Rifle is to scary for South Africa?

crackerman

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA (CA, NH, MA, ME)
On another message board someone seems to think my Fix is scary and I may have problems with SAPS.

This gun is a bolt action on .308. I have seen people take chassis rifles in videos on YouTube so I can’t for see any problems.

Is this to scary or is that person just projecting?

I am taking my CZ600 Lux in .30-06 for the traditional side.

IMG_6433.jpeg

Talk with a permit service and get a pre-approved permit. They are the ones who will tell you Yes or No. If pistols are legal I don’t see why that couldn’t be permitted.

On another message board someone seems to think my Fix is scary and I may have problems with SAPS.

This gun is a bolt action on .308. I have seen people take chassis rifles in videos on YouTube so I can’t for see any problems.

Is this to scary or is that person just projecting?

I am taking my CZ600 Lux in .30-06 for the traditional side.

View attachment 634271

I don't see a great reason to poke the bear in this circumstance. Remember, you're going to be a guest in their country.

In the US, I'd ridicule without mercy anyone who'd get their knickers in a twist over that rifle.

Sentiment, I would love to take both so they both have a "story". The pictured rifle is about a 90% of everything I do rifle so I would love for it to have its chance too.

My CZ is going to be the main star but may spend some time in the woods with me in the US to but anything east of the Mississippi is handled easily by a 16inch 308.

I'm not sure taking two 30 Cals is a good idea. Seems someone posted an issue with doing something along those lines recently.

I advise taking a smaller capacity magazine than what you show in the picture. Anything to make it less military looking.

Scary isn't the right word, but it won't look like a hunting rifle in their eyes. It could cause quite the delay, or even failure to issue the import permit.

I did send a picture to my ph and he does not for see a problem.
Send a picture to Henry at Riflepermits and he will tell you yes or no. I would trust his judgement above all else on what SAPS will allow or what they won’t.

I took a bipod to South Africa for my third safari. I found it of very limited utility and eventually removed it. I hunt the Eastern Cape and the terrain is typically either too rough or undergrowth too high or shot window opportunity too short. A bipod that quiclly extends for sitting position might be more useful but they are not pleasing to carry.

It looks like from the movie the star wars!

I don't know what kind of hunting area the action is supposed to take place in, but in some countries of Africa, permit or not in your pocket and if you also wear a camouflage suit, with such a rifle you are maybe dead. Depending what kind of stressed police or military patrol come across and whoever sees you in the binoculars, they are shooting at you.

In SA you will not have an issue. A lot of people here have chassis rifles (although not my cup of tea). Only issue is Semi Auto and Auto. Bolt action, whether in wood/chassis, no problem.

I took a bipod to South Africa for my third safari. I found it of very limited utility and eventually removed it. I hunt the Eastern Cape and the terrain is typically either too rough or undergrowth too high or shot window opportunity too short. A bipod that quiclly extends for sitting position might be more useful but they are not pleasing to carry.
@Ontario Hunter juat a note about the bipod, it’s a Javelin bipod and is held in place by a magnet so removes in just a second.

Kevin, the founder of Q firearms, has hunted Africa multiple times with a Fix. Can't remember exactly which countries though. He does have an interesting story about getting detained in South America for a significant amount of time because they thought he was going to convert it to a semi rifle, or something like that.

I also recommend using the rifle permits folks to get every thing pre approved and lessen the chances of a problem when you arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarred9422

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles