Rifle slings

MS 9x56

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
What are your preferred style and material for rifle slings? I grew up with and was trained to use the standard 1" 2 piece military style sling and use it on the majority of my rifles. I do have a ching along on my Ruger American 30-06 that I love as an aiming and steadying aid but not so much as a carry sling. Also have a couple of the neoprene style which are comfortable on the shoulder but of no use in steadying or aiming. Just interested in other people experiences and other options available.

I also like the 1” wide adjustable sling on my rifle for deer hunting locally. For carrying on the shoulder for very long such as western hunting, I use “The Claw” sling which is rubber and nylon. It is a lot more comfortable. If I am hunting in a group such as in Africa, I carry my rifle in hand. For me that is easier to walk through brush and safer for the ones around me.

Since I sell a sling accessory I find myself answering questions and get asked quite often as to what sling I recomend.
I only recomend two made in the USA slings...
1" and 1.25"

I have no use for wide slings or heavy rubber bulky slings.

Dick Murray of Murray Leather
Pat Sinclair of Montana Slings

Havent used a sling much but just bought a courteney from ASC, I like the idea of it being fairly wide to distribute the weight of a heavy double on long stalks. Will ether buy another or add one to my murray leather order depending how I like it. May never use it and just carry by the barrel but want options. Planning a hiking/rucking workout carrying my double to prep for my safari so I bet it wont take long to know lol

I have Montana Slings for all my center fire rifles (6). And one Murray Padded Cobra Sling that I use if I am going to be doing a lot of walking. That said, I am going to purchase a biathlon backpack type sling for lots of walking.

My Montana elk outfitter recommended Slogan rubber slings for their functionality. They grip the shoulder better than any other sling I've used.

This is a link to a discussion on them:

Trader Keith's canvas strap with the rubber stitching to prevent slipping from the shoulder. I have half a dozen and use them everywhere. I was trained way back in the day to shoot competitively with an adjustable sling. I personally find them of little utility in the field. The canvas rifle straps are quick to simply wrap around the support arm without attempting to slide and adjust things when in the presence of game.

I have been using them for two decades.

Slogan outdoors ! Aiming, carry, climb , crawl- they do it all !

i still have some old rem 700 slings from the 1970s 1980s.
i have tried all the cobra styles etc, and can only say the whoever designed them has never done a lot of walking and hunting.
all these fancy new slings seem to appeal to the uninitiated more than simpler is better.
bruce.

+1 on the Trader Keith’s sling. Best sling I have ever used. Like @Red Leg, I find a quick wrap more practical for hunting situations than the cinched military sling.

Trader Keith's canvas strap with the rubber stitching to prevent slipping from the shoulder. I have half a dozen and use them everywhere. I was trained way back in the day to shoot competitively with an adjustable sling. I personally find them of little utility in the field. The canvas rifle straps are quick to simply wrap around the support arm without attempting to slide and adjust things when in the presence of game.

I have been using them for two decades.

Thank you, I was not aware of this brand/style of sling. I think this might be "just the ticket" for my Ruger No. 1 with the front sling hanger on it's Mannlicher stock. I'll give them a jingle this week.

Beside having a good sling that fulfills your needs, I'd like to read comments/opinions of good sling swivels. I've used the completely threaded ones and the Uncle Mike's quick disconnect. After getting in my ladder stand I usually remove the sling from my rifle. The all-threaded ones seem more secure but end up scratching the rifle studs.

Beside having a good sling that fulfills your needs, I'd like to read comments/opinions of good sling swivels. I've used the completely threaded ones and the Uncle Mike's quick disconnect. After getting in my ladder stand I usually remove the sling from my rifle. The all-threaded ones seem more secure but end up scratching the rifle studs.

Trader Keith’s! Milled steel swivels, best quality I have found.

I only shoot using a sling (old military sling) at the range. I enjoy it. But never use it in the field to take game! Just not comfortable on my bones shoulders.
In Africa, I use an African Sporting Creations leather sling. I only carry the rifle with it. It is soft leather and very comfortable even with a ten pound rifle. I shoot off a bipod or tripod standing.
In the Colorado mountains I use a Slogan sling because it is easy on and off, comfortable , snow proof, holds up well to rocks and rough use. Oh an works OK with a pack.
In Alaska I used one of the nylon slings. It was soaking wet every day. Hung it by the fire nightly and it was dry by morning. The swivels (Uncle Mike’s) did get a bit rusty though.

I have the Dick Murray leather sling.
Very quick to adjust and quiet.
Dick is a great guy as well.

I’ve heard good things about the Trader Keith straps.
I considered getting one, but I prefer leather.
You wouldn’t go wrong with either one.

New style military 2pt that fits diagonally across the front of me. Needs a slider to pull tight for shooting position.

LRI FTW sling looks good, but I run stuff made before that and see no need to replace.

Does anyone have a good solution to attach a sling that isnt metal swivels?

My gut tells me that I'll probably carry my double without a sling but my wife will probably prefer one for her R8 but it's a custom and I'm not interested in having the gold plated studs scratched up

Andy’s Leather Rhodesian Sling

There is a difference between a rifle sling (a shooting aid that applies steadying rearward pressure to the front sling swivel and increases hit percentage when offside elbow is supported) and a rifle carry strap (piece of material to aid in carrying a rifle over the shoulder).

Usually Slings can be used as carry straps, but not vica versa. Other good options are the Galco Safari Ching Sling (good for heavier rifles), the classic military M1907 Sling, and the somewhat complicated but very interesting Galco RifleMann sling.

The sling is a great aide to the classical shooting positions, but less so for offhand or shooting from sticks. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
animalwised