Rifle Bolt Storage

It has been proven quite often that as far as springs are concerned it doesn't matter if they are compressed or relaxed, they are just fine either way.

The one place where this might not hold true is on older rifles and pistols and the older spring styles. On those I would always relax them or remove the ammo from the clip or magazine.

It has been proven quite often that as far as springs are concerned it doesn't matter if they are compressed or relaxed, they are just fine either way.

The one place where this might not hold true is on older rifles and pistols and the older spring styles. On those I would always relax them or remove the ammo from the clip or magazine.
I would agree with that. I don't worry about the springs in my bolt action rifles, but I have a couple of lever actions that are around 100 yeas old and I always make sure the hammer is down when I put them away.

If someone has the capabilities of getting into your safe, that lock box isn't going to stop them and they may just break into it thinking that there is money inside a locked box inside of a locked safe.

For years I debated on how to store my handguns, I then found this system and it works great and takes up a lot less room than just laying the handguns on the shelf in my safe.

As for the bolts, I just leave them in the rifle. I have however came up with unique ways to store my rifles in the safe. For one thing all my rifles after they are cleaned are placed in a rifle sock before going into the safe. Then alternating how they are placed into the safe you can store a lot more in the space available before you need to upgrade the safe to a larger model.
Yep agree but legally in the uk you can’t store your rifles with the bolts in if they’re removable. Not sure what the rules are where the op is. The bolt has to be stalled in a separate locked case.

Last edited:
You can't just hold the trigger while the bolt is back, tilt the muzzle down, and watch the bolt close and lock? I mean, that's the Mannlicher Schoenauer method...

If i wanted to store the bolt separately(I could not do it myself out of principle).

I would take a piece of 1X whatever size you needed to make it across the shelf tracks that are found in most safes. I would attach 3/4" or 1" pvc pipe running front to back (either screws or worm clamps). I would mount that as close to the roof as possible to save all the room I could. That should afford you the most space savings possible.

Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?