Ruger No. 1 Upgrades

Well the sights I mounted are no bueno. I need a shorter front sight or a taller rear. I would really love to know the sight heights in the Boddington .450 NE No. 1's.

I have sorted the sight issue out on the Lott. I just need to become a bit more accustomed to the rifle and figure out the left impact. I have also fitted a Pacmayr XLT Trap recoil pad and this has tames the beast a great deal. I fired ten consecutive rounds today without the Caldwell pad and have no lasting sensations. 74gr of H4895 under a 500gr RNSP seated to the cannelure. I have perfected the roll crimp and seating depth in the second reloading.
IMG_20200113_183011.jpg
IMG_20200113_162658108.jpg
IMG_20200113_193708924.jpg

Today I finally got the sights sorted. I have been busy playing with my .375's and have neglected this rifle. Here we have today's shots from the bench at 50 yards. Two high and left prompting a sight adjustment from a .481 rear to a .441 rear and a drift to the right. Next three shots were a bit rewarding. Last two rounds almost touching. I'm touching nothing, except for my shoulder. This rifle is a bear off the bench.
IMG_20200511_144036724.jpg

So after a while of shooting this little rifle I am inclined to give up on the Limbsaver and look into fitting a Decelerator XLT. The Limbsaver just doesn't seem to be working as well to deaden the recoil. Of course I am using the newer Airtech model which also does quite a bit to detract from the aesthetics.
Forrest Halley
I fit the Decelerator XLT MAGNUM to all my rifles. On the light kicker it to increase the length of pull and on the heavier kickers for the same reason as well a softening the recoil
I find they work better than limbsaver FOR ME.
Bob

Nice group. I have been down this road and have spent hours with my .404, 470, and 500-416. I shoot them fine. But I finally realized I already had a superior solution at hand for the hunting I did in Africa - the .375. I use it not because I have recoil management issues or because of any accuracy reason, but because I realized it was a superior choice.

Best of luck with your rifle.

Last edited:
Forrest Halley
I fit the Decelerator XLT MAGNUM to all my rifles. On the light kicker it to increase the length of pull and on the heavier kickers for the same reason as well a softening the recoil
I find they work better than limbsaver FOR ME.
Bob
Bob,
I have fitted both my .375 and .458 with them. I appreciate the increased LOP. Limbsaver is trash or rubbish as you Aussies might say.

Nice group. I have been down this road and have spent hours with my .404, 470, and 500-416. I shoot them fine. But I finally realized I already had a superior solution at hand for the hunting I did in Africa - the .375. I use it not because I have recoil management issues or because of any accuracy reason, but because I realized it was a superior choice.

Best of luck with your rifle.
I am enjoying the challenge and the blast and the noise. I am very aware that I have sufficient capacity in my .375s. They are ballistic magic. I've a beautiful older No. 1 and a Portuguese Model 70. They're highly effective and the Winchester fits me very well. I am shopping for a bigger scope for it now. Thank you for your encouragement.

I decided to shoot some Nosler Partition today standing offhand at 50y. I was fair for three rounds and then it fell apart for the other two. I'm lower than I'd like with the factory. That's probably just me.

IMG_20200512_141223548.jpg

Does anyone know where to find the replacement safeties these days? I’m not sure if legandary is still open. I called and their greeting message was rather dated….

Does anyone know where to find the replacement safeties these days? I’m not sure if legandary is still open. I called and their greeting message was rather dated….

Site looks OK, you could just order up on line.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.42.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.42.07 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.42.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.42.08 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 91

Site looks OK, you could just order up on line.

This is a great product. The OEM safety on the #1 is awful. Its investment cast, it is sloppy, it interferes with ejection on some calibers. On all the custom ruger #1s I've owned they milled the safety area and built a valley, then put in a milled safety to operate in that track, just to get the safety low and smooth. Dakota Model 10s also do this to avoid the problem. Heym Double rifles have this.

This product @sestoppelman referenced should be first priority for anyone using a ruger #1 on large or dangerous game.

This is a great product. The OEM safety on the #1 is awful. Its investment cast, it is sloppy, it interferes with ejection on some calibers. On all the custom ruger #1s I've owned they milled the safety area and built a valley, then put in a milled safety to operate in that track, just to get the safety low and smooth. Dakota Model 10s also do this to avoid the problem. Heym Double rifles have this.

This product @sestoppelman referenced should be first priority for anyone using a ruger #1 on large or dangerous game.
You mentioned strop in an earlier post, did you mean Trop? Do you know if they still sell them?

You mentioned strop in an earlier post, did you mean Trop? Do you know if they still sell them?

I think I did a typo, it was Trop. Craig Boddington co-designed a ruger #1 safety with them. I don't see it online anymore?

Interestingly, the Legendary safety listed above is from the same region of Pennsylvania as the Trop. I believe we are looking at 2.0 of the Trop marketed by the same gunsmith that worked for Trop.

Pics of custom safeties done to Ruger #1s to prevent the risk of getting stomped on while dealing with a stuck cartridge.

IMG_0511 2.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

Bonus pic of some of the custom #1s I've built or owned showing the art of the possible. I know of no other modern off-the-shelf firearm at the $1000 pricepoint that can be converted into a best quality gun. Sky is the limit on what can be done to a Ruger #1 because the bones are good.

IMG_0725.JPG

I think I did a typo, it was Trop. Craig Boddington co-designed a ruger #1 safety with them. I don't see it online anymore?

Interestingly, the Legendary safety listed above is from the same region of Pennsylvania as the Trop. I believe we are looking at 2.0 of the Trop marketed by the same gunsmith that worked for Trop.
Ok thanks,

I’ll try and get ahold of them

Pics of custom safeties done to Ruger #1s to prevent the risk of getting stomped on while dealing with a stuck cartridge.

View attachment 440782
View attachment 440783

Bonus pic of some of the custom #1s I've built or owned showing the art of the possible. I know of no other modern off-the-shelf firearm at the $1000 pricepoint that can be converted into a best quality gun. Sky is the limit on what can be done to a Ruger #1 because the bones are good.

View attachment 440784
What a lovely set of triplets!

I'm hoping for some input from the knowledgeable members here. I recently picked up a nice No.1 in 375 H&H and want to do a couple of minor mods to it.

First: Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of the NECG Universal recoil pad vs. the Pachmayr Decelerator? I want to increase LOP a bit as well as recoil absorption.

Second: I've gotten to the age where the rear sight is getting a bit fuzzy so I'm considering the NECG Ghost sight. Does anyone have experience with this sight on a No.1?

Best regards,

I'm hoping for some input from the knowledgeable members here. I recently picked up a nice No.1 in 375 H&H and want to do a couple of minor mods to it.

First: Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of the NECG Universal recoil pad vs. the Pachmayr Decelerator? I want to increase LOP a bit as well as recoil absorption.

Second: I've gotten to the age where the rear sight is getting a bit fuzzy so I'm considering the NECG Ghost sight. Does anyone have experience with this sight on a No.1?

Best regards,

NECG universals are quite good and they look like a silver's pad, a huge benefit. The Pachmayr and the Limbsavers are actually too squishy. Kind of a sloppy fit to the shoulder. Prone to snagging.

Of the Pachmayr pads, their "Old English" line was the most stable and the orange ones no longer made are quite valuable, I always save them for reuse. Between the Old English model and NECG, I'd say the NECG is more forgiving. I also like that NECG has a 1-1/4" model that gives a proportional look similar to a 1" pad if you need the length. 1.5" Silver's pads look awful by comparison.

For a Number 1 in 375HH, the NECG pad will provide very manageable recoil, you gain nothing and lose a lot going for a softer, stickier pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WLZWillie9

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!