Scammer on AH?

@AfricaHunting.com Jerome, this is a good bit of feedback. About every site on the Internet is dealing with the existential crisis of leaked credentials. I can guarantee that some of the fraud is from hacked accounts. All a perp has to do is find an email and password match on the dark web and then try them out on various forums. (people reuse their passwords on many sites)

The cure to this problem of hacked accounts is MFA / 2FA. (Multifactor authentication) This is where in order to log in you must receive an email, text message, or put a code in on an app on your phone. It ensures that a log in requires three things: something you have (A user name), something you know (a password), and something random that cannot be stolen (a one time pin code).

You could certainly pass on the costs of such technology to your user community. To buy or sell on this forum, you need a "premium" account that has this safety feature. That costs $10 a year to cover MFA security.

A cheaper alternative to the above is credential passing using a trusted password. (typically Facebook, Apple, and Google) You log in with those credentials and when you change those credentials, it changes your info here. The assumption is that if you're hacked, you forget about your 200 Internet passwords and focus only on the "main one" being FB/Apple/Google. Those three in turn allow MFA so they provide further security.
All of this is on point however I want members to be able to join our community anonymously and away from the control of FB/Apple/Google. People have been scammed on every platform including those you mentioned with multi factor authentication so this will not prevent scams from taking place. Like the the idioms says: Where there's a will, there's a way...

'Used to work with a guy that sounded like most Muppet's characters. Boy, did he get a LOT of ribbing and mimicry!!! "Hey, Bert!..." lol everytime someone saw him.

If indeed you did get scammed, that is too bad. But we all need to remember, that we are responsible for our own actions, trusts and distrusts? We choose to do business on this forum and we certainly have an obligation to own up to the risks involved. If you make a bad shot on a Buff and he runs you down - are you going to blame the PH? Are you going ask where the protections are? The protection you seek lies in self education against whatever your opponent will try and stick you with. I have made multiple gun purchases as well as other purchases on this forum. I have never found a single patron to not satisfy my list of qualifications before I do business with someone. Maybe make a list of red flags that make your hair stand on end, and check these off as you discuss the next sale or purchase.

I am sorry, but anyone who says they will not do business with anyone on this site because of a scammer is not being reasonable nor entirely rational. If you do your homework, and if you pay attention to warning signs and red flags, the risk of being scammed should be manageable. There is no way that Jerome or Brickburn can vet every potential transaction or offer in advance, nor should we expect them to.

Don’t rely on or expect others to do your work for you. It’s about personal responsibility.

Well, I'm going to post a warning. If I show up here trying to sell anything, it's most likely a scam. I am severely technologically maladroit, and haven't a clue as to how to manage remote payment, much less post pictures of items I might be willing to part with. If you want anything of mine, you'll have to catch me at a Palmer gun show. Maybe Wasilla if I could ever remember it in time to get a table.

Well, I'm going to post a warning. If I show up here trying to sell anything, it's most likely a scam. I am severely technologically maladroit, and haven't a clue as to how to manage remote payment, much less post pictures of items I might be willing to part with. If you want anything of mine, you'll have to catch me at a Palmer gun show. Maybe Wasilla if I could ever remember it in time to get a table.
Me too lol I don't even know what Venmo is lol

Are you actually in complete control of your own keyboard?

Disappointing?!

You are a liar and a muppet.

In researching this BS, I have a reply from Africahunting to you within two hours of your "report" and your reply: "No artificial rush. Thanks for the update."

Here is the screen shot of the log.

View attachment 470243

In that reply, yesterday, further information was requested from you by Africahunting detailing the concern beyond "I think I have been scammed" and you NEVER PROVIDED anything.

Provide the details of your bloody concern in a PM with a thread Link, the specific member, time/date and every detail you can.

If indeed you have been scammed I feel for you. I still don't know who you feel you have been scammed by.
I’m always impressed by tough guys who throw insults hiding behind screens. if you would like to meet in person I’m happy to do so and discuss it then.

I never got a response that I saw. I was told I did but that it becomes unavailable a day later.

I am sorry, but anyone who says they will not do business with anyone on this site because of a scammer is not being reasonable nor entirely rational. If you do your homework, and if you pay attention to warning signs and red flags, the risk of being scammed should be manageable. There is no way that Jerome or Brickburn can vet every potential transaction or offer in advance, nor should we expect them to.

Don’t rely on or expect others to do your work for you. It’s about personal responsibility.
I’m not saying the site is responsible in anyway. I did look at the member that scammed me and felt comfortable because of past transactions on the site. It was under my $1,000 limit and I went for it. My responsibility.

The reality is if you use GB or EBAY or most other commerce sites and link purchased to a credit card you have pretty good insurance. CC cover most fraud. There is no protection on this site and that’s fine, but it makes no sense to encourage transactions on AH considering how many attempted scams are happening.

I had several good interactions and maybe that made me lower my guard, that’s 100% on me. I won’t do another transaction here for sure.

You already said you're done here. Why hang around and act butt-hurt? I'm just an old fart, but when I tell somebody to eff off I mean it. If you don't, well there you are.

I never received a response within two hours, it’s an outright lie.

Rude remarks and cheap shots are the tools of weak men.

The ones to watch are the "new guys'. Someone will "join" and within a day or so will offer up "such a deal." Sounds too good to be true and usually is. I've done business with several members and never had a hiccup. I look for guys who have been members for several years and whose posts I have read. Over time you can get a pretty good read on folks.

Here is the screenshot showing the time stamp.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.26.48 AM.png

You’re not making any friends here Rell. This is a great bunch of guys. I’m sure you’re pissed at the situation, but you’re lashing out in the wrong direction.

I’ve not had a Pepsi far, but I am more conservative when purchasing. There was a Blaser Rifle that I was interested in, but the seller was new. I PM the buyer and he flew to the seller to meet and inspect, and his transaction and all went well. So far I have purchased a Leica Spotting scope, a Scope and a book. But it is the internet, and buyer beware.

I’ve not had a Pepsi far, but I am more conservative when purchasing. There was a Blaser Rifle that I was interested in, but the seller was new. I PM the buyer and he flew to the seller to meet and inspect, and his transaction and all went well. So far I have purchased a Leica Spotting scope, a Scope and a book. But it is the internet, and buyer beware.

Fucking, Apple. I’ve not had a problem so far. I just don’t understand, how Apple came up with Pepsi.

scammers.jpg

Like my father used to say, "Some people just have to learn the hard way".

Yikes! Sad because these things kind of poison the water. I too don’t know Venmo nor most of the other pay/transfer companies other than PayPal and Remitly. Have used PayPal for years without issue but don’t use it for gun related transactions. Coincidentally, because it was brought up in this thread, yesterday I had two different airlines require me to verify my credit card, for air ticket purchases, by signing into my PayPal account. Whaaat? Kind of bassackwards… but it worked. Don’t ask me why. My CC is a Mastercard, well established with clean record, backed by a credit score averaging 790-820 and at least 20k credit balance left in this cycle. Strange things are afoot, IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdhreyf43562

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well