Reedbuck, common vs mountain

Thank you Adriaan. I love the 25-06 for flat shooting. It is actually my Dad's rifle, but I shot it a great deal when I was younger. Plus it has Leupold glass same as my .270 so I know I have some faith in it. Just need to try a few loads to see what it likes in a premium bullet (core-lokts, super x etc. has been fine in it for whitetail, and even 2 caribou my dad took with it, but I would like to up my game for this trip).
That 25-06 will get the job done. What a lovely calibre!
 
Yea could be;) Where do you think that would be? Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania, maybe back to Zimbabwe?

Yes, that should be a good start. You will of course need to be monitored closely by an observer who truly understands the situation. Very important to your recovery... :E Big Grin:
 
The main difference between these two species as far as the hunting experience goes is the terrain that you will hunt them in.
In the KZN Midlands/Drakensberg area, common reedbuck are extremely common in agricultural areas where these is green feed through the winter (dairy pastures and the like). So they're not too challenging to find in developed agricultural land in that area. They also prefer to sit tight and hide if possible, so generally not massively difficult to hunt once you find them.
This all changes if you're hunting them in a more wild environment with no pasture to hold them - then they can be very difficult to locate and hunt.

Mountain reedbuck on the other hand are more challenging to hunt as it means going up into the mountains. They are far more likely to run first and look back later than their lowland (common) cousins. Huntign them requires a degree pof physical fitness and a degree of shooting skill as distances can be a bit further due to the terrain.

One thing I have noticed with these species is they are some of the softest African antelope to shoot. You do not need super-duper heavy magnum calibres to drop them! And due to the soft flesh, they get really badly mangled by fast bullets on shoulder shots.

For those interested, Gregor Woods has written a lot of articles about the 6x45 wildcat that he resurrected in SA primarily for hunting the reedbuck family. A moderate velocity 100-105gr .243 bullet is ample for both versions of reedbuck.
 
My common&mountain
My Mountain reedbuck was less challenging to hunt due to the terrain
My common was much harder in a wild environment with no pasture to hold it in a mountain area

IMG_reedbuck.jpg
Screenshot_20230220_104203_Facebook.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,415
Messages
1,575,543
Members
170,353
Latest member
mzplaymy
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top