Ruger No. 1 Upgrades

Thanks, that's the exact info I was looking for!

Any opinion on NECG's Ghost sight?

Best regards,

None in particular. A lot of people love them. Mark at NECG has a lot of high quality, high vis front and rear sights to create a very good express sight setup for the #1 as well.

For me, I was always an optics guy. The Swaro Z6 1-6 EE fits beautifully on the ruger #1 and provides better light gathering at 1x than any iron sight arrangement and is just as fast on the acquisition.

I'm hoping for some input from the knowledgeable members here. I recently picked up a nice No.1 in 375 H&H and want to do a couple of minor mods to it.

First: Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of the NECG Universal recoil pad vs. the Pachmayr Decelerator? I want to increase LOP a bit as well as recoil absorption.

Second: I've gotten to the age where the rear sight is getting a bit fuzzy so I'm considering the NECG Ghost sight. Does anyone have experience with this sight on a No.1?

Best regards,
I have a NECG receiver sight for a .458 Lott #1. I believe they have changed the design since I purchased mine. The screw in aperture locks the elevation of the ghost ring.
The original folding rear sight is useless. The only issue is that if I need to remove the scope, I’d have to take the time to attach the peep. I’d like a fixed V blade instead that would already be in place if I needed to remove the scope. However, I see a peep a lot better than a blade rear.
I also replaced the original front small brass bead with a larger white bead. What make, I don’t recall.

It seems to me that the #1 is a good hobby gun for hunters that prefer to tinker rather than hunt.

We all need a hobby!

IMO the Jard trigger is a significant upgrade over the Ruger trigger.

It seems to me that the #1 is a good hobby gun for hunters that prefer to tinker rather than hunt.

We all need a hobby!

Not as much a hobby gun as a gun of the people. Most cannot afford $5000-$25000 for a best gun. A working man can get a Ruger #1 and upgrade it over the course of 10 to 20 years ending with potentially a best quality gun.

This contrasted to say a Savage or Remage where a guy starts with a $300 gun and spends $5000 to end up with a $300 gun.

Rockhawk,
I agree with your example.

It is that in remembering my Winchesters, the main thing needed was a Leupold Scope and ammo for 1953 Model 70 .308. Same for Ruger 77 .338 Win Mag which was already scoped, Magnaported, and bedded.
No scope needed for my 1886,1892, or 1895 Winnies.

My two used big bore double rifles came with scopes and cases, so very little hobby value there.

I guess that is due to buying used rifles that have already been hunted. And in some cases already been tuned, leaving room for rather modest additions.

We all need a hobby!
Tinker! Tinker!....Seems Beretta double rifle owners are similarly afflicted...LOL

I put Ruger express sights on for about $30 and a decorator for about the same $. I don't think it's working. Maybe I need to tinker some more?

I put the Law safety on my .375 #1 because I was worried about the scope causing the empty to hang up in the breech. The. 458 Lott doesn't have any issues clearing the breech and me when ejected past the stock safety. I just think the OEM piece looks poorly. I do believe people will just imagine a problem to justify a solution.

Tinker! Tinker!

Last edited:
A timely bit of humor!
No further comments from me on the Beretta until Aaron Little finishes with it.

The biggest issue to be addressed with a Ruger No 1 is scope position. I have solved it on my .275 with a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 EE. The combination of straight tube And extended eye relief allows perfect scope alignment. I would be interested in how others are addressing this issue.

I had a 450-400NE 3" for a while, only thing I modded on it was the pad, put a Limbsaver on it. Ran cast bullets out of it at 320gr and 400gr, worked well. I used a swaro Z3 1-4 on it, no issues with mounts, just used the Ruger rings. It was a toy to play with for a while, had some fun, lerned a lot, eventually got bored, sold it. Always have to have one #1 around though, still have one in 7-08.

I have a NECG receiver sight for a .458 Lott #1. I believe they have changed the design since I purchased mine. The screw in aperture locks the elevation of the ghost ring.
The original folding rear sight is useless. The only issue is that if I need to remove the scope, I’d have to take the time to attach the peep. I’d like a fixed V blade instead that would already be in place if I needed to remove the scope. However, I see a peep a lot better than a blade rear.
I also replaced the original front small brass bead with a larger white bead. What make, I don’t recall.
Depending on what you want to do there are fixed rear sights available from Ruger. The issue is that I have such a high rear sight from the gun shooting so LOW at first. I am running a .250 brass bead lowest available with a big bead that I know of and a .3 or .4 tall rear. It's on at 50 yards by bench or by offhand, but anything higher and the cheek weld is compromised. It's like 7-9 inches low at 200 yards which is max range anyway and likely a bit optimistic.

@rookhawk who did the work on your custom safties. I liike the look and I am sure the functionality is there. I have a trop on my 450/400.

I have a long LOP so was able to track down a couple sets of ruger offset scoe rings a couple years ago that help get a scope back to where I can use it. I always have to get one with the longest eye relief in a standard scope. Not one of those designed for a scout type rifle.

One of the serious limitations of the #1 is the location of the mounts on the quarter rib. Finding a scope that works is hard, longer LOP and it’s near impossible. I have begged Talley to make a quarter rib for the #1 to move the mounts back while allowing for Talley rings.
There are replacement picatinny rails available for the No1, some with a 20 minute taper; can't remember the Maker. My one complaint is the butt-stock shape, might need to be "straighter" from comb to heel, depending on your scope mount setup. A couple of mine have had various mods ...

Depending on what you want to do there are fixed rear sights available from Ruger. The issue is that I have such a high rear sight from the gun shooting so LOW at first. I am running a .250 brass bead lowest available with a big bead that I know of and a .3 or .4 tall rear. It's on at 50 yards by bench or by offhand, but anything higher and the cheek weld is compromised. It's like 7-9 inches low at 200 yards which is max range anyway and likely a bit optimistic.
?Skinner sights?

In rereading this thread, I have noticed that one person talked of a peep sight.

Did anyone ever change the open sights to something more useful while sticking to irons? I've got a .458 Lott now and I really don't want to go the scope route. The hard thing I am trying to find is the rear sight. Who makes a good fixed 3/8 dovetail rear sight?
again: Skinner sights .

?Skinner sights?

again: Skinner sights .
Solved this problem very simply. Called Ruger and got a fixed rear sight.
It was very cheap. I think the set of sights cost me like $30.

received_319902639945362.jpeg

I am in the final stages of prepping a Ruger No. 1 - but in 25-'06 for Coues deer hunting here in Arizona. I made some changes...

Used a 25" Brux barrel
Installed a Jard trigger
Added a barrel mounted forend hanger
Replaced the action screw so that the head is flush with the side of the action (aesthetics)
Restocked to fit me with a scope w/ Talley fixed rings
Removed factory rear sight and fitted the scope mount blocks onto the barrel
Reshaped some of the action

Almost all of this work was unnecessary in regards to accuracy, but it was done to make it look and function better for my purposes. It is awaiting engraving now...

image2.jpeg

I am in the final stages of prepping a Ruger No. 1 - but in 25-'06 for Coues deer hunting here in Arizona. I made some changes...

Used a 25" Brux barrel
Installed a Jard trigger
Added a barrel mounted forend hanger
Replaced the action screw so that the head is flush with the side of the action (aesthetics)
Restocked to fit me with a scope w/ Talley fixed rings
Removed factory rear sight and fitted the scope mount blocks onto the barrel
Reshaped some of the action

Almost all of this work was unnecessary in regards to accuracy, but it was done to make it look and function better for my purposes. It is awaiting engraving now...

View attachment 444704

I’ve been thinking about that exact build. What scope/lop is allowing you to get proper eye relief without crawling the stock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hong542141

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg