Ruger RSM Uh-oh?

Daniel Cary

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Bought New in 2003
Fired 20 Rounds through it @ Best & Hasn't Been Shot in 7yrs.

I just Noticed this? .. It's a raised area on the Finish. Did this crack? Almost as if a Wood Putty had been used before they finished & stained it! Any Help, sincerely appreciated .. Is it Safe?
crack.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll give you $1,000 for it as is, so you don’t have to worry about it. That way you can just move on.

On an unrelated note, I look forward to hearing what the knowledgeable members here think may be the culprit and fix for something similar to what can be seen in the image above.

I'd pull the action and then assess the area to see if it is deeper than what it looks. I have see where the area around the tang wasn't cleaned up enough and split a small piece off of it in the same area. Those rifles were just fine and the owners either just left it alone or refinished the stock and cleaned up the split area.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.40.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.40.17 AM.png
    517.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.40.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 7.40.19 AM.png
    470.9 KB · Views: 55
@Daniel Cary

Numrich has several in stock - you will just need the medallions and end cap from the old stock.

You could bed that stock and have a beater/hunting stock….. and is that the .458Lott?
Thank you! 458 indeed,

Any Gunsmith suggestions
Thank you!

I'd pull the action and then assess the area to see if it is deeper than what it looks. I have see where the area around the tang wasn't cleaned up enough and split a small piece off of it in the same area. Those rifles were just fine and the owners either just left it alone or refinished the stock and cleaned up the split area.
Agree... pull and assess. Clean out around tang. May just be superficial! Glass bed. It's a little different bedding than usual and I have done it. Also, may consider having the neck reinforced with carbon fiber or steel rod through wrist. By the way... shooting off a lead sled with heavy weights? The Ruger stocks are very good Circassian walnut.

It appears from the pic that the rear tang has made contact with the wood under recoil even though there is a gap between tang and stock. Check that nothing has fallen into that gap and as has been stated, take it to a competent smith for bedding.

It appears from the pic that the rear tang has made contact with the wood under recoil even though there is a gap between tang and stock. Check that nothing has fallen into that gap and as has been stated, take it to a competent smith for bedding.
Totally agree. The bedding is complicated as the action is in contact with a plate that is set in the wood. No direct receiver to wood bedding contact. The Ruger is nose heavy but mine is a tack driver in 416 Rigby. Only limitation is two in the mag.

Seems odd. Usually cracks there are not feathergrain like that, but an actual crack. Plus the gap would normally negate cracks in the area.
My concern with any tang area cracks are what caused it. Often it means the recoil lug area forward has let go or cracked as well, thus requiring repairs and bedding.
First step is take it apart and assess what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakeela

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]