Rifle slings

Beside having a good sling that fulfills your needs, I'd like to read comments/opinions of good sling swivels. I've used the completely threaded ones and the Uncle Mike's quick disconnect. After getting in my ladder stand I usually remove the sling from my rifle. The all-threaded ones seem more secure but end up scratching the rifle studs.

Tallons are the best

Does anyone have a good solution to attach a sling that isnt metal swivels?

My gut tells me that I'll probably carry my double without a sling but my wife will probably prefer one for her R8 but it's a custom and I'm not interested in having the gold plated studs scratched up
Els & Co.
Wilderness Leather Rifle Sling.
Available from African Sporting Creations.
https://www.africansportingcreations.com/wilderness-175-leather-rifle-sling.html
1607985244901.png

1607985280420.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.28.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.28.09 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.28.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 5.28.11 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 139
Like most of us, I have a few different types. Two that haven't been mentioned so far are the Safari or Boonie sling, which is great still hunting or in some country where having both hands free, but the rifle easily accessable, with minmal movement, is a big help. No use as a shooting aid or in alpine areas.

The other is the Magpul RLS. 1.25" and works fine as a carry strap AND as a shooting aid. Once the loop is adjusted (before going afield) it is very quick to sling up without cinching up the loop. Carry strap length is adjusted independently from, and without affecting the loop size. They come with plenty of length and I haven't been able to bring myself to chop the surplus off my two. Bit like shortening a barrel - easy to do - hard to undo.

For no particular reason I don't like Cobra types. Also have a simple Murray which is very traditional and nice, but of limited use as a shooting aid.

The problem that I have with a quick wrap in a carry strap is that the correct length for the wrap is seldom the same as the preferred length for carrying. The RLS solves this.

As for swivels, Recknagel trumps the quality stakes, but may not have a wide enough loop option to suit some tastes. I think the swivels that I bought from Trader Keith a few years ago are Recknagels.

I don’t think that thong will fit through a standard sling swivel stud hole. Better check before buying.
a massive super strong sling with the weak link that the thong will break long before the sling.
a marketers product more than a purchasers and users one.
bruce.

a massive super strong sling with the weak link that the thong will break long before the sling.
a marketers product more than a purchasers and users one.
bruce.
As long as it lasts a semi reasonable amount of time, doesnt matter to me. Would just have to keep an eye on the condition so it was replaced before it actually broke. I'd rather buy a new sling than scratch up a custom gun. Keep in mind I'm talking about a clients level of use, not a PH or guide.

2 inch canvas or 2 inch leather tapering to swivel size fitted with QD swivels. I much prefer hunting with folks who actually use a rifle sling/carry strap as opposed to the "African Carry".

The Els thong looks nice but is not practical, expensive and the thong will wear through in short time, I would imagine in about day 7 -9 of a 14 day Elephant hunt on foot....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.56.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.56.17 PM.png
    5 MB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.56.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.56.18 PM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.56.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.56.20 PM.png
    762.1 KB · Views: 129
IvW, I have them on rifles from 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers up through 416 Rigby in a weighted Ruger No. 1 that weighs 11.5 Lbs. These things are like Von Gruff's knives. They "take a lickin n keep on tickin."

Pity never seen them here for sale may have to email them....

IvW, several years ago I ordered a "magnum" sling which is a a little longer and built for heavier rifles. They can be purchased from http://sloganoutdoors.com/

Several years ago the now separate owners were partners. The company I mentioned first is local (about 40 miles away) but he no longer offers the magnum sling. For rifles with a barrel mounted sling stud, I'd get the magnum version.

Cool thank you

Tallons are the best
Not sure if you meant Talon.
These are 1" stainless steel with a black matte finish.
I like that they don't have an additional pivot point on the swivel.
The spring to release is very strong, you will not accidentally do it.
And it's just a push button, so screw to tighten or loosen.

I mailed this set to Dick Murray to be put on my sling.
And he reduced the price because he didn't have to use any.
1608064922283.png

Wide padded buffalo leather, narrowing to the swivel points. The leather on the outside is smooth side, suede on the other side of the padding. I have had this for ages, worn shiny with use. Made by Fereday's, you have probably never heard of them unless perhaps if you have hunted Zim and stopped off at their shop in Harare.

1949DA64-E066-432C-9AA7-77DA85FD0275.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 1.01.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 1.01.31 PM.png
    875.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 1.01.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 1.01.33 PM.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 123
Ultraflex from Slogan Outdoors .

Received my Trader sling from Trader Keith's today, I think this will work well with this Ruger No. 1. Pretty sure I'll be ordering another.

20201229_203529.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Trader Keith's canvas strap with the rubber stitching to prevent slipping from the shoulder. I have half a dozen and use them everywhere. I was trained way back in the day to shoot competitively with an adjustable sling. I personally find them of little utility in the field.

Another big thumbs up for Trader Keith. Hands down my favorite hunting sling for both carry and support while shooting.

RedLeg, I still shoot High Power competitions. Until wild game give us a three minute prep period I will stay with Trader Keith’s. :)

For all the cheap folks out there (and practical ones) a military surplus web sling is not a bad way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sptuihatdeocheotesse