Recommended dangerous game bullets and cartridges?

It looks like the jacket thickness listed for the 550 grain .458 round nose is .050". I don't know how that compares to other commonly used bullets.

So I talked to Jeremy at Aria Ammunition today and he’s sending me 10rds of the Hawk 550gr 458 WinMag…
He told me these are his favorite for Buff in Africa! He said that the impact and energy dump are crazy and that just hit harder than anything for a SP in 458 WinMag!
He’s been out more than most of us combined!
Now this is his loaded round that has a 550gr Hawk at 2200fps! Serious energy!View attachment 631843View attachment 631844View attachment 631845
His exact words were 550gr Hawks! A sight to behold!

I am amazed that it can reach this speed with such a heavy bullet,
You need a press load even at 100gn less.
What powder and load does he use, please ask him.
Thank you.

I used Cutting Edge solids in 416, 400 gr on elephant, knocked him off his feet with a heart lung shot, PH said it was the first time they ever saw a bull get knocked down by a body shot.They are very accurate to and shoot to same point of impact as the Barnes 400 grain TSX. They are 67% of caliber matepat, large flat point and seem to hit really hard and feed perfectly in my Kimber Caprivi 416 Remington ,I like them better than Barnes. As for expanders, you can't go wrong with Barnes TSX, or I also am going to try some North Fork Percussion Points as well as their cup point solids. Now days there are several excellent DG bullets on the market, so don't wait for Swift. I am told they only make DG bullets once every couple of years, which I think is very disrespectful of their customers needs.

Here are also a few classic SP bullets from Hornady, the predecessor model of the DG series and which, despite their appearance, did their job on buffaloes. The driving force behind was the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum. Maybe that is the difference. They were heart or lung shots, not frontal head shots where many other bullets could also fail.

It's not as some people here believe. I have also used other bullets with the same cartridge, including the Swift A-Frame and the Barnes TSX. On the other side, with completely different cartridges such as the 10,75x68 or the 11,2x72 Schüler, I used very marginal old bullets that also worked well thanks to a good shot placement, but I want not repeat such experiments.

All of this to say that one should remain somewhat critical when it comes to bullets and not immediately condemn some of that.

View attachment 628898

What was meant by my first post was the difference between the SP bullets that are bonded and the older models that are not. I used both types of bullets without noticing a big difference in the working and the remaining weight of the bullet after impact and penetration. I have also used premium bonded bullets to shot buffaloes, including the Swift A-Frame and the Barnes TSX, otherwise I could not say anything about their working compared to other bullets.

As for the Hawk bullets, some say they are clones of the old Barnes bullets. In this case they have the same jacket thickness as that of the Hornady bullets. Woodleigh and especially Degol make classic SP RN bullets with thick jackets.

Hornady .458 500gr Interbond RN bullet
View attachment 631910
I can’t understand why you continue doubling down on your statements. You posted photos of 5 of your bullets that appear in the 30-60% weight retention range. If you posted 5 swift A frames they’d be in 85-90% percent weight retention. If you posted 5 Barnes TSX they’d be 95-100% weight retention. I’m glad non-bonded bullets killed buffalo for you in past, but even from your own photos they are not dependable performance. Your definition of minimal difference between in the working of bullets and minimal difference of remaining weight is apparently very different from my definition. 30% vs 90% is a significant difference.

CZDiesel, Good job. That is very interesting, Thanks. Did he say how thick the jacket is on these?
Please keep us up today on your results. When are you going to hunt buffalo? Brian

I am amazed that it can reach this speed with such a heavy bullet,
You need a press load even at 100gn less.
What powder and load does he use, please ask him.
Thank you.
He uses custom proprietary powders and won’t give out his powder info. You can always call them

Thanks to all for the information on the Hawk Bullets jacket thickness's.

I have seen Woodleigh SP bullets, that were used on DG and normal game and those of other manufacturers that are not bonded. The difference between them is very noticeable in regards to retained weight. This is not a put down of the other manufacturers just my observations. I think if Hornady had of used the Interbond Bullet Grand Veneur posted in the DGX they may of had few complaints about them.

For bullets used on non DG and non Large Game ( animals the size of cattle) there is probably no need for bonded bullets if the lead and jackets are strong enough to do the job. I have had conventional 130grain 270 bullets fail on pigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SgtDog0311

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]