Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

When I switched jobs in oct of 2022 I stopped by the jeweler and got my wife a set of earrings, while there I of course walked by the Rolex display case with the exhibition only watches and made a comment about one. 3 weeks pass and they call me (phone didnt ring and i got the voice mail 2 days later due to the poor cell service) while Im sitting in my treestand during a snowstorm for the Michigan deer rifle season. I texted the sales lady and she said she had a watch for me and i had to pick it up by the next day.View attachment 592186 I left camp next day and it hasnt left my wrist since. I hunt, golf and fish with it.
Regardless, of why, etc .. that's a sharp machine!

well, .. back to the op.
1710107674821.png

Two comments for this thread.

First, a large percentage of everyone you know who doesn't hunt Africa, thinks you are something of a snob, to a degree a Rolex could never accomplish. To most people it just has a rich guy killing endangered species for sport look. And to the average Rem 700 deer hunter, our R8s and custom rifles seem like a Rolex or Patek.

I know Rolex are nearly impossible to buy these days from dealers. But not third parties. Most dealers are selling stock to the grey market because they can charge more than MSRP. Grey market dealers can get anything you want for a price. Other Rolex dealers tie a purchase to jewelry or multi watch purchases. It's hardly just Rolex. Patek stainless watches are well over $100K these days. Rolex and Patek claim to be trying stop the practices of dealers but they aren't trying or being effective.

It's not just watches. Bentley, Ferrari, even some Mercedes dealers are also making first time buyers make multiple purchases to get the hot cars.

Yep it's be a lot easier if you could just order what you want, wait 9 months and then pick it up. But few lux goods work that way. Because scarcity breeds desire in a lot of people. And it results in rising resale prices.

There are a lot of people who try to find happiness in lux items. I am not one of them but I do where a Skydweller much of the time. For me it was a better GMT than a regular GMT. It doesn't get babied. But more often than not, I wear an Apple Watch for health monitoring reasons, as well as tracking/guidance in the field. Gaia on the watch, as well as Global Rescue is great stuff.

The real sleepers for people who want a very nice watch for a reasonable price, look at Omega, Grand Seiko (better than Rolex or PP), TAG, Tudor, Bell & Ross. Or the Apple Watch/Garmin

Just remember expensive big game hunting has the same image as any luxury item.
I was with you till you said grand seiko is “better than Patek.” I guess If you mean it will keep more accurate time. Ha

Btw. I like GS
IMG_1898_Original.jpeg

It's okay. I could care less about appliances; I needed a new microwave. Fascinated by this oven .. of course, it's $5K.

1710111690098.png

I don't even cook, I just warm things up?

Last edited:
. . . I know Rolex are nearly impossible to buy these days from dealers. But not third parties. Most dealers are selling stock to the grey market because they can charge more than MSRP. Grey market dealers can get anything you want for a price. Other Rolex dealers tie a purchase to jewelry or multi watch purchases. It's hardly just Rolex. Patek stainless watches are well over $100K these days. Rolex and Patek claim to be trying stop the practices of dealers but they aren't trying or being effective. . .

Rolex now owns Bucherer and Tourneau. They could now easily apply the appropriate pressure to other AD, if they wish with their own distribution stream.

Good info. Its not a slide at all, because you were saying you won't buy a Rolex because you have better things to spend your money on like Rods and Reels. I was suspicious, about to call BS on your theory until you stated your case.

Carry On! You have excellent taste in fine tackle.
Thanks rookhawk, I expect we have quite a lot in common.
However that said, if your suspicions were aroused, simply from my disinterest in Rolex watches, while favoring well made fly rods and reels, hmmm.
If that is all it takes to nearly trigger
your BS Meter, perhaps we need to sit down for some refreshments and comedy relief.
And so, if you’re ever in Anchorage, AK., do look me up, I will buy for sure.
Likewise, if I’m ever in Illinois m,
I will look you up, same offer,
I will buy.
I appreciate your posts, you’re one of my favorite members posting in this forum.

Wow, 300 plus comments/statements concerning Rolex watches on a hunting forum! That is why I love this place! I have learned a whole bunch.

My daily wear watch is a Garmin "smart watch " that is smarter than me. My wife got it so that my heartbeat and respiration could be tracked for the cardiologist. I have figured out how to use it for a watch but not much else.

To tell the truth I would get as much use with a cheap plastic thing with a dial on it as I get from this $300 gizmo until someone needs data that my watch provides. However, as a Formula1 fan I want one of those big Rolex timepieces at the end of the pits!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks rookhawk, I expect we have quite a lot in common.
However that said, if your suspicions were aroused, simply from my disinterest in Rolex watches, while favoring well made fly rods and reels, hmmm.
If that is all it takes to nearly trigger
your BS Meter, perhaps we need to sit down for some refreshments and comedy relief.
And so, if you’re ever in Anchorage, AK., do look me up, I will buy for sure.
Likewise, if I’m ever in Illinois m,
I will look you up, same offer,
I will buy.
I appreciate your posts, you’re one of my favorite members posting in this forum.

The feeling’s mutual, stop by anytime, but not in Illinois. I’m safely behind the cheddar curtain in Western WI, about an hour from the Twin Cities. (Closest civilization if you can call it that)

The feeling’s mutual, stop by anytime, but not in Illinois. I’m safely behind the cheddar curtain in Western WI, about an hour from the Twin Cities. (Closest civilization if you can call it that)

The cheddar curtain, love it!

what kind of oven is this seems real expensive for induction and i dont see a brand?
It's a GE. (No back on it .. would need a good backsplash) 6 hardware color options for an Addl: $350

Last edited:
It's a GE. (No back on it .. would need a good backsplash) 6 metal/color options on handles/hardware for an Addl: $350

I've spent a fair amount on premium appliances over the years with a large variety of satisfaction/dissatisfaction on the appliances.

The only premium appliances I would buy at this point:

1.) Le Coureneu Range if you want to drop $25k-$45k. Or, a new or used Wolf range, ideally the 36" width. (the 36" has the largest oven capacity of any size from 30"-72" width) ($4500-$11000)

2.) SubZero fridge. Pricey, but very repairable. WORST case, you need a new compressor for a grand, but any HVAC guy can typically repair them out of warranty. I've bought them new, and I've been gifted used broken ones. (the broken one I got repaired and restored for $1100 as a 12 year old unit)

3.) Meile dishwashers. My last one died with 14,000 hours on it. That's equivalent to 7 years of full time employment washing dishes. Most luxury brands are rated 6000-8000 hours.

Specifically why I don't like your range choice:
It looks like its an induction range? You have to throw away all your pots and pans, including any good ones you might own for making good food. No flame, no visual temp control. NG or LP cooktop is how food gets cooked properly. No chef worth his salt uses electric.

Luxury appliance brands on my kill list:
Dacor, Jennaire, Viking, DCS, Fisher & Paykel, Bosch, Whirlpool Gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfhrfjrtyergdf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles