Reliability of single-shot rifles

There is a new k95 with a synthetic stock. That is what I would buy.

There is a new k95 with a synthetic stock. That is what I would buy.
I couldn't find a true synthetic K95...

The only one that is available in synthetic is a carbon fiber stock that @JanP mentioned earlier in the thread. At a cost of $11,000 USD, £7,800 or €9000...if one could be found, it's out of the OP's price range of £2K.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

bob, it is a browning low wall(made 1995-2001), they made about 200-300 in .260. they were also made in.243 winchester and.22 hornet and .223. pic #1, left-high wall 45-70, right low wall .260. pic #2 top high wall 45-70, bottom low wall .260

DSCN0993.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0998.JPG
    DSCN0998.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
  • DSCN0997.JPG
    DSCN0997.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I couldn't find a true synthetic K95...

The only one that is available in synthetic is a carbon fiber stock that @JanP mentioned earlier in the thread. At a cost of $11,000 USD, £7,800 or €9000...if one could be found, it's out of the OP's price range of £2K.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've got a budget of approx £6000.00/$8000.00 USD (excluding glass - I'm already sorted in that department).

I've had a look at the Blaser K95 synthetic - not fond of the stock. Looks ghastly in my opinion, but I'm a traditionalist. Same story with the carbon stock. Looks very odd, and the leather inserts are a bit of a joke. If you're going to build a carbon stock for maximum weather resistance...why add leather to it? Horses for courses.

The rifle must have take-down capabilities. The good thing about the Kipplaufs is that you don't require any tools to do this - so that's one less thing that can go wrong.

My options at the moment are: Blaser K95, Merkel K5, and the Krieghoff Hubertus. Has anybody A/B'd these rifles and able to give me a run down of how they differ in terms of corrosion resistance, robustness, and user friendliness?

@Red Leg I've never had a good look at the R8 system. I've used Mauser M98's in the past (my preferred choice of bolt-action) and the R8 seems quite complicated in comparison. How reliable are they?

bob, it is a browning low wall(made 1995-2001), they made about 200-300 in .260. they were also made in.243 winchester and.22 hornet and .223. pic #1, left-high wall 45-70, right low wall .260. pic #2 top high wall 45-70, bottom low wall .260

View attachment 403855
@leslie hetrick
You have my sincere apologies mate I stand corrected. I was always under the impression the lowall especially the early ones wouldn't stand the pressures of the 260.
My lowall was made in 1891 and is the original flat spring and I wouldn't rebarrel it to anything hotter than the 22K Hornet or 218 bee.
The newer Browning models must be a lot stronger. I would love a Browning Hiwall chambered in my 25.
I have heard reports of the Harrington and Richardson single shot in 25 ought six with a 26 inch barrel shooting half inch groups. Now that would be nice.
Bob

bob, no apologies needed and you are right that the older winchester low walls would not stand the pressure of the 260 or the 243. i like the browning-winchester-ruger-TC G2 AND TC ENCORE single shot rifles.

I've got a budget of approx £6000.00/$8000.00 USD (excluding glass - I'm already sorted in that department).

I've had a look at the Blaser K95 synthetic - not fond of the stock. Looks ghastly in my opinion, but I'm a traditionalist. Same story with the carbon stock. Looks very odd, and the leather inserts are a bit of a joke. If you're going to build a carbon stock for maximum weather resistance...why add leather to it? Horses for courses.

The rifle must have take-down capabilities. The good thing about the Kipplaufs is that you don't require any tools to do this - so that's one less thing that can go wrong.

My options at the moment are: Blaser K95, Merkel K5, and the Krieghoff Hubertus. Has anybody A/B'd these rifles and able to give me a run down of how they differ in terms of corrosion resistance, robustness, and user friendliness?

@Red Leg I've never had a good look at the R8 system. I've used Mauser M98's in the past (my preferred choice of bolt-action) and the R8 seems quite complicated in comparison. How reliable are they?
My wife and I each own Blaser R8's. Hers is a wood stocked Intuition, mine a synthetic Professional. They do require a metric hex wrench to perform the takedown, so it's another thing to carry. After shooting these for quite some time, I'm convinced they are absolutely reliable. They are no more complicated from a user standpoint than a normal bolt action rifle, although there are significant differences. After 15 minutes of messing around with them, you will feel quite comfortable with the assembly/disassembly. I highly recommend visiting a Blaser dealer to do this before you buy.

@Red Leg owns 2 Blaser R8's as well, and I suspect he will be commenting shortly.

I do not have either the K95 nor K5. I have only handled each of them a couple of years ago at the SCI Convention. The K5 had a better price. The K95, I thought, was smoother for opening and closing the action but that is something you should try for yourself before making a decision. I know I would choose the Blaser K95.
I think the bare weight of the K5 & K95 is in the 5-6 lb. range. I also think the Ruger #1's are heavier than the Blaser R8's. I would have to check this, I do have both and it seems that every time I pick up a #1 I am astonished at its heavier, weight.
The Blaser R8 is very reliable and is not that complicated as far as function, though I would not want to try and take apart the bolt housing mechanism. I also think a synthetic stock R8 is lighter than a Ruger #1.
Here are a couple of pages from the Blaser Catalogue on the K95.

Attachments

So I love double rifles, CRF's based on the venerable '98. and singles. However, I have used the Blaser R8 pretty extensively for the last three years in North America and Africa because it is simply a better option. A major driver in my personal priority list is transportability (sounds like it might be for you as well). The only rifle easier to pack is a double, and none of my doubles (to include the amazing S2) is as versatile as my R8. The R8 also has the best trigger available in any production rifle currently assembled. But, it is also complimented by perfect ergonomics. Moreover, It exhibits boringly sub-MOA accuracy in every caliber that I own (.257 Wby, 6.5X55. .300 Win mag, .375 H&H, and .404). Everything that matters is either easily accessed or polymer. As much as I love the classics, the R8 really is a better mouse trap.

I have a Merkel K3 in 30-06 and the wife has a Merkel K1 in 7x57R. They are both deadly accurate and have done a lot of traveling. Their hard cases fit in the bottom of a drop bottom duffle bag which makes traveling with them convenient and very low profile. They have both killed a lot of whitetail, Texas exotics and some red deer in Argentina and the UK. They have been taken apart and reassembled more times than I can imagine and always return to zero. Pleasure to carry and shoot.

Safe shooting……LL

Cheers mate.

Yes, I understand they're popular rifles for alpine use. But mine will be used as a work-horse, not just a fair weather gun, or for short excursions.

Stints in the field will range between a few weeks to months. So a gunsmith, or special tools will not be available. Hence why I'm asking how they'd handle getting wet and/or dirty.

Some images of the Merkel K5 (same design as the Blaser K95):

View attachment 403726

View attachment 403727

View attachment 403728
it would be an improved rifle with the buttstock removed, thrown in the fire, and replaced.
surely by now gunmakers have learned what constitutes good stock design.
bruce.

The new K95 wooden stock is straight, without the large drop.

I like the look of Krieghoff Hubertus, I’ve handled one at the K factory in Ulm and it is a lovely rifle. My issue with it and the reason why I’ll choose a different rifle is that unlike Merkel, Blaser, Haenel Jaeger 9 or Sabatti it is a traditional break action rifle vs tilting block design. This means it is potentially less accurate and needs a heavier, steel receiver for the more potent cartridges. With tilting block design the lockup is between the barrel and the block, very strong system that does not put force on the receiver.

yes there is a picture of a straight k95 stock in another thread, and it is nicely straight.
it is however afflicted by a too tight pistol grip.
just when they have a chance to do it well they always miss something. human nature.
bruce.

Yeah, but those straight stocks are rubbish with iron sights. Isn't that what the hogsback stocks were designed for?

True, I suppose one needs to make a choice of the primary sighting system to be used when considering stock design.

Personally I’m not too fond of the German stock shapes, I much prefer the American sporter design, but that’s just me.

it would be an improved rifle with the buttstock removed, thrown in the fire, and replaced.
surely by now gunmakers have learned what constitutes good stock design.
bruce.
Bruce, you are sounding like a cranky old man again.
Don't hold back now. Tell em what you think.
Telling em to burn the stock is a bit harsh.
I hope the OP finds something to suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BladeFangsPaulina

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well