Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am attempting to bid on a Ruger M77 MKII Safari Magnum in 458 Lott and wanted some opinions on that rifle in this caliber. I may get a low bid in and get the rifle for well less than $2k, if I am lucky (generally not haha, but even if I fail to win this one, I will keep hunting). I am also curious as to upgrades that can be done to the RSM and who one might go to for the work. For some reason I am determined to get and RSM, partially because I always have liked Ruger and these are supposed to be the best rifles they every built. This is also a potential "affordable" in road for a true big bore rifle. I already have a model 70 in 375 H&H.
I have searched and read, on here and elsewhere, as much I could find about this rifle and caliber, just wanted more personal opinions.

That is good price for it. I have a few that i wont sell it for less than 3k+ (NIB). Make sure the gun is in good shape. The action and barrel are the most important with no RUST. YOU CAN GET NEW STOCK FROM NUMRICH FOR 2 TO 3 HUNDRED DOLLARS. NEED MORE INFO PM ME. I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU WITH WHAT I KNOW.
KRISH

That is good price for it. I have a few that i wont sell it for less than 3k+. Make sure the gun is in good shape. The action and barrel are the most important with no RUST. YOU CAN GET NEW STOCK FROM NUMRICH FOR 2 TO 3 HUNDRED DOLLARS. NEED MORE INFO PM ME. I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU WITH WHAT I KNOW.
KRISH
Most I have found are $2500 plus and I am only looking for the 416 Rigby or 458 Lott. I am a deal seeker, so if I win for less than 2k I will consider myself successful!

They are solid but Ruger no longer makes it…so parts are scarce. Some had triggers that were odd…think Glock pull length.

Most of the rsm's came with newer LC4 TRIGGERS.. Before 1989 they had different triggers.
KRISH

I think they are functional, but also collectible. I vaguely remember looking at them in the 2000s on the internet and thinking how cool they were. Unaffordable for a teenager at the time though.

H
That is good price for it. I have a few that i wont sell it for less than 3k+ (NIB). Make sure the gun is in good shape. The action and barrel are the most important with no RUST. YOU CAN GET NEW STOCK FROM NUMRICH FOR 2 TO 3 HUNDRED DOLLARS. NEED MORE INFO PM ME. I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU WITH WHAT I KNOW.
KRISH
Hi Krish,
Do you know anyone who makes a synthetic stock for the old Ruger (tang safety) .458 lott.

Ruger 458 lott was not made in Tang safty that i know of. 458 lott in RSM was last to be made in RSM series. At one time I asked McMillen. They said send the gun to them and it will take 18 months to make the fiberglass stock.
Krish

Ruger 458 lott was not made in Tang safty that i know of. 458 lott in RSM was last to be made in RSM series. At one time I asked McMillen. They said send the gun to them and it will take 18 months to make the fiberglass stock.
Krish
18 days would be ok.

HWL

I think they are functional, but also collectible. I vaguely remember looking at them in the 2000s on the internet and thinking how cool they were. Unaffordable for a teenager at the time though.
I understand, not affordable for a teenager at the time. Most of my gun purchases then, were Ruger, Mini-14, Blackhawk, 77/22.

I have owned the Ruger RSM in all 3 calibers, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 Lott.

The 458 Lott I should have kept, as the weight was 9.5 pounds and balanced perfectly. The 375 H&H was just too heavy, and the 416 Rigby was a beast in recoil.

When I had the Ruger 458 Lott, I only fired 458 Win Mag. 500 grain solids, and 400 grain Woodleigh softs at 2300 fps (al a 400 Jeffery loads.

I did not shoot 458 Lott, as the recoil was enough for me.

It was very comfortable to shoot, and both loads hit to the sights at 50 yards.

I would check to insure the inletting in the tang, and the rest of the stock is correct for a big bore.

Anyone have thoughts on this listing? Gun looks a little rough, rust and tarnish and beaten up wood, but I am not sure what it would cost to have the metal cleaned up and refinished. Are they asking too much for the condition? There is another RSM for a couple hundred more (second link) with good finish but a small crack in the wood behind the tang.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932224845 (bad finish)
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/934564541 (good finish)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.47.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.47.45 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.47.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.47.47 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.47.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 3.47.49 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
Anyone have thoughts on this listing? Gun looks a little rough, rust and tarnish and beaten up wood, but I am not sure what it would cost to have the metal cleaned up and refinished. Are they asking too much for the condition? There is another RSM for a couple hundred more (second link) with good finish but a small crack in the wood behind the tang.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932224845 (bad finish)
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/934564541 (good finish)
The first listing had been there for some time. I looked at it. Magnified the pictures. Too much rust on it. You can clearly see it at the muzzle. The blueing originally is a special hot process. Expensive to duplicate.
Krish

Well i have one NIB. if you are seriously interested. Can do it for $3100.00 FOR YOU..I WAS GOING TO LIST IT FOR 3299.00 ON GUN BROKER. You pay shipping of $100.00 from my ffl to your ffl.
Krish

That seems like a darn good offer. Can you PM me some pictures, if it's not too much trouble? No rush. I appreciate your time in answering my questions/responding to my posts!

Captain Munro, that is a seriously great price on a NIB Ruger Magnum .458 Lott.

The wood on this is nicer than the one I sold a couple years ago, due to Covid. As stated in my earlier posts, it is the best handling of the 3 calibers.

I wouldn't think too long on this. I looked at the 2 Gunbroker postings, would not consider the rusty one, the $2850 one does not have as nice wood, and this one is pristine for only $350 more and NIB!

Bump for Krish and a really fine rifle.

Captain Munro, that is a seriously great price on a NIB Ruger Magnum .458 Lott.

The wood on this is nicer than the one I sold a couple years ago, due to Covid. As stated in my earlier posts, it is the best handling of the 3 calibers.

I wouldn't think too long on this. I looked at the 2 Gunbroker postings, would not consider the rusty one, the $2850 one does not have as nice wood, and this one is pristine for only $350 more and NIB!

Bump for Krish and a really fine rifle.
Thank you. @cajunchefray
I can sell you another NIB FOR THE SAME PRICE. AS GOOD AS THIS ONE.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kendra49F

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.