Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
"So, lets lay down a few rules about long range shooting.
  1. A long range shot should never be taken if the rifleman feels doubtful of his ability to make a good, solid, well placed hit.
  2. A long range shot should never be taken if the hunter can not get into a solid position- prone with sling, from a rest, etc.
  3. A long range shot should never be taken at any dangerous game animal - a Brown Grizzly, or Polar bear, a Lion, a Tiger, a Leopard, a Cape Buffalo.
  4. A long range shot should never be taken at an unwounded, running animal.
  5. A long range shot should never be taken if the animal shot at can get out of sight so quickly that it would be difficult to ascertain the effect of the shot.
  6. A long range shot should not be taken if the range is so great that a hold on top of the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity."

"..., The more I hunt and shoot the more I see others shoot the more convinced I am that they are wise and sensible rules and if they were universally adopted the number of game animals that get away wounded to suffer and die would be greatly reduced."

Last edited:
I was reading an old book this weekend and ran into these rules. It dawned on me that these rules were echoed to me when I was a young hunter and I had no idea about the source.

The authors notion (at least expressed at the time) of a long shot was 300+ yards.

I will share the source and author.....

I went with O'Connor.

Didn't know for sure, but used process of elimination mostly. Boddington to young, Ruark would shoot at anything it seemed, and I don't think of the African guys discussing long range shooting.

Great set of rules regardless.

Great rules and even apply today. I bet they would take into consideration (#6) today's weapons, optics and bullets and change that distance a bit. A tremendous difference in the Hunter's ability, and practice goes into or should factor into the decision.

When I was in my early teens, (during the Pleistocene Epoch), I recall reading something from Jack O'Conner that he felt 200 yards was the limit of ethical shots on stationary animals.
So, my bet is on Mr. .270 himself (even though rumor has it that he carefully admitted to preferring the .30-06 just slightly more - lol).

Jack O'Connor.

I went with Selous. Did you notice the comment about dangerous game included tigers?

The Tiger comment is certainly novel.

Yes and the comment that you had already seen this as a youth....or was that Velodog?????

Went with O'Connor

Yes and the comment that you had already seen this as a youth....or was that Velodog?????

Just had these rules or a version of them told to me as a kid. Not quite Dinosaur country yet. :ROFLMAO:

Agree with the rules, probably O´Connor.

I am adopting the official concensus, and going with O'Conner as well; however with today's optics, I consider 200 yds still within "the point blanc range" (with a decent rest of course).

Went with Selous as I seem to remember him hunting in India. As an aside, you would not believe the chit storm I created by saying much the same on another forum. The range of accusations lodged against me was pretty colorful. Apparently I was one of the few that was unable to shoot 6 -800 yard bulleyes.
I shot 3 off hand shots yesterday. 2 of the shots were on horizontally but 3" off center vertically. The 3rd shot hit the next target over 9 inches to the right (next target). I'd say missing by that much makes me unqualified to shoot 200 yards.

O'Connor's book THE HUNTING RIFLE has a photo of a Tiger captioned as taken by him in 1955. He comments on them as dangerous game. There's more than a good chance that several of these gentlemen hunted Tigers in India.

Just my $0.02 comment.

O'Connor's book THE HUNTING RIFLE has a photo of a Tiger captioned as taken by him in 1955. He comments on them as dangerous game. There's more than a good chance that several of these gentlemen hunted Tigers in India.

Just my $0.02 comment.
That is good to know - might change my vote. I still like Selous, but don't know what books he might have written.

I was reading an old book this weekend and ran into these rules. It dawned on me that these rules were echoed to me when I was a young hunter and I had no idea about the source.

The authors notion (at least expressed at the time) of a long shot was 300+ yards.

I will share the source and author.....
Wayne, in no way ,shape or form should a hunter take a shot at a game animal when he/she is in doubt.

I (and I am sure others would admit ((to themselves )) that they have taken "pot shots", and have been VERY lucky)but, they would also have to admit they have f****ed a shot or two (the infamous "I couldn't find blood " or "the animal didn't act like it was hit")....

I for one am sure most of the great people on this forum KNOW what their limits are. It's the ones who post pictures of a one hole group at 200 meters that scare the crap out of me. Because they represent us! Not saying it can't be done, I've seen it, but not with a hunting rifle/load.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

C. Eastwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TemekaCarr

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available