to 10x. I’ve taken several animals out to 300+ yards using the 375 as a one gun safari and don’t agree with strictly using a low power scope on 375 anymore.

There is a slightly used one still for sale on AH. There isn’t a better seller to buy from.

On my 9.3 and 375s I use either VX-5s 1.5-5s or 2-10s. If I were to do it all over again they’d all have the Firedot option for low light.

If I wanted a budget option on sale, these would be decent:

Attachments

• Burris Fullfield TAC30 Rifle Scope 1-4x 24mm Illuminated Ballistic CQ.pdf
    527.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Leupold VX-3HD Rifle Scope | MidwayUSA.pdf
    462.2 KB · Views: 22
Oh, you can spend a bunch more, but the Freedom is a solid little scope.

I don't like batteries in my scopes.

I have the trijicon 1-6 accupoint on a M70 in 416 and it’s a great scope. Especially on a dangerous game rifle, I do prefer the 1.7-10 on a 375. Makes a pretty incredible all around set up for plains game plus dangerous game.
Trijicon Accupoint 1x6

I picked up this 30mm tube Bushnell 1-4x with plain Jane duplex reticle for my 404 Mauser. It was very economical. Enough so that if I decide I don't like it, I can resell at a profit. So far I'm impressed. Quick acquisition, clear enough, and lots of eye relief.
20240420_112851.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up this 30mm tube Bushnell 1-4x with plain Jane duplex reticle for my 404 Mauser. It was very economical. Enough so that if I decide I don't like it, I can resell at a profit. So far I'm impressed. Quick acquisition, clear enough, and lots of eye relief.
View attachment 612781
Wow, I never knew Bushnell even made a 30mm scope? Must be a newer model or I'm just out of touch as usual? LOL

View attachment 612781
Man, you must have bought it super cheap. They were on sale at Midway a year or so ago for under $150. Think regular price is $250ish. Let us know how it holds up. Is eye relief greater than 4”? May be a good option for OP.

Man, you must have bought it super cheap. They were on sale at Midway a year or so ago for under $150. Think regular price is $250ish. Let us know how it holds up. Is eye relief greater than 4”? May be a good option for OP.
I first tried to buy one from Midway. Placed my order online with a US card and US address (I still own property in Montana and bank account there that receives my monthly VA disability) but they canceled my order. "We know you're Canadian." So I found same scope from an ebay vendor for thirty bucks less and free shipping. Thank you Larry Potterfield! :D. Those same scopes sell here for $380 Canadian.

Eye relief is advertised at 4-4.5" and seems to be +4" on this rifle. I need extra eye relief because I have Neanderthal brow. The only problem was graphics on instructions were goofed up. I sent it back on warrantee thinking the reticle was frozen when actually turret adjustment was spinning freely. The customer service guy acknowledged it was a screw up on the printed instructions card. Online version was corrected. A bit of a hassle but for that price I won't complain. It was off season so no big deal to wait. Only one trip to the range so far and it seems to be okay. OP needs to be aware that turned down to 1x the barrel and hooded front sight are in the field of view. Common for all low power scopes as I understand it. Disappears at about 3x.

Of the most affordable options mentioned, your idea of the Freedom 1.5-4x20 and Ontario Hunter's Elite 1-4x24, I think both are good choices.

I have tried both and like them, just wanted to upgrade a bit more in optical quality. The Freedom is 6 oz lighter. Optics are comparable, maybe a bit clearer in the Elite. Both have good, long eye relief.

The old Japan made Elites were known for being durable. The current model 4500s are Korean made and Bushnell claims they are good for heavy magnums. Time will tell if they as durable. I think they feel and look pretty darn solid.

You mentioned Talley QD rings. I've only used Warne QDs but both have a good reputation. The Talleys cost a bit more but are apparently more refined in the machining. With Talley you need to use their proprietary bases, whereas Warne bases are Weaver style so you could easily put a standard red dot on as well.

Consider whether you'll want a front extension base or not. I need one to get comfortable eye relief/position, even with a straight tube scope. I don't like how the extension base sticks a little over the loading area in the receiver, but in practice I find it's not a problem for loading.

Thanks for the comments, especially about the clarity and optimal quality, but also about the possible need for offset rings or bases.
I'm kind of long-necked as things go, so I guess we'll just have to see what happens with the positioning of the scope.
I went ahead and hit the go button on the mount and Leupold. I guess we'll see about the clarity as well. I'm not terribly worried about the optic component but I do carry Leica binoculars, so there may be a scope exchange, dunno.

I needed one piece mounts for both my 30-06 Springfield (short tube with bell) and the above Mauser. I could not find extended two piece mount for the Springfield that were low enough. No one makes them. And low Warne QD rings were not low enough. So I found a one piece base with cutout for loading and not too many ugly slots. The Mauser was already tapped for one piece base (three holes instead of four). I obtained same brand base as used for Springfield and it was okay with 1" tube scope but 30mm was a bit too high. Lucked out and found a supplier of old discontinued Weaver one piece Mauser bases that are very low. The loading cutout was shorter and only two ring slots but I don't find it affects anything except possibly cosmetics. The lower setup is definitely advantageous for this thicker 30mm scope. Acquires instantly when I mount the rifle.

Trijicon Accupoint 1x6

This!!!!!

I don't have a Win Mod 70, but I have a AHR CZ-550 in 375 H&H, and that is the scope I have on it, on a set of Alaskan Arms quick release mounts. Don't underestimate the capabilities of the 375 H&H. I shot a beautiful Nyala bull at over 300 yds with Barnes 300 grs TSX ammo.

NYALA.jpg

Used Schmidt & Bender 1-6x42mm. They sell for $2500 new, they hit this site and others with great regularity for $500-$800. Enough light gathering for nocturnal hunts with 375HH, enough clarity to take the occasional 300 yard shot with ease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaNilk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.