Refining your dangerous game cartridge selection over the years

No refinement in mine over the years, but I did start with the .375 H&H. Then I just went off the reservation. :-). Last purchase was a .450 Rigby that I hope to be my go to on repeat trips. I still have a brace of rifles that I want to take on at least one trip, but hope I love the .450 Rigby.
I spoke too soon, another 450 Rigby owner haha.

Which rifle?

More than 30 years ago, at a time when I had no internet and no experience with big game hunting, I shot my first buffaloes with borrowed rifles and cartridges like the 9,3x74R and 375 H&H Magnum. It quickly occurred to me that bigger would certainly work better and I started looking for a rifle with a bigger caliber. At a time when there was hardly anything else on the market for these purposes other than rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum or 458 Winchester Magnum, I bought a used rifle caliber 10,75x68. After shooting some buffaloes with it, I recognized the weak points of this cartridge and started looking for something better. I came to an old used Brevex custom rifle caliber 460 Weatherby Magnum that turned out to be ideal for my big game hunting needs. I shot my first elephant with this rifle more than 20 years ago and also in the meantime several buffaloes as well as other game species. In order to make a childhood dream from the sixties come true, I had a rifle caliber 500 jeffery built at the end of the nineties, but I had no need of such a rifle. Nevertheless, I shot some elephants and other game with it and was able to appreciate its working, above all by elephant hunting.
I'm building an A-Square Hannibal clone in .460 Weatherby right now. Magazine will hold three plus one in the tube....I figure four is enough for a turn bolt. My original A-Square clone is a .375 Weatherby which I think is an excellent cartridge. I've put about 60-80 .375 H&H's out of it and they shoot just fine. But the Weatherby has more zoot. I've chronographed it at 2889 ft/s with a 300 gr, so it's pretty close to a .378. I just need to take it to Africa. But I also want to take the .375 Roy to Alaska. I think it would nuke a brown bear :)

My collection is , well, boring. Many years ago I bought a gently used .375 Browning a-bolt for $800, put a $400 leupold scope on it and it was boringly accurate out past 200 yards. Accounted for 25 pg species and four of the dangerous seven. Then went the Blaser R8 route and added a .416 Ruger as well as the .375. I have never felt the bug to get a double or go bigger. I would rather spend the funds to go back to Africa. Every animal I have pulled the trigger on with them has gone down quickly. Probably the minority opinion on this forum.

I have an absolutely beautiful AHR CZ 550 in .450 Rigby, that I love, just don’t shoot…. Because I have three .458 Lotts and a plethora of other big big bores. The draw to the caliber was my favorite bullet size, the.458 diameter, and the name Rigby. Impulse buy, but dynamite rig… I should sell so she gets more love and attention, plus her sights on an elephant!

As someone who’s always loved Pre64 M70’s I started with a Transition period Pre64 M70 375. Had the opportunity to add a Pre64 Super Grade which I used on my first Safari and first Buffalo. Collecting Pre64’s I’ve since added most configurations of 375 M70’s aside from a PreWar Super Grade, a 1938 straight taper, and a carbine to the safe and presently have 7 Pre64 m70’s having sold a couple others along the way.

I then traded into a pair of BRNO-602’s in 375 and 458WM.

I got a great deal on a Pre64 458, as well as a post64 late 60’s/70’s CFR 458. Around this time I had the itch for a double and ordered a Chapuis 470 during Covid. While waiting on the Chapuis, a Merkel 140AE in 500NE found its way into my lap.

I sold the BRNO’s to an AH member with several other non DG rifles to help offset a Zim hunt. Upon returning got serious about wanting to use a DR moving forward and after shooting both the Merkel and Chapuis back to back decided the LOP too short on the Merkel and sold it to an AH member earlier this year. Since then I picked up another 500NE that was priced too good to pass-up, and took possession of a Hyem 470.

I really want a PreWar British Double and expect to sell a couple of the DR’s in my possession to apply some money towards one.

My go to DG rifle is still the same Pre64 Super Grade .375 that I took on my first Safari and took my first buffalo with. I’ve taken it on every Safari since and plan to use this same rifle to complete both my Big 5 and Tiny 10. I’ve also got a PreWar 275 Rigby that will eventually become my PG and Cat rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawrenceBu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?