Muzzle Control on Safari

This thread reminds me of the Pre-Sept 11th shoot house argument on high carry vs low carry. The conversation went away when people starting doing real work. I have no issue with someone with an African carry behind me if they are aware of the status of their weapon, aware of the terrain they are walking on or through, to prevent tripping or snagged on a branch. If their head is on a swivel they will manipulate their muzzle as required. I would much rather have a COMPETENT hunter doing whatever he wants behind me than a nervous Nelly doing port arms who carries a rifle a couple times a year.

Good odds you would be dead in a week clearing houses all night, every night, at Port arms. It’s not fast or maneuverable enough.

However, We still use port arms with M1 carbines and M14s while marching and rendering honors for my Legion and VFW posts

Muzzle control is always important but no matter how you cut it, but there's always something that can be done better. You have to come to the realization that 1) a round is more than likely in the chamber and 2) you will likely have the muzzle pointed in not the completely ideal direction. By that I don't mean pointed at someone's back. It might be pointed somewhere in their general direction, at some point though.

Hunting is dangerous. Period. If the game isn't dangerous, the practice itself is. Dove hunting sees tons of people get sprayed/shot every year. Same with upland. Same with waterfowl. In Africa, the game or wildlife is more of a risk but in the end you are walking next to someone with a round in their or your chamber ready to go boom.

Following your PH through the thick stuff, it's pretty hard to keep the muzzle up in the air. Best you can do is try and keep it pointed down and canted away from your PH, with the safety on. There's been a number of discussions on here about when to chamber a round and not. Follow what your PH says.

In the end, you do the best you can. If you want to really eliminate the danger? Golf is a good option.

Yup.

My wife actually worries more about me walking across the street from my office to get a coffee than she does out hunting.

There is no such thing as "completely safe."

Ask someone stalking a wounded buffalo how they feel about no round in the chamber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamCog

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available