Ruger RSM Uh-oh?

Seems odd. Usually cracks there are not feathergrain like that, but an actual crack. Plus the gap would normally negate cracks in the area.
My concern with any tang area cracks are what caused it. Often it means the recoil lug area forward has let go or cracked as well, thus requiring repairs and bedding.
First step is take it apart and assess what happened.
I think the grain of the wood made the area vulnerable. The Lott has a very high recoil impulse and if everything is just a little loosey goosey the tang will hammer back. Fortunately caught early.

Thank you! 458 indeed,

Any Gunsmith suggestions
Thank you!
I would call Wayne @ AHR, if he is not interested in the work he would definitely be able to recommend someone competent.

FYI Wayne is a member here on the forum but I can’t remember his screen name.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.33 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.33 AM Large.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.36 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.36 AM Large.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.38 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.38 AM Large.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.40 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.41.40 AM Large.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 42
Yep. The fact that its a Lott and there is a significant gap is the reason. Bedding will fix it assuming no additional damage elsewhere. I don't recall if these are like the M77 in that they have an angled front screw...makes it bit more difficult. fixing the crack after the bedding is easy. I found that the the hobby store two part glue and accelerator spray if fast and bods well. Then use pressure to hold it back tight. You can make it almost disappear. Rubber bands over it works to add even distributed pressure after gluing. Check to see if there are cracks or spaces around the recoil lug....first sign inside the stock that it needs attention.

Yep. The fact that its a Lott and there is a significant gap is the reason. Bedding will fix it assuming no additional damage elsewhere. I don't recall if these are like the M77 in that they have an angled front screw...makes it bit more difficult. fixing the crack after the bedding is easy. I found that the the hobby store two part glue and accelerator spray if fast and bods well. Then use pressure to hold it back tight. You can make it almost disappear. Rubber bands over it works to add even distributed pressure after gluing. Check to see if there are cracks or spaces around the recoil lug....first sign inside the stock that it needs attention.
No angled screw... as I noted... a two part linkage for bedding. My two cents... epoxy thinned and gently worked in around the edges with minimal finger pressure followed by wiping away excess and ... as you noted compression of the area... with layer of cellophane doped with release. I suspect this is just a cosmetic crack.

AHR (Wayne) has handed off CZ work to :

I am fully aware- seeing as the OP was about an RSM; which Wayne also used to work on and thus is familiar with them.

Hence my comment “if he doesn’t want the work he can recommend”

Looks superficial to me. I’d pop it out of the stock and take a look to see if any other cracks are visible. Did you check the torque on the screws? If you’re handy with wood work you Might be able to pop the chip all the way off, apply a thin layer of microbed and put back in. Then light touch up to finish.
Replacement stocks can be had for $300ish - not a bad idea to snag one - just double check the one you buy has the same measurement on the front holes.

Agreed, looks superficial. Not something I’d like on my rifle either but could be fixed likely cheaper than a new stock. But there’s nothing wrong with a new fancy stock if it bothers you…

I think the grain of the wood made the area vulnerable. The Lott has a very high recoil impulse and if everything is just a little loosey goosey the tang will hammer back. Fortunately caught early.
If it moves back under recoil, something doesnt fit right. Thats why I suggested the obvious, take it apart and see whats going on. Main recoil lug recess may have gone to Heaven, seen it happen on less hard kickers than any .458 mag.

The first thing I would is to call Ruger and see what they will do for you.

I would call them anyway.

I might too, but I would already know what they will say. It goes like this, "take it to a gunsmith".

A few years ago, when the stock on my sons 375 cracked I got to talk with the Ruger CEO and he insisted that we send it back to be restocked.

A few years ago, when the stock on my sons 375 cracked I got to talk with the Ruger CEO and he insisted that we send it back to be restocked.
Was the rifle a current production model at the time?

I think so
That would explain it then, that and talking to the big boss.

I have several times tried to get Ruger to work on things not in production, sorry fella, get a gunsmith, was the reply.
I once bought an early tang safety 77 in .458 that would NOT feed any rounds from the magazine. Too bad Charlie, better luck next time. OOP
I bought a used No.1 in .404 Jeffery, custom barrel job. Factory stock had several small cracks in the wrist. I offered to pay to have them restock it. NADA. Not interested. OOP and rebarreled.
I like Ruger stuff, but I dont much care for their customer service, unless its current production. Ruger employs parts assemblers, not gunsmiths.

Years ago, I had a Ruger 77 with tang safety, .458 Win mag, that had the same issue. After pulling the action, I found the issue was just chipping. I glass bedded the action and the forward recoil lug. Additionally I created a small gap at the back of the tang so it wouldn’t contact the stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!