Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DU, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA,TX, LA, CO
Looking for recommendations to create a picture book or coffee table book of our last safari. I've used shutterfly in the past to create one and it was ok but I'm looking to create one a little larger than they offer and a little nicer, leather cover, high quality printing, etc.

Anyone else created one of these with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have had great luck with Shutterfly. And they do offer a leather cover option as well. I do the 11x14 matte hardcover with the deluxe flat pages. I do custom design on all of them and the site is very easy to manipulate. I have yet to see anything better. Curious to see what others suggest.

Photo Journals

I have had great luck with Shutterfly. And they do offer a leather cover option as well. I do the 11x14 matte hardcover with the deluxe flat pages. I do custom design on all of them and the site is very easy to manipulate. I have yet to see anything better. Curious to see what others suggest.

Photo Journals
That is very cool. Thanks for the inspiration. I've never thought about doing something like that! (y)

Photo Journals
Thank you Red Leg, I'll definetly look at shutterfly again. The last one I created was several years ago. With the leather cover were you able to put text and a photo on the outside of the leather cover? I see the pic above with a picture and text on the cover but I couldn't tell if those were leather or not.

Just saw the matte hard cover!

Just saw the matte hard cover!
I did a couple ten years are so ago with the leather option, but we have decided we prefer the matte hard cover. They upgraded their program pretty significantly a couple of years ago.

I do them as photo journals, and as you note, they look great on a coffee table.

photo journals.jpg

Last edited:

Photo Journals

+1 on shutterfly..

We've done one for pretty much every international trip (hunting or otherwise) for the last 12+ years...

There is almost always a groupon available for one that will get you a decent discount off of their normal retail price as well..

Another option:

they can literally be as cheap as $25 shipped to your door.. up to a few hundred bucks.. depending on how big you want them (5x7 / 8x10 / 11/14, etc), how many pages they contain, and what, if any "upgrades" you want like glossy pages vs matte etc..

I think I ended up spending about $75 on my most recent one.. but it was pretty sizeable.. we did a trip to French Polynesia, island hopped to 3 different locations (Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti), and there were a lot of unique experiences and different activities captured.. so there was a lot of material included in the book..

I think the last "Safari" one we did was about $50 +/-? I cant recall... but.. none of them have ever been what I would consider cost prohibitive... In fact, most of them cost less than the box of ammo I purchased to go on the hunt with :)

Like I pointed out in a previous post... there are almost always "groupons" available that will get you a decent discount if youre willing to go that route..

I just checked there.. they have several "sales" going on right now..

they can literally be as cheap as $25 shipped to your door.. up to a few hundred bucks.. depending on how big you want them (5x7 / 8x10 / 11/14, etc), how many pages they contain, and what, if any "upgrades" you want like glossy pages vs matte etc..

I think I ended up spending about $75 on my most recent one.. but it was pretty sizeable.. we did a trip to French Polynesia, island hopped to 3 different locations (Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti), and there were a lot of unique experiences and different activities captured.. so there was a lot of material included in the book..

I think the last "Safari" one we did was about $50 +/-? I cant recall... but.. none of them have ever been what I would consider cost prohibitive... In fact, most of them cost less than the box of ammo I purchased to go on the hunt with :)

Like I pointed out in a previous post... there are almost always "groupons" available that will get you a decent discount if youre willing to go that route..

I just checked there.. they have several "sales" going on right now..

Thats pretty inexpensive. Thanks for the information.

Another option:

Appreciate the option...had not see these before will look into as well.

I've also used Picaboo. They discontinued the leather option a while back.

My thought on photo journal/albums is that they represent something a grandchild would someday appreciate. The dead things on the wall will long be gone as will the digits in some cell phone or computer. And of course we enjoy periodically thumbing through a previous adventure as well.

Mine tend to run a bit more ($125 - $175 ish), but I use most of the bells and whistles in a large format album with lots of pages.

My thought on photo journal/albums is that they represent something a grandchild would someday appreciate. The dead things on the wall will long be gone as will the digits in some cell phone or computer. And of course we enjoy periodically thumbing through a previous adventure as well.

Mine tend to run a bit more ($125 - $175 ish), but I use most of the bells and whistles in a large format album with lots of pages.
I am going to respectfully have to disagree with you about he grandkids. While I don't have any yet, and hope not to have some for several years. I can tell, you from cleaning out a couple of estate, the heir don't care about photos either. And I have personally dumped thousands of my "family" photos into the round file. I certainly agree with you about the game-heads.

I am going to respectfully have to disagree with you about he grandkids. While I don't have any yet, and hope not to have some for several years. I can tell, you from cleaning out a couple of estate, the heir don't care about photos either. And I have personally dumped thousands of my "family" photos into the round file. I certainly agree with you about the game-heads.
Unidentified old photos yes. Though Nancy and I cherish many that we have from our families. I have a journal of my great grandfather and my father's diary from the Second World War. They are two of my prized possessions. It is why I do photo journals rather than photo albums. It may well be our granddaughter won't care, but I would be surprised.

Photo Journals
Both my safaris have been done by Shutterfly as well as will my upcoming 3rd to Zim

If you build your book on Shutterfly but don’t complete the checkout process, they will e mail deals and discounts regularly. Then you can use those discounts and complete the checkout process. I always wait for free shipping and at least fifty percent off before I pay for my projects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nfkghjd

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]