• Leupold VX -3i 1.5-5

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Leupold VX -3i 2.5-8

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

MISportsman

AH veteran
Reaction score
I know similar questions have been asked on here 1000s of times, but I picked up a nice CZ 550 .375 h&h about a year ago and still can't decide what scope to put on it. I am between the Leupold VX -3i 1.5-5 or the VX -3i 2.5-8. I will be using the rifle primarily for bear inside of 200 yards for now, but plan on using it on a future moose hunt in Alaska and bringing it along in a Colorado elk hunt (my .300 win mag will be my primary rifle on this hunt, but might bring the .375 to use if I end up in thicker timber) I also dream of taking it to hunt buffalo in Africa, but that's going to take a bit of saving and planning. What do you think would be the better option?

Greetings MISportsman,

For what it’s worth, yours truly has used a simple and rugged Zeiss 4x scope on my .375 for many years, with perfect success.
That said, I no longer carry any firearm across international borders, as I grew weary of the red tape, extra fees and worry over potential vandalism and theft.

The safari company that I work for has a rifle identical to mine (Brno 602, .375 H&H) except theirs is equipped with a 2.5 to 8x Zeiss Dialyte scope.
It is my constant companion while hunting there with my friends and co-workers at Khomas Safaris.
I just leave it on 4x, so as to avoid fidgeting with the various magnification settings when instead, I should be firing that all important first shot.

Be all of that as it may, of the two scopes you listed, I think your Leupold 1.5-5x would be very good for your planned future Africa buffalo hunting.
It also would be just fine for all other Africa “plains game” critters, eland to dik dik, with the vast majority of hunting conditions in African countries where hunting is common.

For longer shots, across canyons, etc., on N. American elk, mule deer, pronghorn and such likes, perhaps your Leupold 2.5-8x might serve a little better.
But, I’d bet a large pizza that, when you are old like me and look back over your many adventures, all of the elk you ever shot, with your .375 and larger scope, would also have been easy breezy with the same rifle and your smaller scope.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Not sure if you saw this thread. It was really a discussion on the best scope for a 375, lots of pages to look at. Given your choices I’d go with the 2.5-8, but the VX5 2-10 has become by favorite scope and will be staying on my 375. I originally had a 1.5-5 and thought it a great scope for DG but a 375 is too versatile a rifle to be limited when it doesn’t have to be.

Im going to parrot the other responses..

Ive got a 1-5x on my 375 right now.. but will be moving to a 2-10x soon..

1-5x is plenty for any DG scenario I can possibly come up with.. but limits the 375's versatility.. a 2-10x will allow me to use the rifle across a much wider spectrum of game and situations..

VX6 2-12x is what I have on two 375s

Im going to parrot the other responses..

Ive got a 1-5x on my 375 right now.. but will be moving to a 2-10x soon..

1-5x is plenty for any DG scenario I can possibly come up with.. but limits the 375's versatility.. a 2-10x will allow me to use the rifle across a much wider spectrum of game and situations..
It seems a lot of hunters have had the same experience and came to the same conclusion. It’s interesting to see.

I know similar questions have been asked on here 1000s of times, but I picked up a nice CZ 550 .375 h&h about a year ago and still can't decide what scope to put on it. I am between the Leupold VX -3i 1.5-5 or the VX -3i 2.5-8. I will be using the rifle primarily for bear inside of 200 yards for now, but plan on using it on a future moose hunt in Alaska and bringing it along in a Colorado elk hunt (my .300 win mag will be my primary rifle on this hunt, but might bring the .375 to use if I end up in thicker timber) I also dream of taking it to hunt buffalo in Africa, but that's going to take a bit of saving and planning. What do you think would be the better option?
I have both of the scopes in your poll on a 375hh in Talley QD rings. I carry both, and last couple of hunts for DG I used the 1.5-5 simply for the fact elephant shots are close, and I shoot it well both eyes open.

In the 1.5-5 I have a 4A reticle. When done with elephant we baited hyena and were into a blind prior to sunrise. if not for the 4A, we couldn’t have made a shot before they were departing the bait sight; I bracketed the shoulder with the bold crosshairs and shot, I could not see the fine crosshairs at the center. Dark conditions its OK, but wouldnt be all that high on my list.

The 2.5-8 I have shot a considerable number of plains game mostly in daylight conditions out to around 200 yds. It was the first scope I had on the gun and has seen a number of shots without ever turning a turret after initial sighting in and many airplane flights. That scope is bomb proof for me and I own several. This would be my choice between the two in your poll (but others have made some good recommendations)

I’d like to try a illuminated reticle for dark targets and poor light conditions.

I’ve got a VX6 1-6x e-dot on my .375 with no regrets. I wanted the lighter weight of the 1-6 over the 2-12…my .375 is 8.5# all in and is a pussycat to shoot.

I have two .375 Ruger Alaskans - yes, a brace!

One sports the VX5 3-15x44. One sports the VX5 1-5x24. Both have firedogs and the etched elevation cap for my choreographed load. Boddington posited the idea of two identical guns so equipped - either would do anything needed in Africa at least well, and you could take the same cartridge to ease the ammo weight allowance. Manual of arms is identical, if one broke in the field.

The 3-15x44 allows me to stretch the Ruger's legs/it's .30-06 like trajectory. This could be an across canyon shot for elk.

The 1-5x24 would handle anything else, and probably do the canyon shot well, but not as handily as the 3-15.

That said, I do have a VX3 1.5-5 with standard duplex that I need to sell, if you go that way.

I have two .375 Ruger Alaskans - yes, a brace!

One sports the VX5 3-15x44. One sports the VX5 1-5x24. Both have firedogs and the etched elevation cap for my choreographed load. Boddington posited the idea of two identical guns so equipped - either would do anything needed in Africa at least well, and you could take the same cartridge to ease the ammo weight allowance. Manual of arms is identical, if one broke in the field.

The 3-15x44 allows me to stretch the Ruger's legs/it's .30-06 like trajectory. This could be an across canyon shot for elk.

The 1-5x24 would handle anything else, and probably do the canyon shot well, but not as handily as the 3-15.

That said, I do have a VX3 1.5-5 with standard duplex that I need to sell, if you go that way.
Not all countries let you bring two rifles of the same caliber. I believe South Africa is one of them.

With the CZ550 you need to be mindful of the length of your scope- some are too short to mount onto the dovetails, or just fit bit leave no room for adjustment. There are several posts on AH detailing which scopes are long enough. I have a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 and a Leupold VXR 1.25-4 in QR rings on mine.

I prefer the Leupold VX5 2-10 or Leupold VX6 2-12. I have the VX 6 2-12 on my CZ 375 HH and it fits perfect. I have the Non CDS VX6 Patrol 1-6 on CZ458 Lott and it is perfect for my needs. I have gone to Leupold over Swarovski for eye relief. The Leupold has more eye relief than Swaro. I have the opportunity to handle all the models and went this route. The Swaro Z6 and Z8 glass is clearer, but eye relief on Leupold is better to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosSpin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg