Ruger M77 Hawkeye 9.3x62 For Sale

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
Selling my Ruger Hawkeye 9.3x62. I am the original owner - still have the box. The rifle has been somewhat modified. The front and rear sights have been upgraded with NECG sights. The buttstock has been fitted with an Edwards recoil reducer and an oversize "Limbsaver" pad has been fitted. Otherwise rifle presents in 98% condition with less than 100rds fired. No scope ever fitted so cannot comment on accuracy - shoots fine with iron sights.
The rifle comes with 120rds factory soft point ammo (40 Sellier & Bellot; 80 PrviPartizan). $1500 for rifle and ammo. Shipping costs (ammo shipped separately) to be determined. (Cabelas has identical rifle on GI for $2,495). I have more photos available.
_DSC0001 (1)r.JPG
_DSC0004 (1)r.JPG
_DSC0005 (1)r.JPG
_DSC0008 (1)r.JPG

In regards to the above listing, I also installed a Wolff "Blitzshnell" Speed-Lock strike spring in place of the notoriously weak factory spring. To further clarify, this is the Hawkeye "African" version.

Thanks for looking.

Why did you do all the recoil stuff? I had one of these and recall it being pretty well mannered.
GLWS

In typical Ruger mentality, at 7 1/2 pounds the rifle was built too light for the caliber, not to mention the crappy excuse for a recoil pad Ruger uses on almost all of their centerfire rifles. I am certainly not recoil shy as I own heavy rifles up to including a factory built 500 ASq and a Verney Carron 600 NE, and trust me, neither are "safe queens." The rifle in question should have been built at a minimum of 8 1/2 pounds with a decent recoil pad. No sense getting beat up.

Another example on the Ruger mentality. I have a Ruger No. 1 Boddington African edition "Elephant" chambered in 450 3 1/4. Believe it or not, it also came in at 7 1/2 pounds. It was nearly uncontrollable with full house Hornady loads. It got the same treatment. Interestingly, the box came with a picture of Boddington holding the rifle - wonder if ever actually shot one?

I have always given Ruger a lot credit for innovations and creativity, but they seem at times to come up a bit short on common sense. I personally raised the recoil pad issue with a Ruger representative at the 2020 DSC convention. He didn't really seem interested in even listening.

One last comment on the Hawkeye 9.3 - many members on this site seem enamored with the 9.3, partially on the basis that it is nearly as potent as the venerable H&H 375, with maybe a tad less recoil. It was popular in the day in Africa because it was typically chambered in more affordable Mauser rifles from Germany and otherwise. I don't think many of us would be fond of a 7 1/2 pound .375.

Your Hawkeye wood is just a touch lighter than what's on my Lipsey's edition 9.3mm

I'm currently using a slip-on Limbsaver to accommodate my mutant length arms until I can locate a 'smith I can trust not to foul up a permanent replacement. Probably will go red.

You're right about the base weight being 7 1/2 lbs. Mine with steel rings, scope, and loaded magazine is 8 1/2 lbs. Perfect.

Ruger does insist on going skimpy on pads, thats a fact!

Hard to find a gunsmith who can properly fit a recoil pad and nicely finish same. Limbsaver makes a number of "prefitted" pads for various common rifles, including Rugers, which is what is on the Hawkeye. It takes a little final finishing. It is not perfect, but then I am not a stock fitter at Holland and Holland.

Your Hawkeye wood is just a touch lighter than what's on my Lipsey's edition 9.3mm

I'm currently using a slip-on Limbsaver to accommodate my mutant length arms until I can locate a 'smith I can trust not to foul up a permanent replacement. Probably will go red.

You're right about the base weight being 7 1/2 lbs. Mine with steel rings, scope, and loaded magazine is 8 1/2 lbs. Perfect.
I never scoped the rifle, so that obviously adds weight.

I think Ruger's rationale on the recoil pad was it was designed for hunting and not so much for shooting.

I have a 7.5# 375H&H I like very much. I had a 7# 9.3X62 that I should never have sold. I've never warmed up to ruger's but this looks like a great setup that I'm sure will make someone happy. Good stock design and good shooting technique makes the lighter guns very useable.

I like the sights you installed. Just wondering though if you have the originals and the original butt pad to go with it. I agree about it being hard to find a smith to install a pad correctly without damage. It's true around here at this point. Lots can do it, just need to ship the gun. Adds hassle and risk.

Too bad it isn't a lefty! Nice rifle, great price!

Hard to find a gunsmith who can properly fit a recoil pad and nicely finish same. Limbsaver makes a number of "prefitted" pads for various common rifles, including Rugers, which is what is on the Hawkeye. It takes a little final finishing. It is not perfect, but then I am not a stock fitter at Holland and Holland.
Yup. "My" gunsmith was awesome. From tiny little jobs to build-from-scratch. Awesome stock maker too. Then he took all my money I'd paid him over the decades and up and retired. Very sad.

Very, very few around now in my neck of the woods.

Puddle - He is not in your neck of the woods, but his shop can do ANYTHING with wood = Tommy Shurley of Shurley customs.

I bought my .470ne second hand in Austin and the stock was too short and I wanted to know my options and have it done right.

Tommy measured/fitted me and left the gun with him; he then expertly fitted a stabilized ebony extension and Kick-eez magnum recoil pad.

JPmbogo: sorry to interrupt your post, but I thought you might like to know about Shurley customs as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.58.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.58.28 PM.png
    7 MB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.58.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.58.30 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.58.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.58.33 PM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 175
Deewayne, I don’t want to derail the OP’s thread, but I gather this woodworker will do rifle stocks as well? His website is focused only on shotguns. His work looks spectacular.

Puddle - He is not in your neck of the woods, but his shop can do ANYTHING with wood = Tommy Shurley of Shurley customs.

I bought my .470ne second hand in Austin and the stock was too short and I wanted to know my options and have it done right.

Tommy measured/fitted me and left the gun with him; he then expertly fitted a stabilized ebony extension and Kick-eez magnum recoil pad.

JPmbogo: sorry to interrupt your post, but I thought you might like to know about Shurley customs as well.

I like the sights you installed. Just wondering though if you have the originals and the original butt pad to go with it. I agree about it being hard to find a smith to install a pad correctly without damage. It's true around here at this point. Lots can do it, just need to ship the gun. Adds hassle and risk.
Short answer is no. The rear base was used on a custom black powder rifle, the front ramp, who knows, and the pad went in the trash. I do have the original box and owner's manual.

PM sent...and bump for action!

I really like my African. It will be one of my last rifles I sell. Good luck with your sale!

This is so tempting, I may regret this in the future. I need to be strong, I have taxidermist bills to pay. :(

Bump. @JPmbogo is a solid member, I've dealt with him in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuneY37727

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.