Ruger Safari Magnum Project

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Ya know, I like the wood on these things. Mine is quite similar in that is has long, well defines, streight grain. Nothing fancy but distinctive. Nice rifle.

It's pretty obvious from this image that the rear sight needs some help. There is a thin shallow centerline but pretty useless if you can't see it. I'm going to have it widened and deepened a bit then filled with white enamel or gold, not sure which. The front sight is a blade with a white line so maybe gold for contrast but white would show up better.

sight picture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by the stock maker today to discuss the reshaping project and getting it started. He has other projects to complete but we settled on taking it in steps where he can have it for a few days at a time then giving it back so I can see the progress and try it out. His shop is halfway between my house and our cabin; I traverse the route weekly so I think it will work out fine.

I would like him to work on whe wrist area first cuz I find that to be the most uncomfortable. I'll be shooting it this weekend to adjust the sights (and just for the fun of it) and pay a lot of attention to the wrist as I'm shooting. There should be enough wood for a [alm swell.

As someone who’s never seen a RSM in the wild, I’m surprised by all the negative comments about this one. It seems the general population here fawns over them!

As someone who’s never seen a RSM in the wild, I’m surprised by all the negative comments about this one. It seems the general population here fawns over them!
If "the negative comments about this one" is referencing my particular rifle I don't think that is the case because these are production rifles that are all built the same within there specific generation, i.e. there is nothing about mine that is any different than the next of its generation. There is a lot to admire in Bill Rugers RSM creation and as a huge fan of Rugers in general (I have 4) I would be the last to totally castigate these rifles. That does not mean that they do not have issues that are well documented.

I bought my RSM after doing some pretty significant research so I was well aware of not only what a fine rifle it is but also the significant issues that bother not only me, but many others. I made it my personal goal to take on the not so small expense of addressing the issues and making my RSM a unique, fine handling Africa capable rifle to my liking. Other than the stock work much of this project is cosmetic and personal preference. The future will tell if I'm at all successful in this endeavor.

Last edited:
If "the negative comments about this one" is referencing my particular rifle I don't think that is the case because these are production rifles that are all built the same within there specific generation, i.e. there is nothing about mine that is any different than the next of its generation. There is a lot to admire in Bill Rugers RSM creation and as a huge fan of Rugers in general (I have 4) I would be the last to totally castigate these rifles. That does not mean that they do not have issues that are well documented.

I bought my RSM after doing some pretty significant research so I was well aware of not only what a fine rifle it is but also the significant issues that bother not only me, but many others. I made it my personal goal to take on the not so small expense of addressing the issues and making my RSM a unique, fine handling Africa capable rifle to my liking. Other than the stock work much of this project is cosmetic and personal preference. The future will tell if I'm at all successful in this endeavor.
Sorry if I came off like I’m calling you out. I’m not saying you’re wrong at all, I just hadn’t heard anything bad about these rifles until I read this, so I was surprised. But it seems like others are in agreement.

I truly hope this rifle turns out to be exactly as you are imagine it to be!

Sorry if I came off like I’m calling you out. I’m not saying you’re wrong at all, I just hadn’t heard anything bad about these rifles until I read this, so I was surprised. But it seems like others are in agreement.

I truly hope this rifle turns out to be exactly as you are imagine it to be!
Indeed to each their own, a gun fit is a personal thing.

I’m personally very happy with my recent purchase of a 375 H&H Ruger RSM and will not be spending a cent further other than in ammo and range time and practice on sticks for my Safari. I’m very happy at the value I received finding a gun with many features only found on guns much more expensive. And during my first range session last week I can see those touting its accuracy with almost any bullets are spot on.

The only upgrade I’ve heard tossed around that I could see doing is making the safety a bit easier to work because it does tuck down fairly tight and could see the need for it being more prominent in a rushed scenario. That said since I’m not hunting DG this first Safari so I doubt I make the further investment.

The only upgrade I’ve heard tossed around that I could see doing is making the safety a bit easier to work because it does tuck down fairly tight and could see the need for it being more prominent in a rushed scenario.
I've come across other references to this issue but have not researched a solution any further. My interest is buffalo so as you say it's rather important to have this critical piece highly functional. Along these same lines the bolt handle is buried in the stock so cycling for that quick second shot is a real concern. My hope is that reshaping the stock will help in both cases.

Took the Sows Ear to the range today to set the sights. I needed to get another front sight blade as I got a little over zealous with the file so it shoots high. The attached target is the first 5-shots at 100-yards on an 8" bull using the first leaf. I thought not bad for iron sights considering that at that range it looks like a pinhead.

PXL_20230618_195709260.jpg
PXL_20230618_204902752.jpg

Took the Sows Ear to the range today to set the sights. I needed to get another front sight blade as I got a little over zealous with the file so it shoots high. The attached target is the first 5-shots at 100-yards on an 8" bull using the first leaf. I thought not bad for iron sights considering that at that range it looks like a pinhead.

View attachment 540782View attachment 540783
Minute of buffalo, easily.

There is a crack between the trigger group and the magazine well. These rifles only have one cross bolt and that is ahead of the magazine well. I was planning on adding another just where this crack developed, that has now been moved up in the schedule.

PXL_20230619_152652228.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations of a gunsmith who typically works on RSM. I'd love to do a little bit to mine.

The stock maker I use fixed the crack that was forming in the web. The area behind the magazine of RSM stocks has bothered me since I got the rifle. There is an overly large cutout to accommodate the center screw. He made a center pillar to reinforce and fill this area and installed two new cross bolts. I wanted a second cross bolt anyway because couldn't see how the one that Ruger installs forward of the magazine well would do much of anything useful; I think the crack in the web validates that. I had previously bought Talley Magnum cross bolts for the job but he installed threaded rods and used ebony plugs to finish it off. I personally think the Ruger cross bolt looks cheap and ugly; I like the way this turned out.

Center pillar.jpg
Cross bolts.jpg

The stock has been considerably trimmed down as can be seen in these before & after images of the wrist area.

Attachments

• Orig top of wrist.jpg
    Orig top of wrist.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20230630_162131130.jpg
    PXL_20230630_162131130.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 107
I have a question on the RSM and there is obviously a lot of knowledge about them on this thread.
I bought a 375 H&H a couple of years ago and love it. Compared to my Kimber 300, it is definitely a heavier "clunkier" stock and very heavy barreled. But when I shoot it, I lose any complaints-good trigger, good action, the thickness and weight of the stock seems to steady everything off sticks for me and it groups extremely well. I used it on my hunt with Kowas in Namibia and it was no problem to carry, a joy to shoot and performed flawlessly.
My question is the two styles I see on the barrel band. Mine is in the forearm like the picture of @Bonk rifle in this thread. But a lot of them have the band on the barrel, free of the fore end, like the OP. My understanding is they are both RSM labeled but when/why the difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]