Scope for.375 h&h

Which scope for my .375 h&h

• Leupold VX -3i 1.5-5

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Leupold VX -3i 2.5-8

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
I like the increased focal range of the newer scopes but on my model 70 375 H&H that was manufactured in 1966 sits a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 40mm. It fits the rifle very well.

VX 3, 1.5-5, or 2.5-8, appropriate for that rifle without looking like a big scope. Hunt hard, get close, I've never "had to" take a shot over 200 yards in Africa

Correction 2.0x10x42. Of your other choices the 2.5x8.
I own literally dozens of Leupolds, and it is hard to go wrong with any of VX options. I do like the VX5HD 2x10x42's for their versatility, and I used a VX5-HD 1-5 x 24 on my .375 on my last Safari. I've got the VX3HD 1-5 x 20 on .416 Rigby. All of this is to say I love Leupold rifle scopes, but I have recently delved into some new optics - mainly just to try something new.

My experiences have been interesting:

I bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42 binos which I think are a huge upgrade over the $500 10x42 Leupold's I had been using. The instant you put those Zeiss up to your eyes you have a perfect full field of view, the clarity is much better, and I fell the light gathering is better - than the Leupold Binos at least.

Recently, Eurooptic put some Meopta's on sale, so I bought a optika6 1-6 x 24i, and a optika5 2-10x42. Curious about their light gathering ability I conducted a little test with the optika5 2-10x42 vs. Zeiss Binos 10x42, vs. the VX5hd 2-10x42 Leupold. In the early evening I took a news paper and stapled it to a tree in the back yard. Every 10-15 minutes my father and I would try to read the news paper with each optic. The results were surprising - We both thought the cheap Meopta scope did the best job of gathering light. The Leupold and the Zeiss were about the same - I was a little butt hurt as I thought the Zeiss Binos would win.

For what is is worth those were my results. That said you can't go wrong with Leupold, but you might take a look at Meopta - Europtic still has the one of the models I bought on sale - Link below.

Attachments

• Meopta Optika5 2-10x42 - Z-Plex Riflescope 1032567 For Sale | SHIPS FREE - EuroOptic.com.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
I have an Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x24 on my AHR CZ-550 375 H&H, but most likely move up to something with a bit more magnification, and put the Trijicon on my Win Mod 70, 416 RM.

Have a 1.7X10 Meopita, great glass for the money. If money is not an issue a Swarovski 1.7X13.3 would be the bee's knees.

I'm not a fan of Leupold, they work. They are just not for me.

VX 3, 1.5-5, or 2.5-8, appropriate for that rifle without looking like a big scope. Hunt hard, get close, I've never "had to" take a shot over 200 yards in Africa

The OP indicated he'd also be using it for Elk & Moose. 375 H&H has more uses than just Africa. Sometimes in Alaska thick alder brush, you can't see 10 ft, so your best opportunity is overlooking a rivers opposite bank. May still only be plus or minus 300, but there is no reason an H&H can't do a good job. There is more than one way to make a good shot.

Seriously look at the VX5 2.0x12x42. I just splurged on one and do not regret it!
Correction 2.0x10x42. Of your other choices the 2.5x8.
I have that on my .375 Weatherby. Have hundreds of rounds through it with no problems of any kind. It's a good rig. Mine is the HD version with the brighter lenses. I recommend those over the standard. They are noticeably brighter. But they're all good.

I'm currently sporting a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF (illuminated) reticle and it's more than enough magnification out to 300 yards which is about my limit with that caliber. I also like having true 1x at the low power setting for both eyes open shooting at close range. More like a using a red dot optic on an AR than a scope when working at close range.

I know price is a major consideration but there are some other less expensive options out there that will still get you top quality glass for a better price. One source is Euro Optic and their demo scopes. A quick search turned up a demo model Kahles K18i 1-8x24 with illuminated reticle for a really good price. I also give high marks to Euro Optic for taking anything back and getting a full refund if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase.

Scope

If you have the time, keep your eyes glued to the classifieds for a used scope with an upper range of 6x. I know I've seen a few Swaro 1-6x EE (extended eye relief) scopes on there.

Attachments

• Kahles K18i 1-8x24mm IPSC Like New Demo Riflescope 10661 For Sale! - EuroOptic.com.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
I would look at more options.

Of the two scopes you are considering I would go with the VX3 2.5-8x36. Since this is an all purpose rifle with an initial focus on bear, I would be thinking a lot about low light capability. The trick is getting more light gathering without a ridiculous objective lens. That is accomplished with quality glass and high end coatings. I would be looking at something reasonably compact with a 42mm objective lens and illuminated dot. Your wallet will tell you what you can make happen in that category.

I have 2 scopes in QR mounts for my .375 H&H model 70, both fixed power. Leupold FXII-Ultralight 2.5x duplex, and FXII- 6x42 duplex with 200yd, 300yd dots. These scopes have been utterly reliable and are spot on when swapping in the Leupold QR mounts. My favorite is the 2.5x, it is so small and light you don't even know it is there, and the field of view is enormous. Not once have I wanted more power when hunting with it, fast, whip it up, crosshair on, press trigger!

I have a vX6 hd 1-6 on an AR, a VX6 3-18x50 on a fierce 7 RM, and a Nightforce 2.5-10x40. Like all three, but for a versatility I’d go with something in between on a 375. Can’t go wrong with either of your choices, but if budget allows, I’d go with a vX5 or VX6 in 2-10 or 2-12.

I’m currently kicking tires for my first medium bore - a 375 - and I’m planning on one of these with an outside chance of a fire sale and trying a Swarovski 1.7-10 or 13. FWIW, I really like the Firedot. As long as it’s legal everywhere you plan to hunt, it really grabs the eye.

I have a 3-12 S&B on my 375. I like having the versatility as many have mentioned. Never was an issue on DG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdellDeloa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg