Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

I agree with aspects of both arrangements for and against Rolex. I will say that I couldn’t be happier with recent perches from the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation. So far my new Tudor has been on a number of adventures in a relatively short amount of time and served me well. If anyone has been considering one I highly recommend it. No waiting list required.

IMG_9141.jpeg

i have:
Datejust 1601
GMT Master 2 “batman”
explorer 2
1680 submariner

i wasnt a huge rolex fan when i got into watches, but grew into it. i wear the explorer 2 as my daily wearer. took the oyster bracelet off and put a leather strap on it.

im also a huge IWC fan

View attachment 602837
Looking at the numbers on the outside ring, I now understand why some Chinese knock-offs like San Martin and Pagani Design GMTs are numbered that way. 18 through 8 face out while 10-16 face inwards. The Chinese are really good at copying the looks of a watch even if it doesn't always make sense.

Personally, I'd rather have all numbers on the outside ring facing out like on a Bulova Oceanographer GMT or the Glycine Airtimer GMT.

I really only ever wanted a stainless Submariner, but I just inherited a stainless/gold Datejust.

Pandora's box may have swung open...

I really only ever wanted a stainless Submariner, but I just inherited a stainless/gold Datejust.

Pandora's box may have swung open...
yep. its an itch that is hard to scratch lol
rolex:
1680 submariner
gmt master 2 “batman”
explorer 2
datejust 1601

IWC:
classic pilots chronograph
mark xvi
gts stainless.

its a slippery slope, my friend.

I also inherited enough $ to get an 18K watch...

Another Sub or a GMT Master???

I will probably invest most of it on wild women and booze, and maybe just blow the rest of it!

I love it that this Rolex bashing thread has lasted for months!

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority in this but I totally dig that watch. A company like Rolex letting their hair down and having a little fun is stellar.
I understand, it's different.
But everyone will certainly wonder, ask "what kind of watch is that" ?
Just to reply "It's a Rolex! ;) "

1717641365483.png

I also inherited enough $ to get an 18K watch...

Another Sub or a GMT Master???
You already got the Rolex, use that money for a hunt!

Wow, dealing with Rolex is like trying to join a secret society! The "neither confirm nor deny" line seriously? It's a watch, not state secrets! And waiting months just to see if they'll make it? Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, your Garmin Tactix Delta is out there surviving hunts and probably giving GPS coordinates to lost Rolex sales reps. Stick with your Garmin at least it doesn’t require a treasure hunt to buy one! Thanks for the laugh and the warning!

interesting thread to read. My experience with watches was similar to other military personnel in the thread. When I joined in the early 1980s my mentors were Vietnam or Beirut veterans. Their advice was buy the best quality knife, watch and kit you can afford. When the $h!t is getting real it won't fail. As a young Marine I had a Bulova purchased at the MCRD PX, used it for the first 3 years, then I upgraded to a Seiko Automatic Dive watch, first of two I used through desert storm, central America and the rest of the 90's. I always carried two watches, one on my wrist and one on my LBE, doing demo I preferred the stopwatch on a G-shock but didn't like noisy alarms when patrolling so the Seiko was on my wrist. Coincidentally while I was just a straight up Marine grunt and combat engineer, I also liked good quality knives, had a couple of Randall's over the years a model one and a 14 attack with the border patrol handle but ultimately went with a custom blade from Allen Elishewitz traded from a SF buddy.
When Iraq kicked off I purchased a good Longines Hydro Conquest automatic. Served me well for the rest of my career seeing service in Iraq and Afghanistan x2. When I retired I received my Rolex, a date just, because my wife said I wasn't allowed to wear a military watch anymore! I wore it everyday for 10 years but currently it sits in the safe, I purchased an Omega Speed Master because it is a the watch that NASA trusted and it is pretty damn cool. My watches have been and always will be worn regardless of what I am doing hunting, forging blades, building fence, working colts, BBQing, I own them because they are dependable and still meet the advice I received over 40 years ago, buy the best quality knife, watch and kit you can afford. When the $h!t is getting real it won't fail. PS why I still have, carry and love my SIG P226 I purchased brand new over 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Agreed on the 226 also, talk about a never fail workhorse. The "Made in W. Germany" stamp always makes me smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deelahmad

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?