ROMANIA: Gizmo's Romanian Hunting Adventure

With the first Roe loaded into the hunting vehicle we made tracks to the new area. It was a beautiful place; set down below a hillside a small meadow containing a corn, hay, and sunflower field with an elevated road of probably 20 feet running through the middle of it.
DSCF0691.JPG
DSCF0696.JPG
We parked the truck and walked down perching ourselves on the road to have a panoramic view of the fields around us. Two young Roe bucks were already on the field browsing. As they made their way off the field into the heavy timber on the opposite side we sat visiting and I was trying to take in all of the scenery. The wild flowers there are amazing, it looks almost as if the entire area had been landscaped and was quite picturesque.
DSCF0692.JPG
A Roe deer rub
DSCF0689.JPG
As we quietly talked a few hares came out to mill around followed by a single Roe doe. She milled around a bit and fed to the far right side of the field out of our view.
DSCF0702.JPG
After a while we stood and followed the road in the direction she went to find two more Roe does had joined her.
DSCF0704.JPG
We stood watching them and I couldn’t help but to feel like none of this was real. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Between the smell of the flowers, picturesque scenery, and fauna wondering about it was like a movie. That was the most peaceful and relaxing experience I’ve ever had. As we stood soaking in the surroundings we missed the Roe buck sneaking in the corner of the field just out of sight.

Attachments

• DSCF0703.JPG
    DSCF0703.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
Our movement caught the attention of the doe in the field and the stood at attention watching us. The closest doe barked and an immediate response was given from the buck just out of sight on the other side of the hill out of our view. We snuck back to our original spot and waited. Alein would stand up to see what progress the buck was making as he made his way onto the field. After quite some time of him browsing we decided to make a stalk as we were losing light fast.

Off the hill we went headed for the tree line to try and get a little cover to conceal our movement. We had almost made it when he popped his head up over the hill immediately spotting us. We locked the breaks up and stood motionless. He was more curious than alarmed and after what felt like an eternity he put his head down and started browsing again. We made two steps and he popped his head up to look around. Again we stopped, motionless and scarred to even breathe. This game continued for an eternity until we finally made the trees.

Once there we were able to move forward to where we could see his body. He was roughly 130 yards facing us and about that same instant he picked his head up locking on to our position. “Uh oh”, the jig is up. Now he becomes alarmed and barks. He turns broadside and is about a half of a second from wheeling around and being gone. I throw my rifle up, get him in the cross hairs, and touch off the trigger. The bullet slams into him waaaay far back spinning him like a top. He bolts off the field and into the timber. As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew I had made a bad shot. The bullet had taken him in the stomach; I was not impressed with my poor marksmanship. Now the focus was on getting on him and trying to get another shot in him. We ran to where he had stood and immediately found blood. We started tracking and into the forest we went. After 30 yards the blood stopped. Alein followed the track and I was a nervous wreck convinced we would lose him. With no blood we made a series of circles until we found more sign. Light at first then it started to pick up. As we followed the blood was heavier and heavier. We had made a hundred yards when we found a piece of intestine on the forest floor. The bullet had obviously done some damage so there maybe hope yet. Unfortunately after this it stopped. Again we made circles looking for sign. Some rustling came from in front of us and we crept forward only to come face to face with a massive Boar. We startled him and he started growling and displaying. This pig was huge, about the size of a Colorado black bear. Fortunately he figured discretion was the better part of valor and took off uprooting small saplings as he fled. A new pair of britches was in order after that. We split up trying to find our way back to the last blood we had found. I was getting anxious and worried. About 30 min later Alein yelled for me. I had managed to get myself lost in the tangle of the dark forest and followed his voice. Once I got to where I could hear what he was saying he told me to come to him. As I approached there on the forest floor was my buck, dead. A since of relief and sadness fell over me; I was beyond relief that we had found him but saddened by my poor shooting and the possibility of a lost animal. What a spectacular little deer he was though. Perfectly symmetrical with nice mass, his antlers were a good three inches taller than his ears. Two fantastic trophies in one afternoon. Now we had to get the deer out of there which wasn’t going to be any easy feat. The forest is thick and full of vines. I took the rifles and Alein grabbed the deer, we pressed on until we made our way back to the hay field. I was very glad he knew where he was going as I was so turned around by that point there is no telling where I would have ended up. Once on the field we again took time to give thanks and take pictures.
DSCF0710.JPG

More to come……

Alein and I carried the deer to the truck where we took the first out so that I could take part in a traditional Romanian hunting tradition. I was very adamant that I wanted to honor their customs and traditions, though I wasn’t wearing the appropriate attire but I’ll know for next time, and Alein told me he’d be glad to put me through the last meal ritual and the dedication of a first time hunter tradition. Once we placed the Roe on the ground facing each other Alein took some branches and placed then in the deer’s mouths for the last meal. He then took some leaves and smeared them in the blood of each deer. After presenting these to me he took a switch and struck me. The idea behind all this is first, presenting the animal with it’s last meal. Second, presenting the blood smeared greenery is giving possession of the animal to me. Lastly the idea behind the switch is to honor the animal for the pain and sacrifice it made. It was a very moving ceremony and I was glad to have had the honor to have had the opportunity to take part in it. Once this was finished we took some more photos and headed back to the lodge with both Roe deer in tow.
DSCF0715.JPG
Alein with both deer
DSCF0712.JPG

Very nice! Three of my four outings was with Alien, very good lad. It also happened to be the three times I took my Roe deer. In all fairness though too the one evening I hunted without Alien I had opportunities I didn't take.

Was he sporting his new Mod 70 300 win mag?

I share your fondness for this place, to me too it was a magical experience. You have shared your trip very eloquently, thank you.

Stay tuned folks a whole lot more to come but i need to get some work done.

Very nice! Three of my four outings was with Alien, very good lad. It also happened to be the three times I took my Roe deer. In all fairness though too the one evening I hunted without Alien I had opportunities I didn't take.

Was he sporting his new Mod 70 300 win mag?

I share your fondness for this place, to me too it was a magical experience. You have shared your trip very eloquently, thank you.
Thank you, Alein is a great man and became a good friend. The rifle was his Model 70 in 30 06. I used Horia's Savage in 30 06.

Fantastic buddy..

WELL DONE.

Well for my first post here I will just echo GIZMO. I returned from this hunt a few weeks ago and can not say enough good things about Horia and crew. Using one of their firearms will certainly save you some bucks and hassle but I had to take my pre 64 model 70 fwt 270 along. And the Palinka, you won't forget if you can still remember.
View attachment 154187
I love everything about and found some new friends in the process.
View attachment 154184
View attachment 154186
View attachment 154183
View attachment 154185

not too bad a first post ;) and welcome aboard :D Beers:

Good stuff! Yep, I definitely need to break up with Africa for a year to make a trip over for some of these experiences!

Gizmo,

Ok you've got my attention! Looks like a really neat place to go. I'd like to know more about the outfitter and costs etc at some point. I've always wanted a Roe buck.

Regards,
Philip

Gizmo,

Ok you've got my attention! Looks like a really neat place to go. I'd like to know more about the outfitter and costs etc at some point. I've always wanted a Roe buck.

Regards,
Philip
Thanks buddy, if you'd like pm, email, or call me and I'd be glad to give more info. Also stay tuned because I'm not even half way done yet. ;)

Really good stuff Erik. Appreciate you sending the extra time to share the traditions, and those are really honorable ones that they have. I love the respect it shows.

Gizmo,

Did you see any brown bear? I did not but Horia estimated he had about 100 animals in his area.

Gizmo,

Did you see any brown bear? I did not but Horia estimated he had about 100 animals in his area.
No but we weren't looking for any either. We hunted the lower elevations which was a bit out of the bear area.

Gizmo,

This is a fantastic hunt report! I can't wait to read more! The way you described it and the pictures made me feel like I was there! You really have a knack for writing, if you ever decided to write a book about your hunting experiences, which I'm sure you will have even more of in the future it would be a best seller imho

Gizmo,

This is a fantastic hunt report! I can't wait to read more! The way you described it and the pictures made me feel like I was there! You really have a knack for writing, if you ever decided to write a book about your hunting experiences, which I'm sure you will have even more of in the future it would be a best seller imho
Dragon thank you. I sure hope you're right. I have my first book at the editor now so we'll see what happens. :Writing:

Erik,

Really enjoying your report. Congratulations on two fine bucks. Looking forward to hearing more about the hunt. Really enjoy your writing style.

Southwind,

Thanks for your post as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidaPerr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?