Scammer on AH?

Just my 2¢ as we have had a (very) few anti's and scammers to infect our AH forum. Because we are such a enthusiastic and tight knit group these folks have had very little to no success and our forum administrators have been able to quickly ban these folks before they can do sufficient/significant damage/harm.

Big Thank You to Jerome and Brickburn.

I made my first transactions on this forum a few years ago in prep for my first safari. I purchased 2 firearms from the AH member in a F2F at a mutual location.

Not too long ago I made another firearms purchase it was a longer drive for both of us but we did a F2F transaction at a mutual location.

When it comes to high dollar items if the seller doesn't won't to do F2F at a midway public location then we don't do business.

For low dollar transactions I'm old school I use certified bank checks, USPS money order, or CC only. Personal checks I'll accept, generally I wait till the personal check clear then forward the item I am selling. As a couple of members here on AH and I have done transactions where there check and my item have crossed in the mail and all has been great.

I have had scammers to try and scam me so far without success. One particular scam even had information on a car that was stolen from me several years ago. The background noise and multiple phone transfers to senior personnel sent Red Flags going through my brain and gut.

The scammers claimed they were with Texas DPS and BP. They first sounded ligitament. Then then they gave themselves away because of my former law enforcement background. The scammers wanted me to fly from Tennessee to Dallas, TX to attend court within 24 hours. When I told them to call my local sheriff's department it became a more beligurant conversation then they hung up on me.

Three key things scammers most often do to give themselves away: that I have found:

1. Scammers really butcher the American English language: spelling, grammar, punctuation, and wrongful use of words/wording in written communication.

2. Scammers when challenged or denied will almost instantly become annoyed, beligurant, and bullying in conversation.

3. When a person they are trying to scam request a call back number other than the one the scammer (s) have provided or the person mentions calling law enforcement the scammer (s) immediately hang up.

As a group we need to continuely to quickly and positively identify, call out, and report all scams and scammers in oder to protect our niche and each other.

Here is the screenshot showing the time stamp.

View attachment 470398
and Jerome with the Mic drop...

Be cautious and vigilant with any sale. If the buyer takes Paypal you can even use a CC for a fee. Plenty of options for payment and arrangement to be made if you really want the item and the seller wants the sale.

Just my 2¢ as we have had a (very) few anti's and scammers to infect our AH forum. Because we are such a enthusiastic and tight knit group these folks have had very little to no success and our forum administrators have been able to quickly ban these folks before they can do sufficient/significant damage/harm.

Big Thank You to Jerome and Brickburn.

I made my first transactions on this forum a few years ago in prep for my first safari. I purchased 2 firearms from the AH member in a F2F at a mutual location.

Not too long ago I made another firearms purchase it was a longer drive for both of us but we did a F2F transaction at a mutual location.

When it comes to high dollar items if the seller doesn't won't to do F2F at a midway public location then we don't do business.

For low dollar transactions I'm old school I use certified bank checks, USPS money order, or CC only. Personal checks I'll accept, generally I wait till the personal check clear then forward the item I am selling. As a couple of members here on AH and I have done transactions where there check and my item have crossed in the mail and all has been great.

I have had scammers to try and scam me so far without success. One particular scam even had information on a car that was stolen from me several years ago. The background noise and multiple phone transfers to senior personnel sent Red Flags going through my brain and gut.

The scammers claimed they were with Texas DPS and BP. They first sounded ligitament. Then then they gave themselves away because of my former law enforcement background. The scammers wanted me to fly from Tennessee to Dallas, TX to attend court within 24 hours. When I told them to call my local sheriff's department it became a more beligurant conversation then they hung up on me.

Three key things scammers most often do to give themselves away: that I have found:

1. Scammers really butcher the American English language: spelling, grammar, punctuation, and wrongful use of words/wording in written communication.

2. Scammers when challenged or denied will almost instantly become annoyed, beligurant, and bullying in conversation.

3. When a person they are trying to scam request a call back number other than the one the scammer (s) have provided or the person mentions calling law enforcement the scammer (s) immediately hang up.

As a group we need to continuely to quickly and positively identify, call out, and report all scams and scammers in oder to protect our niche and each other.

Totally agree. And if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

This one might create a lot of false positives, if you know what I mean.

This one might create a lot of false positives, if you know what I mean.

Yes. Maybe. I thought about that before I mentioned it.

But for the most part anyone that has been around foreigners should be able to tell the differences between a foreigner that is trying to use American English properly and a foreigner that just wants the person they are scamming to think that the scammer understands American English.

Although its hard to explain I think most people understand what I'm saying. At least I hope so.

But then isn't it to better be safe than sorry?

I have been on this forum many years. Over those many years I have sold items to people and bought items from people. In every instance the seller and I spoke on the phone and in most instances we traded photographs of items. So in most instances both parties were well satisfied before money or merchandise traded hands.
will I buy from forum members in the future? Probably yes. Will I sell items to forum members in the future probably.

Not sure how AH is at fault. If you pay over 1k to someone who you have never met and you have never seen yhe goods and he shafts you?
Scammers all around.....
Last week I responded to a person selling a rooftop tent as good as new at less than half the price on fb. I made arrangements to go and view(1hrs drive away). They demanded a 50% deposit and said they dont take cash....I said I dont pay until I see the goods. Next message was It has been sold to someone else.....we as humans trust too much

AH is mainly American forum.
I live in Europe.

This means, buying a gun, from USA and shipping it to EU with all paperwork is nearly impossible.
(Mission impossible, is for Tom Cruise, only)
So, this puts my heart at ease, because I am never tempted to buy a gun on AH.

For other things, optics, etc... Shipping costs, taxes, VAT, etc would probably be too much, to get it from USA to EU.

So, I am not tempted at all. (although, looking at some offers here, quality of goods sold, the varieties or prices, makes me wanna cry for being out of loop and away from lower 48... )

Me too, I have never bought a thing that I did not see first.

Even the scope (especially the scope).
The point is when buying the scope in high price range how to determine which one is better? Swarovski? Zeiss? Schmidt und Bender? Nightforce?

So, even with scope, i refuse online shopping and I go to shop, to check the products, and decide which one suits me better. Talking in person with knowledgable dealer, shopowner, helps as well. Optics trade is not too far away from my place. 3 hours drive.

Optics trade is not too far away from my place. 3 hours drive.

I wanted to go, but relying on the train from Zagreb to Slovenia, I could not make it work. But I have bought stuff from them and had it shipped. Excellent for hard to find European items at very reasonable prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdhreyf43562

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well