Reedbuck, common vs mountain

Thank you Adriaan. I love the 25-06 for flat shooting. It is actually my Dad's rifle, but I shot it a great deal when I was younger. Plus it has Leupold glass same as my .270 so I know I have some faith in it. Just need to try a few loads to see what it likes in a premium bullet (core-lokts, super x etc. has been fine in it for whitetail, and even 2 caribou my dad took with it, but I would like to up my game for this trip).
That 25-06 will get the job done. What a lovely calibre!

Yea could be;) Where do you think that would be? Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania, maybe back to Zimbabwe?

Yes, that should be a good start. You will of course need to be monitored closely by an observer who truly understands the situation. Very important to your recovery... :E Big Grin:

The main difference between these two species as far as the hunting experience goes is the terrain that you will hunt them in.
In the KZN Midlands/Drakensberg area, common reedbuck are extremely common in agricultural areas where these is green feed through the winter (dairy pastures and the like). So they're not too challenging to find in developed agricultural land in that area. They also prefer to sit tight and hide if possible, so generally not massively difficult to hunt once you find them.
This all changes if you're hunting them in a more wild environment with no pasture to hold them - then they can be very difficult to locate and hunt.

Mountain reedbuck on the other hand are more challenging to hunt as it means going up into the mountains. They are far more likely to run first and look back later than their lowland (common) cousins. Huntign them requires a degree pof physical fitness and a degree of shooting skill as distances can be a bit further due to the terrain.

One thing I have noticed with these species is they are some of the softest African antelope to shoot. You do not need super-duper heavy magnum calibres to drop them! And due to the soft flesh, they get really badly mangled by fast bullets on shoulder shots.

For those interested, Gregor Woods has written a lot of articles about the 6x45 wildcat that he resurrected in SA primarily for hunting the reedbuck family. A moderate velocity 100-105gr .243 bullet is ample for both versions of reedbuck.

My common&mountain
My Mountain reedbuck was less challenging to hunt due to the terrain
My common was much harder in a wild environment with no pasture to hold it in a mountain area

IMG_reedbuck.jpg
Screenshot_20230220_104203_Facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt