Scope choice for a Ruger #1

Andrews

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I picked up a Boddington edition Ruger #1 about 6 months ago chambered in 7x57. I've been getting used to the rifle by using irons and shooting out to 100 yards. I am wanting to scope it now though and need some advice for a scope. With the somewhat more forward mounts of the #1, what scope do yall recommend? Wanting no more than 8 or 9 maximum and the lighter weight the better. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.08.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.08.01 PM.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 262
I have that same rifle. One of my favorites. Incredibly effective with 175gr Partitions. This is a Leupold 1.5-5 in Leupold Low Matte rings. Like my scopes mounted low. I swapped the fixed rear Boddington sight for a standard folding No 1 sight. Perfect eye relief and no need for extension rings. 5x has proven to be plenty of magnification for my hunting out to 250 yards. Just returned from a hunt in So Africa with this rifle. What a pleasure to carry.

zzhD3GOrRyK4GxSEzkZ16g.jpg

Without knowing what you plan on doing with the rifle or how well is shoots is hard to pass on good advice. Personally I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a scope for a rifle that wouldn't shoot a minute of angle, now if it puts three shoots thru one hole at 100 yards it's time to talk serious glass.

A08ABF27-294D-4FCF-AF44-F1EB3FD38534.jpeg
Doesn’t sound like this is your scope but the reason I am posting is so you can see the rings that Ruger makes that set any scope back for you.

I think you have the power range about right but it depends what you plan on using it for. Based on the attributes of the round, a 2.5-8X Leupold would probably be my first choice, but a 1-6X Swarovski or Zeiss would be a heck of a combo if you wanted top end glass.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've been learning towards the Leupold 1.5x5. I envision the rifle as being mostly just a spot and stalk whitetail setup. I had a VX3i 3.5-10x40 laying around I threw on just to see how it felt and I have to creep up the stock to get a good sight picture. It may be the detachable Talley rings that came with the rifle though. They seem a bit taller than I like.

Agreed. I found the Talley’s to be too high and force an awkward check weld. I have 2 No 1s with Leupold 1.5-5s and they both shoot MoA out to any reasonable hunting range. The scopes have proven to be 100% reliable despite numerous flights. The low Leupold rings and folding rear sight are the ticket. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul K

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?