Results of Hurricane Helene

According to GA Power, they now say "We expect your power to be restored by Oct 2 8PM." Well perhaps. We'll find out.
Pffft I don't know why I even bothered.

This is getting to be intolerable. I'm of a mind to apply for fema assistance at this point just for extra grocery money. Maybe once it's all finally complete and fixed and if nothing is abysmally ruined, I'll think about buying myself something nice...

@WebleyGreene455 , hang in there, we endured 20 days in Frederick, 14 days in Ivan and 10 in Sally, with countless others between them all.

I do have a small 5hp generator to run fridge, freezers and a fan. We keep a 20 gallon supply of gas for the generator and if I use it wisely it will last around 3 weeks. We cook with gas and charcoal.

@WebleyGreene455 , hang in there, we endured 20 days in Frederick, 14 days in Ivan and 10 in Sally, with countless others between them all.

I do have a small 5hp generator to run fridge, freezers and a fan. We keep a 20 gallon supply of gas for the generator and if I use it wisely it will last around 3 weeks. We cook with gas and charcoal.
Oh I'm living with my sister literally across the street. It's not so bad. I'm just disgruntled from the lack of decent communication between GA Power and its customers. Apparently linemen and workers aren't even getting the notifications and reports from people in my neighborhood at times, like GA Power is just not relaying it. I'm disappointed by that if it's true. They've always been good in the past about getting stuff done, but this time around it seems to be slipping every which way.

I'm also just irritated that I can't communicate or relax with my friends the way I want and need to. Chatting over an Xbox party or discord call while we play games is the best way for us to "hang out" when we're separated by different states.

To help others in their time of need, consider a donation to the Red Cross or Samaritans Purse.

My firm just sent $5k to Samaritan’s Purse… we’re also doing a $ for $ match for donations made by our staff…

I’d extend that to anyone here (up to a certain amount)…

If you’re considering a donation to SP and would like my firm to match it, shoot me a PM and we can discuss and I can send you a link (link is direct to SP..)

My firm just sent $5k to Samaritan’s Purse… we’re also doing a $ for $ match for donations made by our staff…

If you’re considering a donation to SP and would like my firm to match it, shoot me a PM and we can discuss and I can send you a link (link is direct to SP..)

I’m in. PM sent.

I'm in as well, and will send a PM.

thanks @WAB and @cash_tx !

we've got a couple of guys in the area and have a few more that will be joining the SP crew over the weekend to participate in relief efforts..

if anyone is interested, there is also a group of former Army SOF types, mostly living in the Ft. Bragg/Liberty area that have all gotten together that are basically rolling around the state in a coordinated effort with chainsaws, logging chains, etc etc that are going into small towns and just helping to clear roads, get houses back in order, delivering water and supplies, etc.. in the places that others arent going to yet (tiny little towns deep in the mountains, etc).. theyre not a formal non-profit.. just a group of very resourceful guys trying to do something to help out... and using their own assets to do it (trucks, saws, etc..etc..).. Because the places they are intentionally hitting are very remote, their only reliable communication system is their portable starlink.. but Im checking in with them regularly and have committed to helping them pay for fuel costs to keep the saws running, trucks on the road, etc.. and have asked them if they have any need to buy supplies or anything else to deliver to let me know and I'd try to help them any way I can... I'm happy to put you in direct touch with the guy that is sorta organizing their efforts if thats the sort of thing you'd rather support than SP or the Red Cross, etc..

For tonight's update, my tenants (who live in the main building next to my little carriage house) got their power back on today. I was supposedly included in that and really should have been.

But from 0900 this morning to when I left for work at 1900, my meter box was still nonfunctional and in fact looks worse than before. The plastic dome is completely blacked out with what I suppose was smoke now. I called GA Power again and told them. I was told someone would come out ASAP and I did see an unidentified pickup truck in my driveway but I got no phone calls or anything about it.

The revised estimate later in the day was for 2200 on 10/04/24. That's in 30 minutes. I'm not hopeful and even if it comes back on, I turned all my breakers off for safety's sake so I doubt my family can even let me know it's resolved.

However, a small joy: Last night I enjoyed some rounds of Space Marine 2 and got to chat with my friends over our comms a little. That cheered me some. Hopefully it won't be much longer...

I’m a little lost on all the reports coming out on FEMA’s actions. They sound like they are beyond gross incompetence, but what motivation could they have for impeding others providing aid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImNumberOne

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]