Replacing binoculars

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
For many years I have used a set of rubber armoured Zeiss 10 X 40 biinos that I bought in Munich years ago. Rugged, lightweight and with good optical capabilities. Well, I can't find them since I returned from a trip to Montana in mid-September. I somehow misplaced them or they were removed from my truck. I need a pair of replacement binos for my western and African hunting this year and ongoing. Since optics have advanced so much in the past 10 - 15 years, I though I'd ask for recommendations here.

Any help in selecting a replacement pair?

For many years I have used a set of rubber armoured Zeiss 10 X 40 biinos that I bought in Munich years ago. Rugged, lightweight and with good optical capabilities. Well, I can't find them since I returned from a trip to Montana in mid-September. I somehow misplaced them or they were removed from my truck. I need a pair of replacement binos for my western and African hunting this year and ongoing. Since optics have advanced so much in the past 10 - 15 years, I though I'd ask for recommendations here.

Any help in selecting a replacement

First big question is do you want a rangefinder in the binoculars or not?

Next question, how much do you use them?

@Nevada Mike I am partial to Swarovski products.

If you are interested in range finding binoculars, I strongly recommend Swarovski EL Range TA. I have compared it to Zeiss Victory RF side by side and I have opted for Swarovski EL Range TA. I am quite happy with these.

As for just straight binos, you might want to consider Swarovski EL or NL Pure. I have used EL since 2002 and recently have upgraded to their 2nd generation in ~2017. Those are now sitting in my safe since I purchased EL Range earlier this year. I have read many good reviews on NL Pure but I have no personal experience with these.

Regards,

I love my Swaros and would have a very hard time leaving them. But, I used Athlon and Meopta binos on a non-hunting trip to Alaska, I was shocked at how nice both were. The Athlon are a 1/2 of the price as the Swaros and Leica and are not far off at all.

I need a new pair as well. Waiting for DSC/SCI shows this year to compare Leicas and Swarowskis.

Best “deal” in binos are the Leica HD-R 10x42. They have basic rangefinding too. They are a ten year old design, blocky, good glass, and they go for around $1400. The fancy Leica HD-B 10x42s with the serious rangefinding bells and whistles run $3000. They go obsolete every year and a new one comes along with more features. My son has the former, I have the latter. I think the base model leica HD-R is the best deal in premium glass. It’s half the price of the swaro, its marginally poorer glass and clarity. It’s a lot better than the Zeiss and costs less.

And if your budget is only $300-$400, the steiners are a hell of a good deal for what they are. The armored 8x33 are very durable and don’t fall apart easily.

I live at 56° N latitude, where dawn and dusk are long drawn out affairs, where we often hunt in forests and where the wildlife tend to be somewhat nocturnal and less active during broad daylight.

Therefore for the last year I have used a pair of Zeiss Victory RF 8x54.

They give a very good image well before dawn and well after dusk. During broad daylight I have nothing to complain about either.

The built in range finder seems to be limited only by your ability to hold the binoculars steady. I've ranged birds on the surface of the sea out to 500-600 meters, while I was myself only 3 meters above the waterlevel.

They are surprisingly small and light for what they are. When I first picked them up in the shop I mistook them for the 42 mm variant.

The 42 mm variant is smaller and lighter. Probably more in line with your previous pair. Both diameters are available in 10X and 8X.

The same binocular optics without the rangefinder is available as the Zeiss Victory HT at roughly 67% of the price and slightly slimmer. (A Zeiss representative told me they are optically identical, the only difference being the rangefinder)

One thing to read up on and test with your own eyes, is the difference caused by field-flatterners in the optical system. Some models like the Swarovski EL and Zeiss SF have these to a high degree. Some like the effect a lot, while some prefer not to have it. You will have to see the effect with your own eyes to decide. It does come at the cost of some light transmission.

Take a look at Kahles 10x42. Compact, great glass, no gadgets and not too heavy. Their scopes are rather good as well.

FN

Stick with the big 3 of Leica, Swaro or Zeiss and you will not be disappointed. At the top of their respective lines you are splitting hairs on optical quality and making a decision based on feel, weight and features.

I currently have the Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 and liked them so much I picked up another set for my bride. We could not be more pleased.

Some of the factors for me were the feel of the armoring and how they fit my hand l. The Swaro EL Range has a bump on the bottom that I didn’t like. I also preferred the LED read out on the Leica vs the LCD on the Swaro. At the same time the Swaro was lighter and more compact. You will have to decide what works best for you.

Last edited:

You really have to give us a budget. The thing with glass is that the cost is equal to the quality. The more it costs the better it is. You will never know what you are missing until you spring for a top model from Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss.
I am thrilled with my brand new Swaro EL Range binos.

Wow, that was a classic bino you misplaced! They were way ahead of their time in optical performance.

I just returned from a Coues deer hunt where the demand on optics is quite high. My bino’s were Swarovski SLC’s. I spent hours on them with no eye fatigue.

Wow, that was a classic bino you misplaced! They were way ahead of their time in optical performance.

I just returned from a Coues deer hunt where the demand on optics is quite high. My bino’s were Swarovski SLC’s. I spent hours on them with no eye fatigue.
^^^^^
this here is what separates the men from the boys in optics hunting, coues deer hunting is an optics game, or blind ass luck that one walks out of the brush. The Swaro 15x56’s are what you will see most when hunting Coues. You can sit behind them all day and not be fatigued. I’m a Swaro guy, but wouldn’t turn down the Leica either. My youngest son has a pair of Zeiss Victory 10’s and they are very good as well, all in the same price range.
E90098FB-58C2-4E4E-A9C7-F344EA60D4D9.jpeg

Image1636122276.196018.jpg

You’ve got that right! Our optics on this hunt were; Swaro 15x56 SLC, Swaro 10x42 SLC, Swaro 10x42 EL, Leupold 10-30x50 spotter. The Leupold is likely to be replaced before next season.

Most of my hunting near home is for Coues deer, Since I live in the mountains of SE Arizona. My dilemma is whether I should opt for the 15X56 or stay with quality 10X40 or 42 for general use. The 15 X 56 glass is superb, but heavy. My recent Zeiss glasses were just 23 ounces. Maybe I need TWO pairs.

WAB - - that's a nice Coues buck!

Most of my hunting near home is for Coues deer, Since I live in the mountains of SE Arizona. My dilemma is whether I should opt for the 15X56 or stay with quality 10X40 or 42 for general use. The 15 X 56 glass is superb, but heavy. My recent Zeiss glasses were just 23 ounces. Maybe I need TWO pairs.

You definitely need two pair. The 15x56 are specialized glass and really need to be used with a tripod.

I purchased Swarovski SLC 8X42 this year, absolutely love them. They are hard to find since they are being branded the as new Kahles Helia S. Same binocular as the SLC, Different color.

I preferred the SLC over the EL, but everyone's eyes are different.

I was very happy with my Tract Toric 10x42s this year. I think Leicas 10x42 Trinvolds were the same optical quality more or less but slightly smaller and $300 more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaraAlders

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with